(Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
maximus
Lore Drake

Re: (Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Post by maximus »

This game tonight? Regardless of which one, I'll probably be about 1/2 hour late.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

maximus wrote:This game tonight? Regardless of which one, I'll probably be about 1/2 hour late.
I believe Tree is going to try to run this game, but you never know what happens. I'll be ready to go in case.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
maximus wrote:This game tonight? Regardless of which one, I'll probably be about 1/2 hour late.
I believe Tree is going to try to run this game, but you never know what happens. I'll be ready to go in case.

R-
I got home 40 minutes past midnight last night. So unless something crazy happens today, it should be this game tonight.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
I got home 40 minutes past midnight last night. So unless something crazy happens today, it should be this game tonight.
Yippie-Ki-Yay, mothertrucker.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
Yippie-Ki-Yay, mothertrucker.

R-
rgr that !!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

We ended with you 10 miles outside of Ft Walsh, heading towards Medicine Hat, to the west of the Cypress Hills, where you ran into a group of 7 men. Very apparently of "white trash" background. We ended with the "ïntroductions" barely under way, with Proff. Daughtry commenting on how they shouldn't grip their pistol handles tight like vthat, but like they would a womens breast, and one of them responding, "Ï like twistn ém!""and the good professor thnking how he now wants to shoot that man between his eyes...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The 7 men were intimidated into full co operation and then interogated. They revealed that the Bundy Brothers were rumored to have a camp in the Eastern Cyprus Hills, and that the last time they saw the Bundy Bunch, they were heading towards Ft Whoop Up. This is the map we were using this session:

http://www.oldfortstrail.com/map.php

An hour, or so, after you let the 7 men go, with a $5 reward each, from the personal pocket money of the generous Professor, the Professor saw a lone rider quickly coming up on the group. The light and clarity was so good, that the Prof. immediately thought this rider was familiar. He was right, it ended up being the very Indian Scout from Ft. Benton that had led you all to stay for a while with the Indian Encampment between the two Creeks/rivers. He tells you that a group of 24 to 30 White Men, all identified to work for a local Rancher known for hating the Indians and wanting their lands. They were there asking specifically for Prof Daughtry, Enapay, Powell, and company. The Scout tells you that many of the fellow soldiers at Ft. Benton got a distinct feeling they did not mean good things for your group. The Scout estimated the group was any where from 6 hours to a full day behind him.

You all decided to push on to the eastern Cyprus Hills to look for the Bundy Brothers camp, hoping that the 24 or so men wouldn't even successfully track you, let alone catch up to you.

You eventually, after about 5 hours of very unsuccessful tracking, spot a smoke column, about 4 miles away, on the other side of at least 1 hill. You get to within roughly a mile of the camp marked by the smoke column and dismouont, sneaking in on foot. Eventually the Professor spots a look out, who he quickly determines is looking right at Tom and Clemons. The Professor signals that there is a problem, and everyone takes cover. Tom does so in direct line of sight of the look out he is completely unaware of.

The Professor then sneaks up on the look out like a dark shadow on a moonless night, cocking and pointing his pistol right at the look outs head, telling him, "Son, this could be your lucky day, lay down and you won't be harmed." The look out quickly does so, saying, "Please don't hurt me mister, I haven't even fathered any kids yet." They then group bind and gag him. Then realizing they need to ask him who is in the camp, along with other questions, they un gag him and find out that there were 17 people in camp when he took watch, and that the Bundy brothers were there, in the only tent in the camp. Everyone else stays in lean to's. The group confers, and decides the best time to attack is when they are making dinner. Everything else will be determined next session.

Anything I left out that any of you want to be added to this summary?

BTW, 2 BP each, as well as 3 Fame/Rep each, for this session.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I forget, can we use those BP right away to increase a skill, or do we need to "train" with someone?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Hey, sorry I missed. I had a bunch of things thrust onto me right after work and didn't get done with them until 2 hours or so into game time. I just crashed after that.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:I forget, can we use those BP right away to increase a skill, or do we need to "train" with someone?
Use them right away.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Hey, sorry I missed. I had a bunch of things thrust onto me right after work and didn't get done with them until 2 hours or so into game time. I just crashed after that.

R-
NP. Your character still participated, I had Lurker roll for you. Hopefully you make the next session.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:Hey, sorry I missed. I had a bunch of things thrust onto me right after work and didn't get done with them until 2 hours or so into game time. I just crashed after that.

R-
NP. Your character still participated, I had Lurker roll for you. Hopefully you make the next session.

& I rolled for you better than I rolled for me ... stupid roll 20 !

fun game , can't wait till the raid of the camp ... - of us, 7 of them, unaware, yeah it should be good ... as long as the stupid roll 2o plays nice that is
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:

R-
Sweet, I like BPs.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:

R-

& I rolled for you better than I rolled for me ... stupid roll 20 !

fun game , can't wait till the raid of the camp ... - of us, 7 of them, unaware, yeah it should be good ... as long as the stupid roll 2o plays nice that is
Thanks.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Recall the two fellas that sat in on one of these games sessions a few months back? Seems that they would like to join our game.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:Recall the two fellas that sat in on one of these games sessions a few months back? Seems that they would like to join our game.
Up to you, as you have to deal with all of us hooligans.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:Recall the two fellas that sat in on one of these games sessions a few months back? Seems that they would like to join our game.
Up to you, as you have to deal with all of us hooligans.

R-

Apparently it will only be one of them.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Is it my week or yours?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Is it my week or yours?

R-

Yours, but I am fine with running if you want.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:Is it my week or yours?

R-

Yours, but I am fine with running if you want.
I'll run, I just couldn't remember who was up.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Hey Lurker, Cloak and Dagger just got contracted for a 10 episode season. Just a contract at this point, but hopefully it does get done, and gets done well.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Hey Lurker, Cloak and Dagger just got contracted for a 10 episode season. Just a contract at this point, but hopefully it does get done, and gets done well.

Coooooollllll

I hope they do it well, if not it will suck royally ... there isn't a lot of middle ground with the idea. It will either be done well and come out good, or it will be a flop.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Blood and mayham in Canada tongiht! Who's playing?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm in, but may have to step away for a bit. Mary isn't home yet and I need to talk to her.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:I'm in, but may have to step away for a bit. Mary isn't home yet and I need to talk to her.

R-
Taking to wives is over rated ... it usually leads to spending money on the 'not fun things' of life ;-)

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Problem. These guys are not wanted in Canada. So I will need to determine if the goods you found were stolen in Canada. Or talk to a Canadian Lawyer to find out if being caught with goods LIKELY stolen withint the USA and then brought into Canada will result in charges within Canada, or at least detention and extradition.

Now I just have to find a Canadian Lawyer willing to talk to me about such hypotheticals...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Wow! Not only did you not die, you did AWESOME! OK, here is the basics of the scenario. You were hunting for the Bundy Brothers, who have a very high bounty on their heads, in the US. Problem is, they are in Canada, where they are not wanted. They were also the leaders of a group of men, said to number around 20 to 24 men. Last session you had found the camp, and had a run in with a look out.

Anyways, you, much to everyones surprise, sneak into position around the camp, after taking out a look out that got in your way. You took him alive, and even questioned him about the camp. Who was there, basic layout, etc...

So then using that info to move into basically sniper positions, with one, who had 12 sticks of dynamite, climbing into a tree, that was basically perfect for using as a shooting platform, especially when targeting within the encampment (rolled 00 when determining how good the tree was as such a position.) This tree was also only 10 feet (or roughly 3 meters) from the tent of the Bundy Brothers. Which was a basic 10 foot square tent.

We used a roughly hand drawn map and I placed the lean to's as well as positioned the tokens of the 20 outlaws in the camp. It wasn't a terribly big area, it was surrounded by decent sized trees, the open area only 30 feet across at its widest, and about 80 feet long, with a lot of the end they typically "entered" from being where they kept their horses, so unusable as camping area for the men. Which was the South end, the tree was at the North end.
Anyways, Professor Daughtry, had prepared a bundle of 4 sticks of dynamite. He has the relevant skill, and this was basic info that even I knew. He then tossed the bundle in, after lighting it. As the dynamite landed, far short of its intended target area, onto the tent of the Bundy Brothers, another voice rang out.

It was a very deep, scary sounding voice, that säid, "Your surrender will be accepted!"

Then all hell broke loose in camp! The world seemed to explode! All 12 within the blast area were deafened, 6 were knocked unconscious, 4 were stunned! The horses, behind them in relation to them and the blast, were screaming and trying to break out of the area. Everyone else was defeaned from the blast as well. Including Professor Daughtry, who, due to his overly short throw, caught himself in the blast, taking only 4 points of damage, thanks to the tree taking most of it, but he too was still defeaned.

(Rules note: I did not use the rules as written in Aces and Eights for dynamite. Basically, each stick allowed you to draw cards from the deck. So 4 in this case. A Joker meant one thing, if drawn, an Ace plus 1 face card meant another, and 3 face cards meant yet another. All far too random to me for Dynamite, which was used like it was for its very predictable results. So since they only drew one face card, and an Ace at that, I decided all the results that were guaranteed to happen, if the specified cards above were drawn, would still happen if each affected Outlaw failed their CON checks, which is a roll under check in Aces and Eights. Which is how I determined who was unconscious, stunned, etc... as specified up above. They also did damage in range bands of 5 feet. I changed that to 10 feet. As a kid I watched them dynamite the walls of a Limestone Quarry my Great Grandfather was an over seer at. Yeah, 5 feet bands were not enough, especially for 4 sticks.)

So the Intimidate roll was made to see if the explosion, plus the intimidating voice of Powers, was enough to get everyone to surrender. It was, with 2 percentage points to spare.

So once the surrender was obvious you moved into to remove guns etc... from those stunned and unconcious, while those who were OK were instructed to put their weapons down on the ground, etc... You then put Rope Using skills to work, binding up the Outlaws as best you could. Enapay, the only Indian in the group, is also the only one to have training in Medicine. He was not terribly good at it, but still managed to assess, correctly, the wounds of all but 3 of the Outlaws. 2 minutes later, those 3 were dead. They had Internal Bleeding, which did not self clot before they bled to death. Of the 4 Enapay correctly diagnosed with Internal Bleeding, he was able to save 3 out of 4 of them. So 4 were dead from Internal Bleeding within 2 minutes.

The Bundy Brothers, Enapay also properly diagnosed. So they do know that the brothers will die in 3 to 5 hours, depending on dice rolls. Likely in 2 to 3 hours. From Internal Hemmoraging. The only way they can even possibly be saved is to get them to a Surgeon. The odds of them getting them to the nearest Fort, which has the nearest known Surgeon, probably, are practically non existent, since that Fort is almost 5 hours away. Plus moving these men, as roughly as will be necessary to even have that chance, will very likely kill them even faster.

While Enapay was seeing to the injured, which included Professor Daughtry, and Powers kept a watch, and a gun, on those who surrendered, Tom searched around the outside perimeter of the camp, and found a storage area, filled with what looked like obviously stolen, and stock piled, goods.

So that is where our session ended. We played less than 2 hours, because I was having serious connection issues for some inexplicable reason. Plus we were down 2 players. The 4 of you who did play did a great job of turning what would have been a very ugly gun fight into a quick and explosive surrender, that still resulted in 6 deaths, but only for the bad guys. With only minor, self inflicted, injury, to one of your own. Next session, 2 weeks from now, if all goes well, you have to evaluate if the goods are stolen, and if any were stolen within Canada, or only in the US, as well as what to do with the captured, and especially the wounded.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

David S Kenzer posted earlier tonight, in the Kenzer Aces and Eights forum:

"Re: Aces AND EIGHTS SECOND EDITION KICKSTARTER

Saddle up and let's go!

We have approval and will be launching this week. We're working on deciding which day and some final tweaks/edits. "

HUZZAH! Can't wait to see/hear what their planned changes are, and what they plan on doing to make this KS fun! 

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote:I'm in, but may have to step away for a bit. Mary isn't home yet and I need to talk to her.

R-
Taking to wives is over rated ... it usually leads to spending money on the 'not fun things' of life ;-)

Sorry to make lite of a death in the family... open mouth insert foot ...

For the game ... amazing it worked so well ! As one that has played with explosives in real life and seen what they can do, I should have epected it ... but wow ... half ekia and more stunned /ewia and the rest giving up without a fight in one boom ... wow
Treebore wrote:Problem. These guys are not wanted in Canada. So I will need to determine if the goods you found were stolen in Canada. Or talk to a Canadian Lawyer to find out if being caught with goods LIKELY stolen withint the USA and then brought into Canada will result in charges within Canada, or at least detention and extradition.

Now I just have to find a Canadian Lawyer willing to talk to me about such hypotheticals...
You caught that did you, I remember it last night but prudently didn't mention it in hopes you'd forget it ... However, now they you haven't ...
In Tom's Arkansan twang

"You'll know if we go to the Canada fort yonder, we will be the ones arrested. I know if some on crossed into my Gramps county (in NW Arkansas) from Missouri or Indian territory, and blew up anyone that didn't have a price on their head signed and sent from the Arkansan governor, or the president from down in the south, He'd have arrested them on the spot, and probably hung them for something ... especially as we tossed some tnt and blew the ... well you know what out of them ... I say we ride the hair off the horses and get them back across the border, where killing them was legal, and get them to that blue belly fort.

Now, knowing we have that band of hired guns from the cattle baron looking for us, I'd say we ride down South by south-west out of here, then come to the fort from the west side. That way those Kansas Jay hawk bush whackers will be looking for us to come down the creeks - the easy route - and not be looking for us where we are riding. Ifin we ride hard now and push all night we should get there before sunset tomorrow (or when ever we'd get there). We have that there injun scout that knows the area and should be able to get us there without us getting lost in these woods, and knows where them hard gunmen will be looking to set up on us.

Grab all them outlaws, eve the ones bleedin from their ears (and other orifices knowing what a concussive injury does), the goods and such they have been steeling (that we can carry fast), get them on their horses (tied tight hands together and roped neck to neck where one running will hang and be hung by the others) and lets ride like those red coat Mounties are already on our tail"

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I have done a bit of research last night and early today. Just to give me enough of a sense to give fairly accurate chances.