Anyone doing historical settings?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.

What do you do with historical game accessories?

I am running, or going to run, a historical campaign.
21%
I own some, but mine them for ideas for another campaign.
42%
I own some, but they've been collecting dust (no use).
26%
I don't own these kinds of accessories.
5%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 19

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Anyone doing historical settings?

Post by Lord Dynel »

With the multitude of historical setting books out there that are either published by TLG (the various Codices) or ones from other publishers - I am partial to the "HR" series for 2nd Edition AD&D, myself - I am curious if there's anyone out there running, or planning to run, a historical game. I've considered running a 3rd-4th century BC game that utilizes Celts and Romans HR series campaign sourcebooks from TSR, but so far it's just been one of those things that I've thought about but haven't gotten any farther.

So, out of curiosity, I was wondering...what's going on with your historical supplements?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: Anyone doing historical settings?

Post by Omote »

I do own a number of historical reference books that I use for RPG purposes. Back in the day I ran D&D-like scenarios that dealt with Rome at the fall of Caesar (and later Cthulhu Invictus), as well as a campaign mimicking the events of Eaters of the Dead (13th Warrior). Nowadays, my various Osprey, Harn, medieval Arab and Viking reference material, and the like is used for my Birthright campaign that I will someday get off the ground.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I too really liked (actually, still like) the HR books from TSR. The Vikings book is my favorite, and contains the best treatment of the Runecaster class i've seen done. Simple, but different. The Berserker class is pretty good too. I have (awhile ago now) run games using the book. It wasn't historical per se (that is, not a fantasy version of Earth), but it worked quite well. And super-easy to convert to C&C.

Another good series is from Avalanche Press. Their Vikings book has all new classes, lots of detail. I particularly like their take on religion and the gods. AP did a number of these, including for ancient Egypt, Arabia, Celts, Camelot, China, and more i can't recall. But, that series was written for d20 so more work to convert to C&C.

I have played in a few historical games, and enjoyed them quite a bit. There is definitely a different feel when you already have a familiarity with the "setting". You immediately know what certain names and places mean instead of having to look it up in a book or ask the game master "would i have heard of that city/sea/person/thing?" I find a lot of appeal in a historical game. So i say go for it.

-Fizz

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Omote wrote: as well as a campaign mimicking the events of Eaters of the Dead (13th Warrior).
Ha! I too once did an adventure based on that. I love that book / movie. (Good soundtrack too.)
and the like is used for my Birthright campaign that I will someday get off the ground.
I used elements from the AD&D Vikings book to make my Birthright dwarves a bit different. Now, they no longer have clerics. Rather, they have Runecasters, whose runes shape mebhaighl to their will- focusing the energy. And it fits Birthright well since that magic is more subtle and not flashy.

Great minds think alike? Or is that crazy minds? Heh.

-Fizz

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice stuff Fizz. I remember in the deep history of Cerilia, that the elves never knew divine magic with the coming of the great migrations. Do you remember if the dwarves of ancient times had clerical magic? If not, wow, dwarven runecasters from the Vikings books is a great idea. I was thinking of using runecasters as a shamanistic group of classes that are derived from the most ancient peoples of the Giantdowns, and have slowly spread through the Rjurik peoples. The runecaster's would almost be like a small, but powerful cult slowly spreading it's influence through the harsh North-West of Cerilia. Hadn;t decided the actual depth of the runecaster in my Birthright lore yet.

Great minds DO think alike, sometimes in crazy ways. ;)

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I run "historical" in the context of things like Western RPG's, and currently Victorious, which I set in an alternate Earth of my own making in 1893 Chicago. Resources? Primarily the internet, but for my Western games I also have and use the Time Life book series as well as 4 more well respected books on the old West. Plus I often steal an idea or two from a multitude of other RPG's I own, including the 2E D&D books mentioned, and so on.

Its a lot like creating a personal recipe to me, take a teaspoon from this, a table spoon from that, a half cup from this over here, and so on, then mix, bake until it sets, and serve.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I have several HR books and I like them. I've only mined the Viking book for my Chronicles of Scandia mini campaign world that can be set in Greyhawk or Aihrde.

I like the "The Crusades" book as well as "Charlemagne's Paladins" and think it would be cool/fun to create some adventurers utilizing those books. It wouldn't be strict history at all but C&C fantasy set mebbe along side some actual battles.

I've also thought about how Fields of Battle could be used to great effect in a game in these settings.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I had to say other ... because I am not running any games and probably wont any time soon. So I can say I am running any historic game nor mining the historic books for my home brew.

However, if my girls were old enough to play a historic game or I was running a game for others, I would at the very least be heavily mining the historic books for ideas, if not actually running a historic game.
Rhuvein wrote:I have several HR books and I like them. I've only mined the Viking book for my Chronicles of Scandia mini campaign world that can be set in Greyhawk or Aihrde.

I like the "The Crusades" book as well as "Charlemagne's Paladins" and think it would be cool/fun to create some adventurers utilizing those books. It wouldn't be strict history at all but C&C fantasy set mebbe along side some actual battles.

I've also thought about how Fields of Battle could be used to great effect in a game in these settings.

:)
Rgr I have all the old historic books and used the Viking, Charlemagne, & crusades as game settings and as a mine for ideas. I also tried the 1600 century book for a swashbuckler/ musketeers game. However, the group ended up not lasting (military TDY and real life getting in the way)

Fiz , rgr on avalanche press' books they were a good source, I never got a chance to use them .
Fizz wrote:
Omote wrote: as well as a campaign mimicking the events of Eaters of the Dead (13th Warrior).
Ha! I too once did an adventure based on that. I love that book / movie. (Good soundtrack too.)

-Fizz
Rgr, I love the book, and though it isn't the same I like the movie too. & also RGR on the soundtrack.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

My whole world is the world, circa 1000 AD without Judaism/Christianity only Greeks.... (or Rome if you prefer). Each country has its history and native religions... people move and travel.. all maps and histories are there to delve into.. all you have to do is declare "all beliefs are real".
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Captain_K wrote:My whole world is the world, circa 1000 AD without Judaism/Christianity only Greeks.... (or Rome if you prefer). Each country has its history and native religions... people move and travel.. all maps and histories are there to delve into.. all you have to do is declare "all beliefs are real".
You know, that kind of reminds me of the Kingdoms of Legend setting that was done for Pathfinder. Do you use Greeks as the predominant religion across the world? KoL kind of does that, but every culture has its own flavor. So, basically, the same 12 gods are used (plus some "old" gods). Christianity is absent. Interestingly enough, the campaign start for the product is 1415 CE, a reference to a historical event that never took place (because of no Christianity!). How do you deal with things like year-reckoning, or historical events from our history, Captain? I'm interested in knowing about peoples historical campaigns. Why did you choose to leave out Christianity? The obvious touchiness of the subject?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Omote wrote:Nice stuff Fizz. I remember in the deep history of Cerilia, that the elves never knew divine magic with the coming of the great migrations. Do you remember if the dwarves of ancient times had clerical magic? If not, wow, dwarven runecasters from the Vikings books is a great idea.
I don't think it's ever stated. Moradin is not one of the new gods, suggesting he existed before Deismaar. But at the same time the elves knew nothing of divine magic before the human tribes arrived. The only way i can reconcile that is that the elves and dwarves left each other alone, which i think is consistent with canon.

I've always liked each race / culture having its own magical traditions. Unique mechanics helps in having that feel distinct. Runes seem natural for dwarves, so i went with that.

-Fizz

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'm going to start a caveman game set in a near-total ice age. Spells and such will be around, but they're not like usual casting... not intended for combat, anyway, without magic items. I think I'll allow sasquatch/yeti PCs.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

serleran wrote:I'm going to start a caveman game set in a near-total ice age. Spells and such will be around, but they're not like usual casting... not intended for combat, anyway, without magic items. I think I'll allow sasquatch/yeti PCs.
Interesting. That's easy enough, I'd reckon. And GURPS Low Tech would be a good resource for you...unless you want to get writing that sourcebook for C&C!

I just got to thinking about all these cool historically-themed accessories and realized that I've never done anything substantial. Considering I've done very little with the original historically-themed sourcebook - Deities & Demigods - I wondered if anyone was doing anything with the ones that have been published.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

LORD D Q: Do you use Greeks as the predominant religion across the world?
A: Only in Greece controlled areas.. Romans never conquered and Judeo-Christian is at best a Cult IF someone wants to play it, but no one ever has wanted to do so. Even our Jewish friend opted for a Celtic Druid. Norse in the North, German, Celts, Chinese, Japanese, and even the Native Americans! You have all creatures, beliefs, history, maps, art, object... the Egyptians and Babalonians are ancient, etc.
Q: How do you deal with things like year-reckoning, or historical events from our history, Captain?
A: Easy, if you pretend Rome and thus Christianity did not take over, and you just assume those cultures moved along and traded, fought, traveled (as always, especially the Norse). So basic languages, old stories, maps, peoples all work. Going back in time is easy, its only after about 1,000 AD it gets tough, but we rarely go forward in time since the tech and inventions are too much. Magic and ancient races like elf and dwarf need to be blended too.
Q: Why did you choose to leave out Christianity? The obvious touchiness of the subject?
A: Noted above sort of.... Happy to use it, but it is a fantasy game and being a polite christian might not be enough fantasy for them? My teams have never had an issue with touchiness over the past 36 years. But if you have Judeo-Christian world conquest.. well then its only one religion and not very exciting or fantastic.. the old religions and old cultures are the heart of the creatures and heroes of old and cornerstone to my games.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

serleran wrote:I'm going to start a caveman game set in a near-total ice age. Spells and such will be around, but they're not like usual casting... not intended for combat, anyway, without magic items. I think I'll allow sasquatch/yeti PCs.
There was a neat concept for a video game earlier this year called Farcry: Primal. After playing I really wanted to run just such an RPG session. Though, I think with my group it might be a short-lived campaign. But I still want to try!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:
There was a neat concept for a video game earlier this year called Farcry: Primal. After playing I really wanted to run just such an RPG session. Though, I think with my group it might be a short-lived campaign. But I still want to try!

~O
Dude, I love Farcry: Primal!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Captain_K wrote:LORD D Q: Do you use Greeks as the predominant religion across the world?
A: Only in Greece controlled areas.. Romans never conquered and Judeo-Christian is at best a Cult IF someone wants to play it, but no one ever has wanted to do so. Even our Jewish friend opted for a Celtic Druid. Norse in the North, German, Celts, Chinese, Japanese, and even the Native Americans! You have all creatures, beliefs, history, maps, art, object... the Egyptians and Babalonians are ancient, etc.
Q: How do you deal with things like year-reckoning, or historical events from our history, Captain?
A: Easy, if you pretend Rome and thus Christianity did not take over, and you just assume those cultures moved along and traded, fought, traveled (as always, especially the Norse). So basic languages, old stories, maps, peoples all work. Going back in time is easy, its only after about 1,000 AD it gets tough, but we rarely go forward in time since the tech and inventions are too much. Magic and ancient races like elf and dwarf need to be blended too.
Q: Why did you choose to leave out Christianity? The obvious touchiness of the subject?
A: Noted above sort of.... Happy to use it, but it is a fantasy game and being a polite christian might not be enough fantasy for them? My teams have never had an issue with touchiness over the past 36 years. But if you have Judeo-Christian world conquest.. well then its only one religion and not very exciting or fantastic.. the old religions and old cultures are the heart of the creatures and heroes of old and cornerstone to my games.
Sounds pretty sweet, man...thanks for enlightening me!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=13910

This helps explain it as I normally roll it out. Its great if players love history or any country for that matter because you can roll it all in. I have an Italian who wants his dwarf to be Italian.. no problem dwarves in the mountains sound good. Then I have Francophiles as thieves and a Gnomish Druid of old English decent (player is 6'9".. "I want to be the shortest Gnome possible!" - now that's roll playing).

Anyway, its a great way to go and everyone has all of history to draw from.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like most people are pretty much like me - they have them (I'm missing the latter few, but have the early C&C releases) but they're not doing much other than borrowing from them. They caught my eye the other day and started thumbing through one (Nordica) and got inspired...then wondered what everyone was doing with them.