CZ Upper Works question

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
csperkins1970
Ulthal

CZ Upper Works question

Post by csperkins1970 »

Hey,
This is a question for the Trolls-in-Chief of TLG.

I realize that I'm probably out of luck BUT I just looked through my CZ: The Upper Works boxed set and see that the illustration/map booklet is missing. If you have any in stock would it be possible to get that booklet shipped or a pdf of the book emailed to me (even though the product is discontinued).

Thanks for any reply, even if it's not possible.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: CZ Upper Works question

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'd be shocked if they have it, but I wish you luck. As best I recall, they had to destroy all remaining Gary product after their license was revoked.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:I'd be shocked if they have it, but I wish you luck. As best I recall, they had to destroy all remaining Gary product after their license was revoked.
That's what I remember being the case also.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Thanks guys. I contacted the Trolls and, hopefully, they can scrounge up something!
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Wow, sorry! I bet you're pissed that you didn't review your order those many years ago.

But, I should think that they may and probably should have a digital or print copy for product support and customer service, even if their license was ended!

The purchase of a product and it's contents is a contract. And so, I should think they would have re-placement/missing items in stock for such a scenario to ensure the fulfillment of said contract.

Unless some statute of limitations is involved.

BM! Any thought on this?
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I may be wrong, but if the sale was "as-is" then there is no recourse, and you accept the item in the condition and state at the point of sale. Caveat emptor and all that.

I don't remember it being an "as-is" sale, but I also didn't purchase mine. Sometimes, being a contributor is helpful.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I know, as we all do, that there's no pdf of the boxed set. I wish there was, NOT so it could be distributed all over the net, but just for private use. I don't want to manhandle my books too much. It's the old comic book guy in me. I'm always kid gloves with most everything. Thankfully, I did get the map booklet.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

I definitely should have checked all of my CZ stuff upon arrival BUT immediately enshrined it on my shelves of geek stuff. Lesson learned!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I could have bought a second one at a game store (sometime after GenCon). Sat there for awhile, because let's face it...it may have been a Gary Gygax product, but it was most likely going to appeal to C&C players. LA, and Cyborg Commando, didn't fly off of the shelf. Either way, I eventually went back to get it (sometime in 2009). I thought one for the shelf, and one for play (with kid gloves, of course). I was too late. Somebody else bought it, and I found out why. 100+dollars on Ebay. :( At least I have one copy.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rhuvein wrote:BM! Any thought on this?
Yes. Never give legal advice over the internet! :lol:

My current job doesn't require me to have malpractice insurance, so I practically never give legal advice any more. I'd also note that the applicable law would vary by jurisdiction and I have no idea whether I am licensed in the state or states that are involved. All of that said, if the boxed set was purchased from a game store, try going back to them and requesting a refund. In the bizarre event they trust that booklet was missing when the set was sold, there is a chance they would refund some or all of the purchase price in exchange for getting the used set back. It may be worth more on eBay than the refund cost. I'm not saying they are obligated to issue a refund, but they might. If you got the boxed set directly from the Trolls, it sounds like you already contacted them and they are working to help you out.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

The Trolls are going to look into this after Gary Con. No matter what the resolution, I'm grateful that they responding to my email and will spend their time trying to resolve it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm sure, at the very least, you can find a friend who will let you scan the booklet for your own personal use in your boxed set.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Hopefully there is a good outcome. It's a shame that so much of Gary Gygax's creations have been moved into the land of out of print.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

The Trolls took great care of me. They really are awesome at respecting their customers.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Excellent!!!
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

csperkins1970 wrote:The Trolls took great care of me. They really are awesome at respecting their customers.
Yes they are. More so than any place I've ever had dealings.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

csperkins1970 wrote:The Trolls took great care of me. They really are awesome at respecting their customers.
Sweet! That's great to hear read.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

In the end, the Trolls to their level best to take care of customers.