Specialized- focused Knacks

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Specialized- focused Knacks

Post by Lurker »

A quick question, how would you handle it when someone wants a specialized knack?

As an example, normally they select knack for shooting, so would have +3 for all firearm shots. However, what if they wanted to be good with a pistol, not so much with a rifle ? Would you count it as a power with a liability ? So for the normal cost of the knack, they would get +6 for the shot with the pistol, but only the dex mod and base skill for a shot with a rifle?

I can see this being a question every once in a while in a ‘normal’ victorious game, but not being too big of an effect. However, I can see it being a big item in the future “Star wars” victorious where you have one person taking knack pilot - star fighter (or even more specifically X wing), and then another taking knack pilot – tramp freighter .
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Specialized- focused Knacks

Post by Rigon »

I would allow the knack to be specific. So, they could have Knack (Firearm: Pistol) that would only be applied to rolls with a pistol and no other firearms. They would get the normal Knack bonus.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

***Usual caveat that your GM is the final arbiter and anything I say is just in my home game!***

I'd have that character get the Firearms skill and then Knack: Pistol, sort of what R. said above but detailed.

On a side note, I was listening to the podcast System Mastery last night reviewing Champions 4E. In most SH games players inevitably try to Min/Max; not saying that's what Lurker meant, it just came to mind. Anyway. that's why I have so much set to GM fiat. If GMs want to do the Knack to pistol only as +6 then go ahead. I'd note that doing that will make that normal game pretty abnormal around level 6 or so! :)

GM (Abbey-Normal) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:***Usual caveat that your GM is the final arbiter and anything I say is just in my home game!***

I'd have that character get the Firearms skill and then Knack: Pistol, sort of what R. said above but detailed.

On a side note, I was listening to the podcast System Mastery last night reviewing Champions 4E. In most SH games players inevitably try to Min/Max; not saying that's what Lurker meant, it just came to mind. Anyway. that's why I have so much set to GM fiat. If GMs want to do the Knack to pistol only as +6 then go ahead. I'd note that doing that will make that normal game pretty abnormal around level 6 or so! :)

GM (Abbey-Normal) Mike

And the above post answers that :lol:

Rgr on min maxing. I never understood the though behind it - & I doubt anyone in the group we are in now would do it (to excess). However, back a few years ago when I played in SW d6 game there were 2 players that min/maxed EVERYTHING ... So, I try and figure out how to work around it. And, that said, rgr on the +6 putting things out of wack

Rgr on Abbey-normal , that is my favorite quote for one of my (and especially my dad's before he passed) movie ! It fits me to a T !!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Ah, the world will miss Gene Wilder. :)

Anyhoo, someone once asked me what the difference between a skill and a knack was. I replied that skills are what you learn and train to do, knack is a natural aptitude at something. Sort of like a prime, but impacting only one specific area instead of the entire range of a attribute. For instance, a high WIS score works for all types of perception-style checks, but a Knack can be an additional +3 to perception on urban streets or in caves. To cover that grey area between attribute and skill!

GM (Knacking along) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com