Thank God for the Internet

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Thank God for the Internet

Post by Persimmon »

So I finally made it to my NSFLGS today, about 80 miles from my house. To be honest we have a game store in town, as well as a hobby store, but both are pretty mainstream. For RPGs it's pretty much 5e and Pathfinder, with occasional sighting of Call of Cthulhu or Adventures in Middle Earth (5e, not The One Ring).

But this place supposedly had a much bigger selection and lots of used stuff, including 1st edition AD&D. It turns out that they do have a fair amount of 1st/2nd edition AD&D, though mostly rule books and supplements rather than modules. Prices are a bit high ($39.95 for a well-used 1st edition DMG), but at least you can get them there. They also have a smattering of GURPS, MERP, Legend of Five Rings, and a few others, though again mostly rule books and supplements.

But what was most surprising I guess is the lack of knowledge of the owner. I had some Pathfinder stuff I was thinking about unloading. Mostly bestiaries, but all barely used. One book was purchased last fall, read once and put on the shelf. Since I've been doing mostly C&C and loading up on OSR monster books, I thought I might be able to sell or trade these Pathfinder items for other things. Well, after the owner tried to lowball me by claiming all my books were badly damaged with (barely visible) scratches and dents that literally happened during shipping, he asked what I was actually playing and looking for. So I told him I was interested in OSR games and supplements these days. He had no idea what the term meant. So I tried to explain and to give him examples of games like C&C, Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord etc. Still nothing. Then he started talking about Lejendary Adventures and acting like he had this hidden knowledge about Gary Gygax. When I then brought up the C&C connection to that, he tried to act like he knew what I was talking about, but it was clear he didn't. So I decided to keep all my stuff and keep buying pretty much all my gaming stuff from the internet. So glad people in isolated places like me can find this stuff and engage in discussions about it across the world.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Thank God for the Internet

Post by DMMike »

Ah, the FLGS owner who sneers at whatever game you're playing and insists on telling you about HIS/HER fave game which is so much better. Its just like the old days!

<happy sigh> It brings a tear to my eye, it does!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Funny, but my FLGS owner doesn't sneer. He smiles and just says "if you want it I will order it for you" and takes my money. :)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I stopped in my not local or very friendly store and was surprised to see they had a complete collection (sans promo items but with the 5 expansions) of Descent 1st edition on sale for $80. I bought it. The guy said they had the boxes, and then said they threw them out. The items had been in the store for less than one hour. They decided no one would want the boxes or that 'there was no point' in keeping them. I told them, had they kept the boxes, I would have paid more for the game since boxes are a component of a complete game. Instead, my wife and I salvaged them from the garbage. Thankfully, the lid had been closed and only a little snow got in -- we were able to brush that off without further damaging the boxes.

I find that to be a bit insane. The boxes hadn't even been in the store for 60 minutes. Sure, they occupy space, but it seems to me that it might be more worthwhile to at least keep them and offer to a prospective buyer than to just toss them aside.

Things like this make me not want to go into that store anymore.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

That is insanely stupid. Any collector knows the box is often the most important component to the over all value. At least you were able to save them!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.