Favorite Halloween (or Seasonal) Adventure?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lord Dynel
Maukling

Favorite Halloween (or Seasonal) Adventure?

Post by Lord Dynel »

I probably started this a few days too late but better late than never. Maybe...

Halloween has arrived, and it's often heralded as the start of the "Holiday Season." That being said, I'm curious; what is your favorite Halloween - or other Holdiay Season themed - adventure?

(I'm suspecting a lot of Ravenloft :P )

For me, it's the old Judge's Guild adventure, "House on Hangman's Hill." Ran it this past weekend with the family. Four characters (fighter, wizard, cleric, and ranger), 5th level, with two 3rd level fighters as henchmen. They made it pretty far, but ran afoul of the spectral skeleton (that they should have avoided). Overall, it was a good time.

Anyone else have a favorite holiday adventure?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Revturkey
Mist Elf

Re: Favorite Halloween (or Seasonal) Adventure?

Post by Revturkey »

A couple spring to mind..that I enjoyed and so did the players.

The Westerfield Incident from 'Bumps in the Night'...a non-mythos Call of Cthulhu adventure anthology from Pagan Publishing. Nasty goings on around a small community.

The Dark Seed...a Savage Worlds Hellfrost adventure from Triple Ace Games. 'The Thing' inspired fun.

(not sure if they count as Halloween inspired but they are horror themed so a bit related...)

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Tegel Manor, from Judges Guild is my go-to for Halloween. Alas, with the convention so close I've had to skip running it this year. I'll just have to figure out how to import it for my Victorious game. :)

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

RAVENLOFT STRAHD !!!!

Loved it back in the day when it was sprung on me as a player, loved it years ago when Tree ran it to a multi group multi night 'contest' - I think one out of or so groups actually made it through - & my Paladin was not in the group that lived, thanks to me rolling min damage twice on my attack with the sun sword -

Will love it in the future when / if my girls are still into gaming enough for me to spring it on them ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I used to write a special one each year for my group. The best one that had everyone having night terrors afterwards was called Chateau of Skulls. A very unpleasant descent into a cursed burial mound. :D
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Trinket
Skobbit

Post by Trinket »

Just ran a "Save the Pumpkins " side trek for my 5E campaign
"Dave, get the barbarian in the corner another drink, quick!"

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Lots of faves, but Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh comes to mind. There's a similar MERP adventure in Assassins of Dol Amroth called "Home by the Sea," possibly inspired by the Genesis song. And of course the C&C adventure "Reaping Bones."
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Tomb of Horrors.

Swap some monsters around, add some decorations. Fits everywhere.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Some good options! I guess I should have stated that they didn't have to be holiday themed, specifically, but it looks like everyone got the gist!

Based off of serl's reply, I have a bonus question: do you all usually play a holiday adventure around Halloween? Are there other holidays that you have had a special adventure planned because of the holiday?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Boniaer
Henchman

Post by Boniaer »

Friday the 13th, a horror game, it's a fit to Halloween theme.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Based off of serl's reply, I have a bonus question: do you all usually play a holiday adventure around Halloween? Are there other holidays that you have had a special adventure planned because of the holiday?[/quote]

Yeah, I used to always do some kind of faery adventure for St. Patrick's day.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

My wife has an annual Zombie game at Christmas...

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Realistically, we don't play near holidays as the players take that time to do whatever else.. but seasonal is another story.

I have played a little adventure crafted around the movie Cabin in the Woods and several other horror movies have been inspiration for the 'Autumn game' with perennials such as Friday the 13th (both movies and TV series, mentioned already) or Leprechaun being the most obvious.

We have had some games with other holiday tones, even entire campaigns, where I introduced my wife's new elf/gnome (gewgaw, posted here somewhere) and ripped off whatever sounded fun, including the Miser from those old classic Xmas things.