Hey, computer people...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
mmbutter
Red Cap

Re: Hey, computer people...

Post by mmbutter »

Michael Montalto wrote:Apple is positioned as the third largest PC vendor in the United States, and continues to trail only HP and Dell when it comes to market share.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/app ... ates-1q15/

I could list several other sources but I think you get my point.
From your article: "Apple saw 1.7 percent growth with 10.9 percent market share"

1/10 of the market is a pretty small share.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

mmbutter wrote:
Michael Montalto wrote:Apple is positioned as the third largest PC vendor in the United States, and continues to trail only HP and Dell when it comes to market share.

From your article: "Apple saw 1.7 percent growth with 10.9 percent market share"

Yup. And there are reasons that it cannot compete with Win based systems. Obviously after decades of market sort out. After 35 years of working in the field with both types of systems it is clear that when the rubber meets the road, Apple personal computers are lacking.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Or people are so set in their ways and believe that they really are so expensive, $3,000 thrown out numerous times when of course that is the high end model.

But honestly I don't want everyone to switch. It would be horrible!!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/ ... shrinks-75

A article from Jan 2014. Macs getting a 28% growth year of year compared to a 7.5% shrinkage of the PC market.

Mean with a 13% share its only less than HP market share.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

mmbutter wrote:

Ummm yea that is the share from 2014 first quarter. From same article first quarter 2015 is 12%.

Which it's the forth quarter that's big always.

Plus what I got from reading the article is that Apple is still seeing growth while the others are shrinking.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

thenorthman wrote:
mmbutter wrote:

Ummm yea that is the share from 2014 first quarter. From same article first quarter 2015 is 12%.

Which it's the forth quarter that's big always.

Plus what I got from reading the article is that Apple is still seeing growth while the others are shrinking.
"Less than four weeks after its release, Microsoft's Windows 10 has come close to the global usage share of Apple's OS X"

:lol:

House Rules

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

Yes. They did do that. How did they do that?

They took Apple's strategy of giving away the OS for free. A software development company versus a hardware design company. It costs nothing for Apple to give away OSX. It costs Microsoft B I L L I O N S to give away Windows.

I don't disagree with the strategy, Microsoft had far too many splintered of a market in terms of running old legacy software. Vista and Windows 8 were such terrible releases that the market is more willing to stick with Windows XP (even though it is no longer supported) and Windows 7 (which is a very good OS) than move to the latest version of their OS.

Add to that fact that Microsoft had a 90% share of the market, and it's now roughly 62% (talk about dwindling) and their operating systems are totally fragmented and you see why Apple has been totally resurrected and eventually overtook both Microsoft and Google.

Apple's product lineup is more streamlined, supported, secure and easy to use.

I have turned countless people away from PC's. Why though? Because I got sick of being the person in the group who had a degree in computer science who worked in IT and had to constantly answer questions about their broken, virus ridden, driver conflicted machines.

I tell people the same thing. You can spend a little bit extra money up front, have your Mac for an additional two years compared to your PC, LOVE using your equipment and never have to call me for help....or

You can save yourself a little bit of cash up front and deal with the common problems that plagues Windows envionrments.

I'll conclude with this. I don't personally care what you purchase or don't purchase. This debate has been going on for decades and it's going to go on for several more.

I refer back to my original recommendation which was to understand what you intend to use your device for, do your research on your own, allocate the appropriate budget and make a selection.

No matter what I or anyone else says on here, you have to use (and support) your gear. I hope you enjoy it.

-mM

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Microsloth has lost more market share to Linux than to OS/X. By that standard, Linux is much more successful than OS/X.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

mmbutter wrote:Microsloth has lost more market share to Linux than to OS/X. By that standard, Linux is much more successful than OS/X.

Wow. Just wow. LOL.

OK, I'll exit the conversation on this now.

-mM

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

ANDROID PCs!!!!

(Ducks for cover)
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There are business justifications for the "problems" faced by Microsoft and Windows, primarily being that they continue to provide support for mostly outdated garbage whereas Apple, for example, says "this is the law. Obey it or go somewhere else." Not exactly 100% but there are very different practices in place...

Neither is right.

Apple overcharges for OK hardware on which its OS runs well. Windows runs decent on it too.

Windows doesn't limit the hardware you're allowed.

I prefer that. I like to pick the parts and things I want.

That said, the best Windows PC I had was a VM inside OSX.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:
Neither is right.
Correct but, the market is always right and a horse is a horse of course of course. Econ 101. ;)

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Sure. The question then becomes what market -- they all have a niche somewhere.

The enterprise/ government share is not a small penny but it is not the elephant of peronal consumer devices either.

Of course, objective criticism is hard to take. There are clearly some products better than others.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:Sure. The question then becomes what market --
?? It is THE market. Ya know, the one that decides what products dominate a "market". In this case the home, SoHo, SME, enterprise, Gov, etc.

Hearken back to your Econ classes in University.

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There is no "the" market. There are sections that, when combined, form a view of customer attitude.

There are also separate product markets -- personal device vs. desktop vs. software. These are not the same marketplace and thinking so is foolish.

Guess we're just talking about different economies. You know, that stuff from university.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:There is no "the" market.
:lol: :lol:

House Rules