Gangbusters

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Gangbusters

Post by Tadhg »

Slimy post a pic in my "What gaming stuff are you reading" of Gangbusters. I was not familiar with that game but checked it out and methinks it could be used in Victorius, if one were to time forward the V game to the roaring '20s.

Any thoughts on this?
Attachments
gangbusters.jpg
gangbusters.jpg (131.66 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Gangbusters

Post by Treebore »

I would say you are right. Might get to explore that when I finally run Victorious for Mike and company. Maybe do some campaign time jumps, having them play middle age super powered characters in the 1920's.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

One of my players owns the rights to Gangbusters and has been in the process of rereleasing it. Expect a kickstarter in the next few months to launch the full rerelease.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Buttmonkey wrote:One of my players owns the rights to Gangbusters and has been in the process of rereleasing it. Expect a kickstarter in the next few months to launch the full rerelease.
That's cool.

Prices on ebay are high for the original and for the New 3rd Edition version.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Thanks to Glen H. I got a copy of the original game but I must admit I haven't read it. I'm sure Victorious would work in a roaring 20s game! However I'd think that Amazing Adventures would work better as its a default is a pulp-style game. I haven't read AA, so can't really say for sure but it seems like the obvious choice?

Or did I miss something by not reading it? ;)

GM Mike, who's been busy reading Cyborg Commando for SFH!
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I don't recall a lot of superheroic stuff in Gangbusters, but I suppose you could do some kind of super Elliott Ness.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:I don't recall a lot of superheroic stuff in Gangbusters, but I suppose you could do some kind of super Elliott Ness.
I don't think Rhu is saying Gangbusters is a supers game, I think he is just saying the time period could be used for Victorious. Therefore, the games time period specific info could be used.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:
Aergraith wrote:I don't recall a lot of superheroic stuff in Gangbusters, but I suppose you could do some kind of super Elliott Ness.
I don't think Rhu is saying Gangbusters is a supers game, I think he is just saying the time period could be used for Victorious. Therefore, the games time period specific info could be used.
Yep!

As y'all know, I like the grim or less than superheroes aspect of Victorius. And that's why I think Gangbusters would be cool as the game time zone.

But, for sure other GMs could sure use this time period for supers if they wished to.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

DMMike wrote:Thanks to Glen H. I got a copy of the original game but I must admit I haven't read it. I'm sure Victorious would work in a roaring 20s game! However I'd think that Amazing Adventures would work better as its a default is a pulp-style game. I haven't read AA, so can't really say for sure but it seems like the obvious choice?

Or did I miss something by not reading it? ;)

GM Mike, who's been busy reading Cyborg Commando for SFH!
Agree that AA would work!!

But, I feel that V is the better game for me an how I would run Gangbusters.

:)

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

<nod> I can't argue with that Rhu. BTW, I don't know if you got the Hunter & Hunter catalog but I stuck a Rhuvanian Walrus in there just for you. :)

Certainly a Grim chronicle in Vict would work in the roaring 20s...especially the more lethal use of firearms in Grim V. I'm a fan of Call of Cthulhu so I was trying to meet that feel in the Grim options; like Cthulhu by Gaslight but simpler. ;)

Personally (in my home games) I tend to run somewhere between Gilded and Grim, Neutral or Chaos. I did try to leave options for those who prefer air pirates and Castle Falkenstein style adventures as its certainly a viable way to play!

GM Mike

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hi Mike. Thanks for that. Every complete list of equipment and supplies should have a walrus on it!! :D

I only have the text document that you sent me. I hope to pick up the finished book soon.

Rhuvein (proud owner of 3 Rhuveinian walruses - 2 are purebred and the other one is a mutt).

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

...of course now someone will complain that Victorious doesn't have walrus training as a skill for those who want to capture in the wild and train themselves. You wait. :P

;)

GM Michael, who never captures walruses in the wild. Anymore. ;)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Excuse me for not elaborating on the particular powers of a Rhuveinian Walrus.

This magical creature from Scandia has a particularly large baculum (84cm). Yes, it's been documented. They typically service 2 to 3 cows per day!

They can fly - 75ft movement.

Invisibility twice per day.

Breath fire as dragons.

Intelligence = genius.

Polymorph self, 3 times per day.

They can shoot tusk bullets from a small blubber sac under the throat. 4-5 shots doing 1d4+1 damage.

AC = 33

They are spellcasters.

;)