Missing info/errata for Slag Heap A2

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
phantomwhale
Henchman

Missing info/errata for Slag Heap A2

Post by phantomwhale »

[*]So I find myself going through A2, and a few things have stuck out so far:

[potential minor spoilers ahead]

- No XP on anything! Sure, I've got my monsters and treasure guide, but surprised given all the updates this has gone through, I still have to manually lookup XP after each fight. Also I'm not sure how much XP to give to level X humans - treat as a basic X Hit Dice monster, I'm guessing. Although with their abilities... I don't know.

- Miles Frelund, should have a base AC of 14 from him Monk class. And he has Dex 14, so +2. He also has an armband of protection +3; which the reader is left to guess works the same as a protection ring, I guess. However he's listed as AC 17, which means he's missing his Dex bonus, I guess ?

- Grazsh has no HPs listed

- Super nitpick but... Short sword or shortsword ? Long sword or Longsword ? This adventure has them all :)

- Dread Mire: zombies listed with three actual HP values - but 1d8 of them are encountered. Also listed as having rot grub infestation, but no rules for what this actually is?

- Rigglers Trail random encounters - Cougar - no stats ?
- Overland random encounters - Bandits - no stats ? Giant spiders - small / medium or large ?
- The Barren Wood - Bandits and Hyenas - no stats ? Large bear - what type ?

- Slag heap, area 3 - Ungern have 16 and 17 HP. For a 2d8 creature, one of these values is particularly high / impossible

- The map says "Riggles Trail" - the book says Rigglers Trail

Potentially more to come, I'm just going through all monster blocks to add in missing XP values, and not far in yet...

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Missing info/errata for Slag Heap A2

Post by Traveller »

After the 4th printing revamp of Monsters & Treasure, be thankful that Slag Heap doesn't list the XP values for any creatures. More than likely the values in the adventure would be wrong.

Different CKs will assign XP in different ways for beings with levels, which is why there is no set means in the core books to determine XP for such beings. The easiest way is as you mentioned, using the level of the creature. For example, a 6th-level wizard would have a base XP of 120+6. Add appropriate specials, which in the case of a 6th-level Wizard would be both a Type I (60XP) and Type II (90XP). Total XP would be 270+6. Somewhere on the forum I have a post where I detail some guidelines on how to assign specials for classes.

For the other items you mentioned, you apparently have the earlier printing of Slag Heap. The latest printing (2nd printing, with blue cover), fixes Miles' AC, though Grazsh still only lists his hit dice instead of having hit dice and a pre-generated hit point total. The Dread Mire zombies still have the hit point setup as mentioned, and were I to guess, you'd simply assign the figures given repeatedly to the zombies, or else you could roll up your own.

phantomwhale
Henchman

Post by phantomwhale »

Interesting, I have the PDF copy with the blue cover via RPGNow (and the extra "To the slag heap" encounters added in etc...) and Miles AC is still 17 in that. Were there multiple releases of that edition, I wonder?

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Nah. I misread your comment about Miles. He still has AC 17 in the 2d print. I know that for Bluffside, it was made plain in the stat blocks what provided the adjustments, though I don't remember if the authors had done that beforehand or if I added it later. Using the example of Miles, his AC in a Bluffside-style stat block would read, "AC 19 (+2 DEX, armband of protection +3)".

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Makes me wonder if all the problems in the module with the Ziggurat have been fixed. I can't recall off the top of my head if that is A3 or A4.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I couldn't tell you as I haven't looked through any of the A series I have (A0-A7), and honestly, at this moment neither could the Trolls. Between writing additional Aufstrag material, Victorious, not to mention conventions the guys I'm sure are strung rather thin right at the moment. This is probably the busiest time of year for them, isn't it?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Traveller wrote:I couldn't tell you as I haven't looked through any of the A series I have (A0-A7), and honestly, at this moment neither could the Trolls. Between writing additional Aufstrag material, Victorious, not to mention conventions the guys I'm sure are strung rather thin right at the moment. This is probably the busiest time of year for them, isn't it?
Probably. Plus I think they are trying to restart Troll Con in November. I just don't know if that will be this year, or next year.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Ziggurat is in A3 The Wicked Cauldron. As for TrollCon... November? We've already got Gamehole earlier in November. I hope we find out soon. I've vowed never to miss another TC. Also, its been a long time since I've conversed with Davis.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote:Ziggurat is in A3 The Wicked Cauldron. As for TrollCon... November? We've already got Gamehole earlier in November. I hope we find out soon. I've vowed never to miss another TC. Also, its been a long time since I've conversed with Davis.
Yeah, Steve specifically mentioned the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.