Rappan Athuk

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Re: Rappan Athuk

Post by Scitzz »

Mahrtiir
Male Half Elf
Ranger

Level 3

HP 27

Str 17*
Dex 16*
Con 14
Int 13
Wis 15
Cha 7
* for Prime

Language Common, Elf, Goblin, Orc, Halfling

COMBAT MARAUDER:
CONCEAL (Dexterity):
DELAY/ NEUTRALIZE POISON (Wisdom)
MOVE SILENTLY (Dexterity):
SCALE (Dexterity)
TRAPS (Wisdom)
SURVIVAL (Wisdom)
TRACK (Wisdom)
FAVORED ENEMY: At 6th level

Magic items
1 magic dagger +1

ARMOR: greek ensemble
chainmail coif

Weapons
Composite Short Bow
Long Sword
Magic Dagger
17 normal arrows, 2 silver, 1 magic
Back pack containing
Folded lg sack
6 flasks of oil
6 torches
2 gallon waterskin
1 3 sectioned ten foot pole strapped to outside by 50 feet of silk rope.
Week of rations
minimal bedroll hangs from bottom, makes a nice cushion when sitting.

Large belt pouch contains
5 pitons
flint and steel
5 candlesticks

Small belt pouch contains herbs for dealing with disease
Bandages for 2 wounds

Wearing under armor:
Doublet
Trousers with heavy belt
Heavy boots
Knee length cape with hood over all

Mahrtiir, born April 20th, sometimes called Firestarter, is a Half Elven Ranger with a strong dose of high elvish blood. While brought into the world by a well off and loving family, he was orphaned as a preteen equivalent by a group of bandits that enslaved him from that point until he was a young man.

Not having anyone close to talk to, he became quiet and introverted, but used to taking risks. The Bandits would use him as bait in their traps for others, and also as a sort of walking minesweeper, being sent in front of the fighters to trip any traps. When the bandits weren't engaged in their highway robbery, he was forced to serve the bandits as they drank and gambled. He learned to loathe both. Luck and nimbleness kept him alive until the day the Bandits ran into more than they could handle. In the midst of battle with the troops that had been in disguise as merchants to trap highwaymen such as themselves, he managed to abscond into the woods where he spent more years learning the ways of the wild, until he met another half elf that took him under his wing, and taught him some of the more sophisticated wilderness skills. This Half elf unfortunately died near the beginning of his training.

Hearing of adventures, challenges and treasure to be had in Rappan Athuk, he travelled until he found Zelkor's Ferry, where he encountered the group he runs with to this day.

After setting the hut of an Ogress mage disguised as an 8 year old on fire, he started to garner a reputation for being a little less than nice. Yet when his group went on the adventure that garnered them the name of Red Bear Reavers, he was first to remind others that while the scourge of the Red Bear was gone, a good man died. In the groups first battle with Stirges, he chose to try to protect one of the hired men at arms over a member of the main group. Behind his stoicism, he also had a heart.

Later, after the Red Bear Reavers tracked down the lair of the stirges hidden beneath a hill, he was instrumental to the plan that led to the hillside of Stirges being blown to kingdom come, some began calling him FireStarter.

In their further adventure, the intrepid crew freed Castle Calaelen of it's haunts, The priestess of Orcus, and the demonic Raven, Mahrtiir began his efforts to rebuild the keep, by friending the goblin smith in a most unlikely manner. Gorbaz may indeed become the first of many to return the Castle to it's former glory. Mahrtiir has promised to keep him in supplies and rations, and Gorbaz has promised to clean the Castle and continue to make rough iron instruments. While first storming the castle, Mahrtiir was grievously wounded rushing in when caution would have served better, and spent some since bringing up the rear guard and watching closely how others behave.

In another endeavour, The Reavers have started taking on a new name. Extinction Unlimited. They travel into the Mouth of Doom. There he is assisted by a new member, Loric, and they cut down Tall Jack Ratt with arrows after he attempts to rob the group.

Meanwhile the rest of the group took out his crew and the undead his unsavory (and none too wise) followers had gathered to aid them. Returning to Zelkors ferry, they were rewarded for the head of Tall Jack, although Odo was saddened to hear the news.

Regaining some of his earlier boldness, he even took the first steps for the party in some of the rooms, splitting the duties with fearsome Zerg.

Extinction Unlimited has had some very close calls in The Mouth of Doom, including dealing with a madman spell caster. who carried a talisman of Orcus, which he immediately set ablaze. This seemed to draw the attention of the foul being upon himself, whom he promptly showed his middle finger in defiance. Afterwards, he set the entire room on fire.

The group then fended off a large attack of Stirges. Mahrtiir's first instinct in the attack of the Stirges was to get the party back to the relative safety afforded at the entrance to the mouth of doom, but he held position and helped defeat the flock of loathsome fliers.

The Half Elf has stayed behind on a couple of ventures and has spent that time reading some literature found in the castle, hoping to improve his knowledge of local lore, and hasn't been able to document thoroughly the heroic exploits of his companions during those times.

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

@scitzz like that birthday :)

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Considering haven't chosen to partake in something like 15 years, it is especially ironic :D

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

Funny it fits a nature oriented character. In my one campaign, the druid's holy symbol was a pot leaf and he was rolling blunts all the time :)

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

More of Loric's backstory:

I was 71 when I was marooned on the island. I arrived on the mainland when I turned 121. I am half a wood elf (my father was a ranger), and half a high elf (my mother was an illusionist). I was on the island for 50 years before escaping. When I awoke upon the isle, I discovered a dozen survivors from the pirate ship. No elves survived from my own vessel which had been boarded and overrun. When the storm had arisen no one had been prepared, it gusted in so swiftly.

After waking up, much of my life was a blur. My early years as an elf were distorted or missing. I could still speak the tongue of my people, and the common tongue, but there was a vast void where much of my childhood should have been. I could not remember the names of my mother or father, just what they looked like and what they could do. I had dreams sometimes of being out in the wilderness, or studying information by rote, but I could not remember specific things. My body seemed to speak a different language though, its memory was not so poor, I was nimble of hand and foot. I seemed to instinctively remember the basics of how to survive in the wild, following activities that seemed almost mechanical.

I do have a core set of beliefs that saw me through the ordeal on the island. I learned the ways of balance from the nature knowledge of my father, and the ways of deceit from my mother's illusionist teachings. This combination saw me well in dealing with noble thieves and pirates alike.

The other twelve survivors were a mixed bunch. There were the thieves the pirate captain Marta had intended to turn in for a hefty bounty that had been set by a rival guild. They were Gareth, the aged officer among them, Ainar, a career burgler and locksmith, Latto, a cutpurse and master of evasion, and childhood friend of Ainar, and finally Suka, who was a bowman and ambusher.

Also among the survivors was Kark, a half-orc who had served as the ship's cook. He cooked extensively with hot spices to cover the taste of rancid meat. I learned how to speak orcish from Kark and moreso, how to sing and tell tales in orcish. Kark was also a musician, playing a machete (ukulele-like) instrument. Over the years we learned to fashion these out of gourds, wood, animal skins and animal gut for strings.

There were two men-at-arms that had been hired as extra security for the thief transfer, Waldan and Wordel. They were twins, but not alike at all. Waldan was impetuous, short tempered and glib of tongue. He always seemed to have some chessnut of wisdom to offer, whether it was the right time or not. Wordel was more reserved. They had both learned their father's signature fighting style, but Wordel's interpretation of it emphasized defense and redirection more. Where Waldan was glib, Wordel was often quiet. When he did speak, however, it was usually well reasoned and considered. I tended to like Wordel better.

Then there was Vetch, the cabin boy so out of place. Vetch had lived on a farm. One year, when he was judged old enough, he accompanied his father with their goods to sell at the city market. Tragically, he was abducted, dragged into a back alley and sold to the pirates as a slave. He was young, but was used to the steady work of farm life, and how to deal with animals and tend to plants. He became my fast friend, as we were both so young, but tragedy will befall him.

Bola and Fenrick were the two deckhands from the pirate ship that had survived. Bola was an old man, a veteran pirate who had plundered the seas under many captains, and had been lured to serve on the pirate ship by the fine bounty on the thieves Marta had promised. Fenrick was a very cynical man at first, often offering biting wit or sharp criticisms, though he mellowed with time. He had not been a pirate for long. Having grown up in a coastal town, he had been around boats all his life. When the fish that were his livelihood mysteriously started disappearing, he began to look for another source of income. He was a wizard with knots, enough so that it made him employable. The promise of riches had also brought him into the pirate life, though it soured him.

The only officer among the pirates to survive, Leuth was a persistent source of conflict amongst us, often setting one off on the other. He was not a kind man, but did know something of shipbuilding and constantly attempted to motivate us to work on a vessel to get off the island. He butted heads with Gareth quite often, and two factions formed on the island very early. Gareth was followed by his men, and Vetch and myself felt safe with them. Leuth led the other pirates, Bola and Fenrick, and Waldan and Wordel still obeyed him initially. Since Vetch and I were so young, the swing vote that would keep the balance shifting was the final element in our group: Mikko the navigator.

Mikko was from a far northern tribe of humans where the skies are wide and clear, stars are bright and crisp. He had sailed and piloted crafts since he was young, his father was a fisherman. They lived in a port town that was between two large cities. He rescued a woman from drowning once who turned out to be the wife of a sailor who sailed for the local militia to patrol the waters. When he learned of the man's skills at navigating and that he had no work, the man recruited Mikko in to the military. This is where he got experience with larger vessels and wider areas of sea. Mikko knew how to use sextants, navigate by the stars, read and predict the weather to a degree, and fish. But Mikko had a gambling problem as well, he liked his cards and dice too much. He landed into debt, and in an attempt to pay his way and save his life, he began the pirate’s way.

These were the people I grew up with for 50 years when my parents and my elven life were taken from me by the sea. Every day I think of Quell and what he took from me, to respect his power, and Tykee for pulling me from his watery grasp and bringing me to my salvation. And I give praise to Dame Torren for carrying me away when I was the only one left to survive from the island in the end, and the winds that bring good things as well as the winds that bring disaster.

These, my friends, are just the players, but there is more of this tale to tell. Another night when we are around the fire, I will share more of it.

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

Loric's story continues:

There was a brief time of peace while everyone recovered. Suspicious glances abounded all around quickly however. The thieves immediately grouped together, and poor Vetch could only see myself as a being of possible sympathy. He clung to me as if for his life. Leuth was the most dazed, the last to wake. Immediately he conversed with Bola and Fenrick, assessing the situation. He called Walden and Wordel over, and his voice rose and fell. Mikko slowly joins them, showing himself to be uncertain.

The thieves huddled together and conversed as well, further down the beach. Caught between them, Vetch and I could only stare in horror from one set of monsters to the next, knowing not whether either meant us harm. Suddenly Gareth looked me in the eye, and said "Lads, come join us." There was something about the old thief that seemed graceful, there was a look of compassion in his eyes. I walked towards them, and Vetch followed me.

As we approached, we noticed Kark was with them. We stared at his tusks and mottled skin. Everyone introduced themselves, then Gareth started talking.

"That Leuth over there is trouble if I ever saw it," be began. "While we were on their ship he would make a special effort to beat us in ways that left little marks. There is something deceptively cruel about that man, though his face may be calm and cool. It may well take every hand here to get us off this island, if even we can. We may be better off planning to live out our lives here, unless Tykee brings us better chance."

It was an awkward first gathering, a discussion of goals. Leuth immediately tries to take command of all of us, but is challenged by Gareth. There is a standoff between all the men, which is only calmed by Kark singing orcish drinking songs and revealing that, when he had risen far away from the rest, he had found a cask of rum washed up and had hidden it. We all have a drunken campfire gathering, and an uneasy truce is formed. "First, we must survive," we agree on before falling into stupor. However, we still tend to sleep in those initial groups.

Shelter is constructed, just rough at first, then structures with lashings and thatched roofs. We find some stackable stone at the foot of the mountain, and bring some back to make other constructions. Water is found, by following insects and other animals to streams and pools, coming down from the mountain. Food is found, there are fruit trees and vegetables, and the island is inhabited by large lizards and ground birds, snakes, monkeys, jaguars, and others. Fish, shellfish and crabs are available on the shores.

We get into the routine of finding food, led largely by Kark with his nose. We gather food for much of the day while others work on the shelter or gather water. We are able to salvage much from the wreckage of the ships to help us. During this time Gareth notices how nimble I am and asks if I want to learn how to use that for other things. Curious, I agreed, and that's when the thieves took me under their wing. They began pouring their years of knowledge into me. As we'd walk through the jungle, they would show me how to move and hide, how to climb and jump. Ainar taught me about locks from washed up chests and Latto showed me how to take things stealthily. Suka showed me how to read the land to pick spots for ambush, and was quick to fashion himself a bow to hunt which he taught me as well.

Leuth pushed us that first year to begin gathering materials to build a ship. A vessel which he promised would allow us all to escape. Gareth resisted initially, but his younger guild members, some of whom still had families on the mainland, couldn't be ignored. He agreed and the first attempt to escape was underway. Gathering the materials and constructing this first ship would take months.

When it is finally finished it resembles a northman longboat. Leuth is to pilot it, while the rest of us are to row. Gareth protests that Leuth intends Vetch and I to row as well, as we are still young. "If they don't pull their weight they're not going to just add it," Leuth said with a twist of his lips. There is another standoff, but again, the situation is diffused by Kark, who simply asks the boys "Do you want to do this?" Being our only hope to get home, even if I wasn't sure where that was, it seemed worth the effort.

We set out, and the water was fine at first. When we got out of the bay the winds were calm and the sky was clear. The tattered sail that had been a spare in a washed up chest began to fill, and we moved along at a steady pace. My heart began to swell with the hope that we might make it out. Suddenly, I got a twinge in my head and saw a line of black in the distance. Clouds so dark they looked like the night descending were coming at us fast. My keen elven eyes could see them much further than the rest.

"Storm!" I cried out, pointing outwards. "Keep rowing!" Leuth said from the tiller. Gareth, who knew of my keen vision, immediately stopped rowing. "He is not lying, pirate. His eyes see further than the sharpest of mens. We all remember just how fast the storms move here, all too well." "Lies," Leuth replied, "we are safe." Glancing to where Loric had pointed, Gareth squinted his eyes and stared for some time. They suddenly widened, and he immediately stood up and strode over to Leuth. Producing a sap from nowhere, he surprised the pirate and struck him, knocking him out. He grabbed the tiller and turned the boat, tacking the sail to reverse. "Row if you want to live!" he shouted as a gust of wind picked up.

Fortunately for us, we were able to ride the winds at the head of the storm back to the island before we were overrun by the storm proper. When we entered the bay we were forced to abandon ship however as it caught on a rocky shoal. As the waves banged the ship to pieces on the rocks, we swam to safety, Waldan and Wordel bringing Leuth between them. He grew very bitter after this, but he did not challenge Gareth directly, as he had proven able to command all the men as well.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Good stuff yeti!

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

Thanks Kayolan! Have the rest sort of laid out, working on the next part

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Fun game tonight all!

Wasn't expecting the party to meet another adventuring group, but that's the dice for you, always the vagaries of life. Olivia Banter and Urman Highlander each get a share of the treasure and XP as they accompanied you on the adventure, while the two that stayed behind (Liraniel and Swain Quindle) are still at Bristleback's Inn for all you know.

Did up the XP for the session (session #13):

Experience Points
Egar: 8,835
Arobash: 8,105
Urza: 7,348
Mhoram: 2,209
Celeste: 2,209
Marhtiir: 7,564
Fray: 2,209
Zerg: 5,968
Loric: 5,619

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

So close! Next one

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Man it really is a hell of a climb up those levels. I am really looking forward to making level 6, but judging by our rate of growth, that would take me approximately infinity more game sessions.

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

I hear yah. I'm just excited next level I'll gain sneak attack and can then do some sniping

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

yetihermit wrote:I hear yah. I'm just excited next level I'll gain sneak attack and can then do some sniping
Good luck with that. Pulling off a successful Sneak Attack is rarer than *insert really rare thing here*.

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

Oh I can see some places it could come up. We shall see. New ability at the least

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

yetihermit wrote:Oh I can see some places it could come up.
You are entirely correct of course. It's a matter of subterfuge and skill, the clever rogue can/will put it to good use. All that is required is that your target is not aware of an impending attack on your part.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Kayolan wrote:Fun game tonight all!

Wasn't expecting the party to meet another adventuring group, but that's the dice for you, always the vagaries of life. Olivia Banter and Urman Highlander each get a share of the treasure and XP as they accompanied you on the adventure, while the two that stayed behind (Liraniel and Swain Quindle) are still at Bristleback's Inn for all you know.
Mahrtiir is going to have to learn to be nicer to Urman, LOL

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Scitzz wrote:
Kayolan wrote:Fun game tonight all!

Mahrtiir is going to have to learn to be nicer to Urman, LOL
:lol:

Urman lost his cool, all the talk of him not really being up to snuff or contributing to the adventure brought out a sudden fierceness in him, but he eventually did back down and take your sound tactical advice. He showed the group that he isn't so awful at archery, despite his reluctance to use his bow. Yeah, he's a bit of a hothead :)

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Apparently, so is Mahrtiir when taunted.

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Scitzz wrote:Mahrtiir is going to have to learn to be nicer to Urman, LOL
Or we could go the other way and tell him to piss off. He proved to not be very awesome with his inability to follow instructions. I'm not sure he is worth giving up a cut for.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Well, Mahrtiir did kind of shove him into the background when he was heavily injured, but that was kind of rude. Next time Mahrtiir will allow him an honorable death, I am sure, but he also has some growing up to do. He is back and forth like a pendulum right now. One minute cool and aloof, the next getting in someone's face.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Fun game tonight all, had some close calls with all the poison going around, not to mention those not too awesome candles...

Added up the XP (as of session #14):

Experience Points
Egar: 9,829
Arobash: 9,099
Urza: 8,342
Mhoram: 2,457
Celeste: 2,457
Marhtiir: 8,558
Fray: 2,457
Zerg: 6,962
Loric: 6,613

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Kayolan wrote:Fun game tonight all, had some close calls with all the poison going around, not to mention those not too awesome candles...
It was fun.
We have been exceptionally lucky so far in my opinion. I am pretty amazed none of us have died yet.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

I, for one, am getting a little tired of being dragged back to town in a cart.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Game on tonight!

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Fun game all, several of you have gained a level!

Here's the new XP total (as of session #15)

Experience Points
Egar: 11,808
Arobash: 11,078
Urza: 10,321
Mhoram: 2,952
Celeste: 2,952
Marhtiir: 10,537
Fray: 2,952
Zerg: 8,941
Loric: 8,592

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

So Urza finally decided to get himself some armor and spent 1040g doing so.
What that means is that in order to keep Zelkor's Ferry in its constant state of poverty, we needed to sell them 1040g worth of stuff to get that money back.

This is what we are selling:

4x Leather Armor (40g, 20g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Zerg, Urza, and Loric
5x Long Swords (75g, 37.5g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Zerg, Urza, and Loric
4x Dagger (8g, 4g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Zerg, Urza, and Loric
3x Short Bow (90g, 45g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Zerg, Urza, and Loric
Fancy looking rug (100g) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Zerg, Urza, and Loric
4 Quivers (8g, 4g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Zerg, Urza, and Loric
Spices (400g, 200g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Loric, Urman, and Olivia
Silver Plate (100g, 90g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Loric, Urman, and Olivia
Silver Dagger (60g, 30g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Loric, Urman, and Olivia
Holy Symbol (25g, 12.5g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Loric, Urman, and Olivia
11 Halberds (110g, 55g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Loric, Urman, and Olivia
Silver Necklace (100g, 90g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Loric, Urman, and Olivia
Ornate, Gold Mirror (200g, 180g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Loric, Urman, and Olivia
Bullseye Lantern (12g, 6g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Mhoram, Celeste and Loric
1 Silk Gown (30g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Mhoram, Celeste and Loric
Longsword (15g, 7.5g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Mhoram, Celeste and Loric
Shortbow (30g, 15g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, Mhoram, Celeste and Loric
Silver Necklace (25, 22.5g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, and Loric
Mail Shirt (100g, 50g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, Urza, and Loric
4x Scimitars (60g value, 30g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, and Loric
Halfling Leather (10g value, 5g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Marhtiir, Zerg, and Loric
Bullseye Lantern (12g, 6g resale) Owned by: Egar, Arobash, Zerg, Urza, and Loric

What that amounts to is the following gold for each character:

Arobash: 151g, 8s, 9c
Egar: 151g, 8s, 9c
Loric: 151g, 8s, 9c
Zerg: 151g, 8s, 9c
Urza: 144g, 8s, 8c
Mahrtiir: 108g. 5s, 8c
Olivia: 82g, 1s, 8c
Urman: 82g, 1s, 8c
Celeste: 7g, 3s, 1c
Mhoram: 7g, 3s, 1c

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Looks good, the vault under the barracks is starting to empty out a bit. What kind of armor did he buy?

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Kayolan wrote:Looks good, the vault under the barracks is starting to empty out a bit. What kind of armor did he buy?
He got a full plate, a heavy steel shield, and a great helm.
And yes! The vault is starting to look much more manageable.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

:arrow:

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I've got Basil Poledouris and Ennio Morricone playing... it must be RAPPAN ATHUK NIGHT!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com