Victorious will be next...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Treebore
Mogrl

Victorious will be next...

Post by Treebore »

and no, I will not be afraid to use Cthulhu.

When will I run it? Whenever I think I/we are tired of Aces and Eights, so some time next year...

Then maybe by the end of next year, back to C&C. Unless I can talk you into Savage Worlds Rifts.

XP TOTAL: 1,620
(As of 12/11/2017)
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Victorious will be next...

Post by Rigon »

Nom du Guerre: The Akrobat
Proper Name: Damon Vaterlos
Level: 1
Alignment: Good
Social Class: Lower Middle Class
Appearance: Male, 5 ft 6 in, 135 lbs. 20 years old. Indigo fur covers his entire body, pointed ears, yellow eyes with no noticeable pupils, and a long prehensile tail. His hands only have 3 fingers and his feet have only 2 toes.

Attributes
Str: 14 (+1)
Dex(p): 28 (+8)
Con: 15 (+1)
Int: 14 (+1)
Wis: 13 (+1)
Cha(p): 15 (+1)

Stats
HP: 30/30
Init: +8
Move: 30 ft
Actions/round: 1
Defenses: none
AC: 10; +8 (Dexterity); +3 (Acrobatics)
Victory Pts:
EXP: (1600)

Supernatural Powers (3+1+2)
Appendage 1 (prehensile tail)
Attribute 2 (+10 Dex)
Keen Senses 1 (Sight: night vision)
Spider Climb 1 (climb sheer surfaces at normal Str)
Translocation 1 (teleport within line of sight)

Skills (2+1+2)
Prime 2 (Dexterity, Charisma)
Acrobatics 2 (Dex +3)
Melee 1 (Str)
Roguery 1 (Dex)
Thespian 1 (Wis)

Shortcomings
Phobia 1 (Imprisonment)
Odd Appearance 3 (Blue fur, 3 fingered hands, 2 toed feet, prehensile tail, yellow pupil-less eyes)

Weapons/Armor

Equipment

Autobiography
Damon was 4 when the old woman sold him to the circus master, Viktor Straus. Straus displayed him as a curiosities attraction until he was 10. When Damon’s heightened agility started to become evident, Straus had the circus’ acrobats begin his training. Damon was a natural and soon surpassed their training. Damon was mostly accepted by the other performers and had created some semblance of a comfortable life. By the time he was 16, he was famous in Germany as a premier acrobat and had performed for the Kaiser.
Soon after, Straus past away and the circus was bought by Otto Von Shultz, a rival circus master. Shultz despised Damon and his success, so he removed him from the main tent and put him back into the curiosities. He also kept him locked in a cage like an animal. When Damon complained, Shultz would have him beat and starved. Shultz also replaced all the folk who Damon had grown up around and knew, thus isolating him further. Damon lived this miserable life for two years.
Shultz was quietly backed by the American, Dr. Josiah Krupp, who wanted to have the world’s greatest attractions of oddities. Once again Damon was sold and like an animal, he was shipped and transported to the city of Chicago in the United States.
There he was on display in the Oddities Museum for 2 years. He was treated fairly, but was never allowed to leave the building. Here Damon learned to speak English and he yearned to be free.
One night, the museum caught on fire. It quickly spread to Damon’s “rooms” and since he was the only one there, he was trapped. As the fire raged through his room, Damon stood at his barred window desperate to get out. He yanked and pulled at the bars, but they would not move. Just as the flames began to lick his clothes, Damon threw himself against the bars in sheer desperation.
POOF! He was outside the build in the street. His clothes and fur were singed and smoldering, but he was unharmed and most importantly to him, free. Free for the first time in his life, the young man walked away from the Museum and never looked back.
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Can't wait to hear about it... ;)

Do you know if you'll run it in London, New York, or somewhere else?

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:Can't wait to hear about it... ;)

Do you know if you'll run it in London, New York, or somewhere else?

Mike
Some where else. I've been considering a number of locations around the globe, India, Africa, South America, etc... but Detroit has been the most prevelant in my mind so far. Anyways, I have plenty fo time to think about it and to get inspired by something.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Well, if TLG agrees we should be putting out Evil in the White City; a set of adventures set at the Worlds Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago. Just an idea! ;)

Mike

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:Well, if TLG agrees we should be putting out Evil in the White City; a set of adventures set at the Worlds Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago. Just an idea! ;)

Mike
Chicago has also crossed my mind, so definitely possible. I especially like its being such a major RR hub.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Pending Tree's final approval

Roger Mosby – Scima (old English Shadow-gloom is code name used for him by England Foreign Secretary)

Detective / Spy – Shadow powers
Level 1
EXP
needed for next level – 1800 (p 35)

Age – 20
Height 5’11 weight 185
Brown Hair, smoky Gray/green Brown eyes;
Average looks, but easy smile and friendly personality (is at least perceived to be friendly) but at times a dark gloom clouds his smile and darkens his eyes

Social Class – Lower Upper Class (as family member – self is poor and dependent on family &/or British Government)

Str 13 +1
Dex 13 +1 P
Con 13 +1
Int 16 +2 P
Wis 16 +2 P
Cha 18 +3 P

AC 13 – Leather / + 5 when invisible
Defensives - Ethereal

HP - 26
BTH – HTH – Level 1 / +5 (additional +5 when invisible)
BTH – Range – Level 1 Skill II - / +5 (additional +5 when invisible)
Initiative - +5

VP

Skills
Criminology I
Roguery I
Firearms I
Language I
Martial Arts I
Etiquette – Polite I
Etiquette – Crass I
Acrobatics I
Wealth I

Powers

Shadow Theme (4) (+1) (+1) – with limitation to powers and limitation to theme, total 5 pts cost
1 Etherealness - R2
2 Entrap - R2 - Dex
3 Invisibility - R2
Mesmerize (confuse enthrall and fear only – no ability to command / must be entrapped) - R2
Keen sense (only in shadow +5 hearing +5 sight – low light vision)
Weakness / liability – shadow powers do not work in bright light or complete darkness

Personal Spy theme
Knack (Observing / spying +3) R1
Intuition R1
Robust R1

Shortcomings 7 pts

Notorious – Family history
Enemy – Turkey , Abdi family, & the Redcliff, Brundell, and Somerset families (all of them together = 1 negative)
Phobia – opiates & nightmare
Phobia – single minded / Justice – Loyal to Britain but even more loyal to right/justice
Watched – not trusted by government / superiors – above phobia
Secret Identity – Scima – known by close family, and a few high placed members of the Home Office of the Secretory of Foreign Affairs
Funds completely dependent on Secretory of Foreign Affairs and subject to influence by enemies in government

Equipment

Set cloths – common worker
Set cloths – Middle class
Set cloths – upper class
Heavy coat
Revolver
Derringer
Stiletto

Income 1 British L = aprox $3.75
Roger – 3 L x $3.75 = 11.25 - .75 = 10.50 a day / $ 3832.5 a year

Bills
100 L ( $375) in the equivalent in rent/cost for family manor house, hunting lodge, apartments in London etc
100 L ( $375) in club dues to keep up the proper appearances in various gambling halls, clubs etc
round it up to the $ 832.5 a year in required upkeep of proper station.

Funds as British Spy
For monies on mission 500 L ($ 1875) - bribes, influence, etc

Income & Spy fund subject to audit by Secretory of Foreign Affairs & harassment by enemy families in the British Government

Background

Roger Fox Mosby, the youngest son of Edmond Mosby and Lady Rose Charlotte Burgoyne . A well connected, but poor minor noble family. However, a family with a history of providing well capable sons to the Armies of the English Empire. Officers that have fought in the Wars from the 7 Years War, to the Napoleonic Wars, and even in wars in the far east.

Roger is the 4th of 5 children (3 older brothers and 1 younger sister). His father (and uncles for that matter) being officers and members of the military, or in political postings. As such, they spent much time away from home, but Roger was born while his father was on furlough from the far east prior to the start of the 2nd Opium War.

The Mosby children have all had a proper education, though being lower (poorer) nobility did not have the “most proper” and expensive tutors and teachers, the teachers that taught proper thought and support of the high church of England, laissez faire and the supremacy of the English race and government. The tutors the Mosby children had were those taught in and influenced by the Scottish Enlightenment, tutors with more classical liberal thought that advocated for political social and religious reform. Thomas Arnold was Roger’s last and favored tutor.

Following the tutoring, the Mosby children attended the proper schools, and filled all the social requirements. All being exceptional in some area – Roger doing well in the schools work but also the more physical requirements of a gentleman –riding, and the like (but his next older brother being an exceptional horseman bettering Roger Fox in riding and fox hunting). Unfortunately, the lack of funds, and being only a family of minor noble importance, always limited the children and closed some of the doors of opportunity for the Mosby children that other more wealthy and important families

Roger's grandfather – John Francis Mosby - fought in the Napoleonic wars as a Captain in the 95th Rifle Regiment, and later as a Colonel of the 95th under Lord Wellington, and acted as special adviser for sharpshooters scouts and skirmishers to the other line officers of the various other Anglo-Allied armies in the campaign. Not only did John Mosby serve England and Lord Wellington in war. He was an assistant and aid to him in the Congress of Vienna. Similarly, Roger's father served the crown in military and as staff of Her Majesty’s Foreign Secretary ministry. He was assigned as special military liaison in the far east in India and then China, and then in the First Opium war. In the war in China, while inspecting an outpost when the Chinese forces attacked, took command of a mixed contingent of soldiers/Navy at the post holding the position until relieved by a line regiment.

Most recently, prior to the Russian-Turk War, Hogan Mosby – The 3rd older brother – and Roger Fox Mosby were assigned as Jr Officers in the staff of the Foreign Secretory and from him to Viscount Stratford de Redcliffe – ambassador to the Ottoman Turkey – and to Sir John Fox Burgoyne – their maternal grandfather & the chief Royal Engineer - They were used for normal aid de camp duties of assisting their superiors, but also more unusual tasks in reviewing critical fortifications in the area, cataloging supply locations and usable ports, for the near incessant wars and skirmishes in the near east, and gaining intelligence – on their Turkish 'allies' and other powers intriguing in the area, and gathering proof of the atrocities of the Turks on the various Christian groups.

As the Russo – Turk war intensified, Hogan – having struck up a friendship with Captain Louis Nolan – the aid de camp to the Earl of Lucan The Leason to the Turks that felt the brunt of the Russian attack.. Unfortunately, these duties placed him side by side with his friend, Capt Nolan at a battle that the Turks were surrounded, and even the English observing officers were endangered with Capt Nolan dying in the fighting. Fortunately, though Hogan e was injured in the leg during the Russian barrage, he was among the survivors lead out of the catastrophic action by Lord George Paget. Following the fighting, and during his recovery from his leg wound, Hogan wrote letters and reports to Burgoyne Redcliffe, Sir John Fox Burgoyne, and the Foreign Secretory. These reports identified the poor leadership of James Thomas Brudenell – misleading the British observers, and then making decisions that caused unneeded suffering by his troops in the area r – and FitzRoy James Henry Somerset – the over all commander of the British troops in the near east. Unfortunately, these reports and letters have tied the Morgan name to the ill-fated war in which the Turks lost much to the Russians and made enemies of the Brundell and Somerset – 2 powerfully connected families .

In the meantime Roger continued to gather intelligence in the Turkish / Syrian / Egyptian /Armenian region. During these duties, he met and worked with a contingent of American Marines operating in the Egyptian area, and even personally fed them intelligence in fighting local pirates that plagued the American ships in the area and tomb robbers harassing Western Aerologists – with or without his superiors permission.

In the Aramaean area, Roger was surprised by a fierce sand storm and after being separated from the rest of his party, took refuge in a cave. It was there during the 3 day sand storm that Roger's shadow powers fully manifested. He quickly learned to use the powers to aid in his reconnaissance, scouting and spy tasks.

One night, while gaining intelligence on a Turkish Vizier’s - Keki Abdi - dealings. He saw proof of the atrocities the Turkish leader had committed on Armenian Christians, and the bribes he had taken to look the other way to ignore the rules emplaced with the treaty regarding protection of Christians' rights. He pulled the Turk into the shadow-gloom with him and showed him the full terror of the shadows. This broke the sanity of the Turkish potentate, which broke the power and political influence of the vizier’s family. This has led to the family (sons, brothers & nephews of the Vizier) to declare a blood vengeance on whomever committed the assault. Additionally, as the English Ambassador continued to refuse to act on the information regarding the atrocities, Morgan ‘allowed’ the information he gathered to be found by priests for both the Orthodox and Catholic Church – which means into the hands of the Russian and French contingencies in the area.

Unfortunately, though this did not counter directly any orders of the Foreign Secretory, or Ambassador Viscount Stratford de Redcliffe, it did dampen the attitude and talks between the Turks and the English. This is doubly troubling as it happened at a time when the influence of Redcliffe is waning, due to the negative popularity from the years of problems between the Turks and England from the Crimean war through to recent events. With this, one of the Ambassador’s aids informed the Turks who was “believed” to have broken into the vizier's house. So, The Turkish government and the Vizier’s family now have a name to focus their anger on.

Ambassador Redcliffe did send a message to the Secretory of Foreign Affairs, along with the negative press from the Russo – Turk war (and the significant losses by Turkey despite British aid and advisors) with Hogan Mosby's name tied to the reports of the debacle. The Morgan name, and influence of political allies – especially Sir John Fox Burgoyne - has blunted the effects of this. However, the Foreign Secretary's office is cautious with their dealing and view on the Morgan brothers, does not want to lose valuable experienced soldiers/spies . As such, they reassigned the Morgan brothers from the Turkish area.

They were held in England for 6 months – to allow the dust kicked up by the Russo – Turk war and his and his brother’s reports on the debacles of the British advisor leadership settle & to reinforce the fact that without support from the Secretary of Foreign Affairs’ office they are alone and powerless against the families he had angered. After 6 months, Roger was sent to America to act as an observer and correspondent for the Office of the Foreign Secretary. As such he has traveled from New York south to South Carolina, across to the Mississippi River, and north up the great muddy river. He has recently arrived in the great frontier city of Chicago.

Because he didn't follow the orders exactly, and the effect of his family name, he is not fully trusted by government.

Drawback to shadow realm, at times has nightmares where he is trapped in the shadow world and can't escape the living shadows there. *** random chance each night, and any time he rolls a crit failure / success when using a shadow power. Similarly, any mind altering opiate used has the same effect but the effect of the opiate will last at least a day if not longer and require recovery time from the effects of the nightmares. The effect is so strong that the merest whiff of opium smoke puts him at danger of tumbling into the shadow realm and its nightmares

Back up character:

Beinn Meill - Elemental Earth powers

Henry Stoeger - hunter/marksman

Lukos Wallon Ross (Kryptes) - Martial Artist
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Place holder !!!

This said I may need help on character concept .... As I've said, my mind defaults to lower supers/powers and more grim every time I picture the game. ... Are there things like vamps werewolves and things that go bump in the night ??? are there 'illuminiatie' type groups, or is it all "supers" type monsters and such? If there are 'monsters' I may have an idea ... hmmm maybe I have an idea for a super ... maybe ....
Anywhere from a Batman/Daredevil type to an Ironman/Superman type will work. Just no one from the future. Or if you are, you have brain damage and remember hardly anything. To the point where you are so unsure your actually from the future that you may just be insane.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

DMMike wrote:Well, if TLG agrees we should be putting out Evil in the White City; a set of adventures set at the Worlds Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago. Just an idea! ;)

Mike
The White City! <3 Erik Larson That is a brilliant setting idea. Can't wait.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Penny-Whistle wrote:

Mike
Thanks PW; my co-author Chase Slayton and I have been running the adventures set at the fair much of this year. They've worked out pretty well, and the Internet Archive (archive.org) has eyewitness writings of the fair and the program book of the fair showing the location of all the buildings. They supplement Larson's book very well, which is awesome BTW!

We're just waiting on TLG to decide when/if they want to go ahead with the project. It will be around 100+ plus pages and have 4 connected adventures along with data on Gilded Age Chicago. I'm really looking forward to this! ;)

Mike

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:

Mike
Thanks PW; my co-author Chase Slayton and I have been running the adventures set at the fair much of this year. They've worked out pretty well, and the Internet Archive (archive.org) has eyewitness writings of the fair and the program book of the fair showing the location of all the buildings. They supplement Larson's book very well, which is awesome BTW!

We're just waiting on TLG to decide when/if they want to go ahead with the project. It will be around 100+ plus pages and have 4 connected adventures along with data on Gilded Age Chicago. I'm really looking forward to this! ;)

Mike

If the Trolls make the wrong decision, self publish it.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

You know I'm in... place holder here.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If I do it in the US I am now leaning towards using Chicago.

I'd prefer to do it in some place like Nepal or Hong Kong, though. Plus, to make it easy to get you all together to work on the same team, I am thinking of doing some kind of "School for the Gifted". Or maybe a government sponsored "Weapon X" type program.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I've been thinking about my character concept. I'm strongly leaning toward something like Batman or Hawkeye. Basically, a normal human with an abnormal skill set that allows him to hang with the "Supers" of the world. Though, as of this writing, I am leaning more toward the Hawkeye concept (spy/assassin/marksman) over the Batman concept (detective/martial artist/vigilante).

I'm going to start playing around with the rules to see how well I can get them to fit my concept.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I don't suppose the author of the game could join? ;)

On a side note, would you guys be willing to let us record the games for an actual play podcast?

Mike

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

DMMike wrote:I don't suppose the author of the game could join? ;)

On a side note, would you guys be willing to let us record the games for an actual play podcast?

Mike
But then how could we have our rules discussion where one of us claims that the game author clearly meant such and such, and the other says that is crazy, he clearly means this and that?

:lol:

It would be fun to game with dmmike again

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:I don't suppose the author of the game could join? ;)

Mike

Absolutely! On joining. As for being recorded a couple of my players are in witness protection programs. :lol:

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Rigon wrote:I've been thinking about my character concept. I'm strongly leaning toward something like Batman or Hawkeye. Basically, a normal human with an abnormal skill set that allows him to hang with the "Supers" of the world. Though, as of this writing, I am leaning more toward the Hawkeye concept (spy/assassin/marksman) over the Batman concept (detective/martial artist/vigilante).

I'm going to start playing around with the rules to see how well I can get them to fit my concept.

R-
My picture above hints at my initial idea. A clockwork man, created by a secret government agency to thwart the plans of (insert evil genius' acronym heavy secret organization...note, I believe SPECTRE is already taken)

So, James Bond meets Inspector Gadget.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

If would be pretty cool to play with the game's author.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:I've been thinking about my character concept. I'm strongly leaning toward something like Batman or Hawkeye. Basically, a normal human with an abnormal skill set that allows him to hang with the "Supers" of the world. Though, as of this writing, I am leaning more toward the Hawkeye concept (spy/assassin/marksman) over the Batman concept (detective/martial artist/vigilante).

R-

You and I have the same general 'power level' idea. I've kicked around multiple practice concepts (to get the feel of how to do it) and I have 2 I like. One being the 'shadow type' - main power bundle is what I mentioned in the victorious thread, with a spy focus/background & the other a hunter/marksman spy.

So, either way our characters will have an easy way to be working together as spies. If you do go for the marksman, I'll definitely play my shadow character.
Aramis wrote:
My picture above hints at my initial idea. A clockwork man, created by a secret government agency to thwart the plans of (insert evil genius' acronym heavy secret organization...note, I believe SPECTRE is already taken)

So, James Bond meets Inspector Gadget.
So, that makes 3 of us spies / operatives for the agency. When has we ever had a party concept that is this easy to tie together !

Now Tree just has to say what government we are working for ... is it England, is it America ... Mmmmmmm not sure I'd want to be part of any of the other big player governments of the Era ...
Rigon wrote:If would be pretty cool to play with the game's author.

R-
Rgr that!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Tree, just curious, what year were you supposing the game would take place in? Pre-Civil War, post-Civil War? Just trying to figure out my concept a little more.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Tree, just curious, what year were you supposing the game would take place in? Pre-Civil War, post-Civil War? Just trying to figure out my concept a little more.

R-
Good question! I haven't really thought about it.

Hmmmm...

Should I start it in 1837, or a later date?

Hmmm...

I think I am going to have the Napoleonic Wars be behind the creation of Supers, with it manifesting at noticable levels in 1857. The second generation after the wars. So if your going to do a more super powered character, be young. If your going to be more low powered, such as Batman, Daredevil, etc... You can be older, and of the first generation after the wars. Or young, and of the second generation.

So your family history, whether you are aware of it or not, will have your parents or grand parents some how directly involved in the Napoleonic Wars. Since I am not going to reveal the creation idea I have, thats the best clue your going to get.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:Tree, just curious, what year were you supposing the game would take place in? Pre-Civil War, post-Civil War? Just trying to figure out my concept a little more.

R-

Hmmmm...

Hmmm...

I think I am going to have the Napoleonic Wars be behind the creation of Supers, with it manifesting at noticable levels in 1857. The second generation after the wars. So if your going to do a more super powered character, be young. If your going to be more low powered, such as Batman, Daredevil, etc... You can be older, and of the first generation after the wars. Or young, and of the second generation.

So your family history, whether you are aware of it or not, will have your parents or grand parents some how directly involved in the Napoleonic Wars. Since I am not going to reveal the creation idea I have, thats the best clue your going to get.
That's more info than I expected, so thanks. I'm still playing with concepts and characters.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

So, regarding American characters...are you counting the War of 1812 as part of the "Napoleonic Wars"? Most historians do, but I'm just thinking like a podantic historian. ;)

Mike, who will probably bring up the Crimean War next. LOL!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:So, regarding American characters...are you counting the War of 1812 as part of the "Napoleonic Wars"? Most historians do, but I'm just thinking like a podantic historian. ;)

Mike, who will probably bring up the Crimean War next. LOL!
I consider it to be in the same time period, but not a direct part of the Napoleonic Wars.
However, you just gave me an extra dimension for my creation history for Supers. :twisted:

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Glad I could help! ;)

Mike, considering a French officer of the Young Gard. :D

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:

R-

Hmmmm...

Hmmm...

The first question for this (or any) Victorious game is: is this going to be a VICTORIAN supers game, or a victorian SUPERS game.

My own ideas tend naturally towards the former, which is why I proposed something in keeping with the era (clockwork mechanisms). It sounds like the others are going similarly. But if it is going to be a game of caped supermen flying around and firing death rays from their eyes, that changes things quite a bit and probably calls for a different character type

Some of what you have written above actually works well with my initial musings.

I was going to have my character be created by a secret government agency to face threats. So, if you have some kind of event (strange meteor etc.) create supers around the time of Napoleon, it would make sense that governments would be afraid of such people and seek a defence against them.

I was going to have myself be created by Babbage (inventor of first "computer"), and doing some quick research, I see that he was at college during the Napoleonic wars and lived right up to 1871, so fits the timeline exactly. He could have been approached by His Majesty's government during the war to thwart Bonaparte, and proposed a clockwork warrior. The motto for the agency will be:

Non potest in pactum. Non secum. Non est misereri, aut si rem vel metus. Et omnino non prohibere ... aeternum donec mortuus es!

Which translates as: "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!" (Terminator)

:lol:

This would require greatly accelerating Babbage's work, but perhaps he was one of those blessed with superpowers (in his case, intelligence plus prescience). This era would also be contemporaneous with Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin, magician and master of clockwork mechanisms (and the man whose name Houdini stole). Again, it would have to be pretty accelerated for me to be a full android but it works

So, if we are going low powered, I have a pretty good handle on a background that makes sense

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I'm thinking of a lieutenant of Napoleon's Young Guard who, while retreating from Russia in 1813 discovered he has an affinity to cold. This can be simple Climate Resistance if we're going for a grim setting, or full ice powers if we're Gilded or Grand?

Mike

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Think Batman, Daredevil, Iron Fist, etc... as the minimum. Max would be on the power scale of Iron Man.

Plus remember, this game levels. It scales upward. So even if you start off as Batman, where are you going to be by 10th level? Your going to be super Batman.