Writing up a new power...

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Treebore
Mogrl

Writing up a new power...

Post by Treebore »

I will soon be running Victorious, finally, and one of my players has a concept not covered by the listed powers.

Basically they want to be able to "merge" with a given element, and become a living being made of that element. Imagine someone who can do what Colossus or Emma Frost does, but eventually being able to do many such forms. They want to start with being solid rock, and have their power evolve into being able to become many different forms via "merging" with a sample.

How should I go about mapping the progression of such a power?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Writing up a new power...

Post by DMMike »

(Normal explanation of its your game and what I say isn't official spiel)

Hmm. That might work as a theme "Elementalist"

Since its rock s/he are looking at first, I'd go with

Theme "Elemental Merging"
1 Armor (only useable when touching substance) +1 rank limit
2 Attribute to STR with above limit
3 Invulnerability (again with above limit)

With additional ranks purchased later to reflect fire, air, and water. Am I missing anything that they wish to include in their rock form?

A simpler way would be to go with Mass Variation, limited to only increase and must touch similar surface to activate. That'd probably be +2 ranks in the power right there for the limitations.

Yeah...and later on the character can buy the first limitation off to reflect wind elementalism.

Or, you can go with something else. This is just a bit of brainstorming!

GM Michael
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Been thinking about this on my drive from work the last few days (I've had hearings so needed my mind to wander and think about fun things to decompress)

Would a good shortcoming to buy down the cost of the power / package be requiring the hero to be touching a representation of the element they are assuming the form of ?

Say in the example of the taking the form of a rock, the hero needs a special granite river rock, piece of quartz , something like that.

It could be narrated as being a talisman like focus to help assuming the form.

Then as needed add other items for other elements as the power progresses to add the other elements ... water, a vile of mountain spring water or purified water ... fire ... ice ... air ... Ok this is a weakness of the idea. not sure what would be a good item for them that would represent an element but not be too common (air) or to short lived (fire & ice) . Maybe a gem that represents the element, an item touched by the element (high quality fire forged iron for the fire ) ... well not sure on any others

Then, as the game continues and the hero gets more levels, they can buy off the shortcoming, saying that they are now more in tune with the element and don't need the talisman to assume the form.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Incence or a similar substance could work for air; perhaps in a perfume bottle.

Fire could be sulfur (Brimstone); certainly a stand-in for fire.

I'll need to think on that before giving my (unofficial) opinion. On the one hand a specific substance rather than just the nearby equivalen is a greater limit than just touching any rock. On the other hand, making it a talisman could make it always on hand. Maybe a gadget with the power being more a matter of invoking internal powers rather than the power of a gadget itself?

Hmmm.

Mike, chewing on this idea...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I think the theme idea can work, and the limitation of needing to touch a given material was already how the player in question has been picturing it working. Before I had them start reading the rules.

Mike, I know this is many months later than planned, but are you still going to be able to play in this game?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Uhhh. Remind me again of the schedule?

Mike the forgetful

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:I think the theme idea can work, and the limitation of needing to touch a given material was already how the player in question has been picturing it working. Before I had them start reading the rules.

Mike, I know this is many months later than planned, but are you still going to be able to play in this game?

Sooooo great minds dooooo think alike - ;)

Glad to know that my idea was workable
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:Uhhh. Remind me again of the schedule?

Mike the forgetful
Mondays, 9 PM to Midnight Eastern Standard.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Hm. I can commit to every other Monday unless that would throw a wrench into things. If not, I'll just wish you guys the best of luck. Maybe I can RP a NPC every now and then. ;)

Mike

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:Hm. I can commit to every other Monday unless that would throw a wrench into things. If not, I'll just wish you guys the best of luck. Maybe I can RP a NPC every now and then. ;)

Mike

It can be done every other week. That is typically how we do it. Rigon runs one week, I run the next, and so on.