(Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: (Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Post by Rigon »

So, two days in a row of straight up roleplaying without any combat. You know what that means for the KoK game right? :twisted:

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:So, two days in a row of straight up roleplaying without any combat. You know what that means for the KoK game right? :twisted:

R-
Even more role playing?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote:
maximus wrote:I'll probably be late again; my son has basketball playoffs tonight.

I hope his team wins! See you when you sign on.
Unfortunately they lost by 4 late in the game. Their best player fouled out with a minute left. The refs screwed up with the foul count, but wouldn't reverse it. The other team had a player over 6 ft tall (these kids are in 7th & 8th grade...). The kid didn't miss a shot. His older brother is the star player on UNC's basketball team as well. Anyway, it was a good season and my boy had fun. On to summer football practice soon...

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Soooooo I didn't miss the big shoot out .... What happened , did we sell all the goods we 'found' in Canada, or are we still haggling (and drinking all the good whiskey ) ????
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Soooooo I didn't miss the big shoot out .... What happened , did we sell all the goods we 'found' in Canada, or are we still haggling (and drinking all the good whiskey ) ????
You guys managed to sell everything off. You even set up an Ambush. I will let the others give you the details.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So you think your ready for an Ambush? I guess we will be finding out!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I will probably be a half hour or so late. We have to get ready for the Senior class trip tomorrow.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'm in, but my coms are poo .... earth shattering news that is ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

A very abreviated summary of our sessions...

Ran another session of my Aces and Eights game tonight. Its gotten pretty crazy. A couple of sessions back they went up into Canada and hunted down a bandit gang led by some brothers with good size bounties on their heads. Once they easily defeated that group with judiciously tossed sticks of dynamite, they also gained a lot of valuables. All of which they took back into the Montana territory while successfully avoiding the Canadian Mounties.

One item the bandits had was a barrel section of a Gatlin gun. Instead of selling it off to the US Military, they engaged in bribing their supply officer into selling THEM the pieces they needed to build a working Gatling Gun. So after selling off everything and obtaining the Gatling Gun, they then decided now was the time to deal with a large group of men they had heard of looking for them.

So they paid off a US Army IIndian Scout, who had seen the group in person, to go find the group and inform them that the PC's they were wanting were holed up on a ranch inside of a box canyon in the Montana territory, giving them very good directions on how to find it.

While waiting the PC's used most of the dynamite they had purchased, along with the wiring and detonator boxes they purchased, to create essentially land mines around the approach to the farmstead they had rented in the canyon. Adding in bits of metal and nails. They also set up a blind behind which they placed the Gatling Gun. Then they waited.

Then the group they were waiting for rode in from the S/E end of the canyon, as expected. They rode in blazenly, as if they had no worries about what they were here to do. They rode 30 strong.

Eventually they turned off the road that went through the canyon and cut towards the Farmstead. The party waited for the bandits to be as centered as possible around some trees the party had planted the bundles of dynamite.

Then they hit the plunger on the detonator box, and the earth exploded from underneath the hooves of the groups horses, killing 8 of the men instantly due to overlapping blast zones, and seriously injuring 5 more. Then, once the dirt and smoke cleared enough for them to see again, the Gatling Gun opened up!

Between the dynamite and the Gatlin gun, along with additonal rifle fire from the remaining PC's, it only took less than 2 seconds to have all but 8 of the men hunting them laying on the ground, dead, dying, unconcious, or too hurt to move anymore! Who instinctively realized the only way they might possibly live was to surrender, which they did. The party accepted their surrendur after killing one more of them before they could make it clear that they wished to surrender.

So yet again, due to great planning, great use of their purchased resources, and a great set up with using the Indian Scout to get the large group to come to precisely where they wanted them to, at the time of their choosing, won a battle against a group that outnumbered them 6 to one, with NONE of the 30 men even getting off a shot before realizing they were so out gunned and overwhelmed that they had no chance at victory, and only a possibility of survival, which is what they went for.

We ended the session with Enapay providing medical care as best as he could to the wounded men, and Tom and Christopher tending to the injured horses. So I need to do a couple of dozen rolls to see who will live, or die of compications

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:A very abreviated summary of our sessions...

... Then, once the dirt and smoke cleared enough for them to see again, the Gatling Gun opened up!

Between the dynamite and the Gatlin gun, along with additonal rifle fire from the remaining PC's, it only took less than 2 seconds to have all but 8 of the men hunting them laying on the ground, dead, dying, unconcious, or too hurt to move anymore! ...

. So I need to do a couple of dozen rolls to see who will live, or die of compications

& that is the definition of a perfect ambush !

Now, what worries me is that the cattle baron is going to be PISSED we killed 30 of his hands and someone related to him that was leading them ... Next time he will hire professionals that are seasoned, smarter, or both, & they may make their int check or perception and not be so flat footed. Eventually, it is going to be a truly hard fought gun fight.

That, or we need to get an excuse to ride in (well sneak in) and kill him before he sends the professionals out after us ... even then, it'll be an ugly gun fight

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, you didn't kill ALL of them, but you did gun down someone he thinks of as a son. Next session you should start learning who he is.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:A very abreviated summary of our sessions...

... Then, once the dirt and smoke cleared enough for them to see again, the Gatling Gun opened up!

Between the dynamite and the Gatlin gun, along with additonal rifle fire from the remaining PC's, it only took less than 2 seconds to have all but 8 of the men hunting them laying on the ground, dead, dying, unconcious, or too hurt to move anymore! ...

. So I need to do a couple of dozen rolls to see who will live, or die of compications

& that is the definition of a perfect ambush !

Now, what worries me is that the cattle baron is going to be PISSED we killed 30 of his hands and someone related to him that was leading them ... Next time he will hire professionals that are seasoned, smarter, or both, & they may make their int check or perception and not be so flat footed. Eventually, it is going to be a truly hard fought gun fight.

That, or we need to get an excuse to ride in (well sneak in) and kill him before he sends the professionals out after us ... even then, it'll be an ugly gun fight
We need some intel on this guy. We should see if anyone has a good Deception score, and send them in as a spy. If we play our cards right, he'll never know what happened to his guys.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Well, we know it can't be me, with my high Fame and Rep.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Well, we know it can't be me, with my high Fame and Rep.

R-
So are you guys going to keep these events "quiet"? To keep your fame and rep from changing even more? Your Rep is actually going to drop, a lot, from this, due to the dirty cheating and cowardly tactics you used, but your Fame will go up, a lot.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:Well, we know it can't be me, with my high Fame and Rep.

R-
So are you guys going to keep these events "quiet"? To keep your fame and rep from changing even more? Your Rep is actually going to drop, a lot, from this, due to the dirty cheating and cowardly tactics you used, but your Fame will go up, a lot.
I say we keep it as quiet as possible. We already have targets on our backs, why make it worse?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Well, you didn't kill ALL of them, but you did gun down someone he thinks of as a son. Next session you should start learning who he is.
I know what I would do to interrogate the survivors to get all the info from them. But that is well outside the wheel house of what Tom would know to do ...

However, yes we do need to get some info on who he is, why he hates us, where he is, what the lay out of the land is, etc etc etc.
maximus wrote:
Treebore wrote:
I say we keep it as quiet as possible. We already have targets on our backs, why make it worse?
Rgr that, Tom is a good guy so doesn't want to drop his rep (I don't think they were dirty cheating cowardly tactics, but that is me in 2003 - 2011 tactics and combat, but I can see the issue for 1890 cowboys - but with civil war in recent memory, the combat guys wouldn't see it as that bad). All that said, I agree we don't want a bigger target on our backs.

As for sending a spy in I agree, but we have to be careful. It can't be Tom - as a cowboy he would fit, but the scar makes him very recognizable which is a bad thing for a spy that the target wants to kill, it can't be the professor - a professor / federal law man won't fit in and is probably listed as one of the most wanted, it can't be Enapay, or Powers for obvious racial reasons, and that leaves ????

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I just got word that the guy I consider a big brother just got rushed to the hospital ... He has a lot of health issues, but this one sounds worse than normal.

If things go sideways, I may not be able to game ... If I'm a no show, you'll know he isn't doing well and I'll have to be there for my mom (they are close friends and she will take it hard).

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Thoughts and prayers, Les.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Thanks

Mom just let me know - she spent most of the day with him - his kidney function has improved to 25 - 30 % (yeah 25 an improvement isn't a good start) and there is still fluid and toxicity in his system. However, he is doing better than this AM, and the doc can increase his meds to get the kidneys more cleaned out tonight.

So, I'll be here for the game tonight

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Great news, Les.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I won't make it, been sleeping a good chunk of the day due to illness, going back to sleep again very soon.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

We had to stop our travel today due to my wife getting sick. We should be able to travel tomorrow, and if that is the case, I will not be able to run this game, because I won't even get home until very late.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

We have decided to stay in Amarillo after wrapping up our meeting with injury lawyers, so I will definitely be running this game for you, and my daughter will be joining us for the rest of the campaign, unless the job she gets in St Louis requires her dropping out again.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I apologize but I won't be able to make tonight's session. Should be able to make next week though. Feel free to play Enapay. Macros should be all set.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well amazingly, no TS has hit the area messing up coms, my ISP isn't jacking around and not letting me lock onto a tower, etc
Soooo, I'll be able to break my what 4 week stretch of missing games tonight - Unless of course my dog eats my lap top -

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

This game today. Rigon is still getting drunk up in the mountains.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

rgr, my 2 shooters are cleaned, the shells for my street howitzer are packed and dry, and my carbine is oiled . Everything is ready for the shoot out and hell fire ready to be loosed.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Tree, I have to put gaming on hold for a few weeks. My work schedule took a crazy jump for the rest of thea summer and I've lost some free time to work on the kitchen. I have to have a functioning kitchen by the time school starts (August 28), so I'll be taking a break from gaming. That's time inu can se to work on my kitchen.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Tree, I have to put gaming on hold for a few weeks. My work schedule took a crazy jump for the rest of thea summer and I've lost some free time to work on the kitchen. I have to have a functioning kitchen by the time school starts (August 28), so I'll be taking a break from gaming. That's time inu can se to work on my kitchen.

R-
No problem. Unless something crazy happens I can run games until then. It should definitely let us wrap up Aces and Eights by then.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm out tonight guys. I'll be around next week though. Have a good game.