The C&C class you play the least or don't like to play

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.

Which class do you not like to play and why?

Fighter
3%
Ranger
No votes
Rogue
13%
Assassin
10%
Barbarian
3%
Monk
30%
Wizard
10%
Illusionist
7%
Cleric
3%
Druid
No votes
Knight
3%
Paladin
7%
Bard
10%

Total votes: 30

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

The C&C class you play the least or don't like to play

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks for voting! :)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: The C&C class you play the least or don't like to play

Post by Tadhg »

For me, fighter. It's a great class and is very rewarding, but after playing this class back in the day, I've always wanted to explore and realize the other classes. :P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Monk, and behind that the illusionist.

I think the monk would be an o.k. npc, but his armour class is just too weak.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Bard. After playing one all the way up to 14th level in 1E AD&D, all others have just paled too much in comparison.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Knight or paladin because I find them boring.

GoOrange
Mist Elf

Post by GoOrange »

Monk and then Illusionist.

I never cared for the monk as a concept and they always seemed underpowered at low levels. Attacks and defense never seemed to compete with a fighter-type, and the other abilities don't compensate for this. IMO.

The Illusionist always seemed odd as a class unto itself. It would make more sense for me for it to just be a mage that focuses on illusion spells.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

slimykuotoan wrote:I think the monk would be an o.k. npc, but his armour class is just too weak.
Agreed on monk AC. A 1st level monk should be better at defending himself without armor than a 1st level wizard. I give the monk an across-the-board +1 to it AC compared to the AC listed in the PHB.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

serleran wrote:Knight or paladin because I find them boring.
Especially the paladin.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

The C&C Rogue is too weak. I do house rule the class giving d8 hit dice and BtH equal to the cleric.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I’d have to go with Wizards. I just enjoy being in the thick of things too much.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I voted rogue. Like Jyrdan, I enjoy being in the thick of things too much. I don't want to spend combat sneaking around for a back attack or firing the occasional short bow. Multiclassed thieves are okay, though. As a CK, I particularly hate knights, paladins, and barbarians. I would have no problem playing one, though.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Monk - never liked the feel of the class (from the beginning). Then the Assassin (boring) and then the Knight. Disliked since UA days. Should have never been a separate class. Might as well make Foot soldier class as well...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I am not very interested in playing Paladins. Which means I should probably try it sometime.

I like casters, but they become a lot of paperwork as you level so I will probably play them less and less.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Barbarian: I have yet to come up with a personally compelling character idea that fits the barbarian class. If I were to play a 'front-line' class, I think I would go for a fighter over a barbarian.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

The monk is okay as a class I suppose, but it doesn't really fit with traditional fantasy for me. I do let my players choose that class, however. The knight sort of seems limited to specific campaigns. I think the rogue is okay, but a friend of mine doesn't like that their bth is only slightly above the wizard at higher levels. Probably could do with a bit of beefing up. All in all, most of the classes are okay. I don't think I detest any of them.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Yeah, unfortunately, I have to pick the monk, too. It's not the mechanics more than the flavor - even though it's a decent concept, I can't unwrap my head around the esoteric/mystic concept and it not being something that fits with everything else (for me). I guess it there was a psionicist class, the monk wouldn't be my least favorite. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Lord Dynel wrote:Yeah, unfortunately, I have to pick the monk, too. It's not the mechanics more than the flavor - even though it's a decent concept, I can't unwrap my head around the esoteric/mystic concept and it not being something that fits with everything else (for me). I guess it there was a psionicist class, the monk wouldn't be my least favorite. :)
I love monks. Now I'm going to have to write up a psionicist class just to make you hate on something else. ;)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:Yeah, unfortunately, I have to pick the monk, too. It's not the mechanics more than the flavor - even though it's a decent concept, I can't unwrap my head around the esoteric/mystic concept and it not being something that fits with everything else (for me). I guess it there was a psionicist class, the monk wouldn't be my least favorite. :)
I love monks. Now I'm going to have to write up a psionicist class just to make you hate on something else. ;)
Awesome. I feel guilty liking the monk the least. :)

And since the Tainted Lands classes weren't included, the monk took the full brunt. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

You know, the last time I played a rogue, that’s exactly what happened to me. I spent most of the combat setting up the perfect backstab, only to have the fighter killsteal me (something he did on purpose, too, I might add).
Buttmonkey wrote: I don't want to spend combat sneaking around for a back attack or firing the occasional short bow..

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:You know, the last time I played a rogue, that’s exactly what happened to me. I spent most of the combat setting up the perfect backstab, only to have the fighter killsteal me (something he did on purpose, too, I might add).
Why don't you use missile weapons???

House Rules

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Beat you to it. :P

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rigon wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:
Beat you to it. :P

R-
Yay! One less thing for me to procrastinate doing.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
serleran wrote:Knight or paladin because I find them boring.
Especially the paladin.

R-

Blasphemers !!!!! ;)

I picked Mage, long history with not liking them. My first character was a mage and sadly the party I was playing in were but heads. After I cast my few spells, they picked me up and tossed me to the remaining orcs. Needless to say, not a good memory. Plus like others have said, as the spells ramp up it gets to be more like bookwork than fun. Also, like Jyrdan, I'm more of the 'in the thick of things' player so setting back and flinging spells isn't my cup of tea.

I'd throw Monk in there, with a caveat. I don't like the eastern/mystic feel. However, I do like the idea of a Greek Pankrationist type character. Morph the monk into that and it would be playable!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Monk. I prefer my fantasy gaming more swords, wizards, warriors, knights, etc. and less Kung-Fu.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

How about a bar room brawler type monk who is also a man of the cloth? Or crazy hermit... but anyway.. seems like favored or least is all up to the folks and the game all the beauty of CnC
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Captain_K wrote:How about a bar room brawler type monk who is also a man of the cloth? Or crazy hermit... but anyway.. seems like favored or least is all up to the folks and the game all the beauty of CnC
I allow a Monk type that doesn't want to "shed blood" (so they pummel the crap out of 'em instead). A monk in the Western tradition. Quarter staff and what not.

House Rules

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Because I did more damage with my melee weapon…clearly, it was not because it had been years since I had played at the time, and hadn’t thought about that. :D
Arduin wrote:
Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:You know, the last time I played a rogue, that’s exactly what happened to me. I spent most of the combat setting up the perfect backstab, only to have the fighter killsteal me (something he did on purpose, too, I might add).
Why don't you use missile weapons???

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

I really like Monks, being maybe second in preference after Fighters, but I prefer how they're presented in OD&D and AD&D to how C&C does them.

To me, Knights are the class I enjoy least, probably followed by Barbarians.