Flying People and Flight Rules (such as they may be)

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Flying People and Flight Rules (such as they may be)

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Hey gang, I'm probably looking right at them and right over them, but could someone more well-versed in this game than I am tell me what the name of the winged humanoids are in this game? I assume it has them -- every game does -- but all of the usual names (Winged People, Avians, etc) are coming up blank.

I own Monsters & Treasure, Classic Monsters, and Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde, so if it's in any of those books, I can find it.

While we're at it, does anyone know where there may be some rules, even if only perfunctory, dealing with flying creatures? Lots of creatures fly but I don't recall seeing any rules dealing with it. I realize this is a rules-lite game and there probably won't be anything too detailed, but that's actually better... I'm not looking for comprehensive rules, just some basics.

I have a CKG but I think it's an older one, and I didn't see anything about flight there. If anyone has a direction to point me in, it would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Flying People and Flight Rules (such as they may be)

Post by alcyone »

Second printing of the CKG, pp 175-177 has an aerial combat section, in which creatures are listed with Aerial Combat Ratings, which is kind of a general purpose modifier you add to attack rolls, AC, and attribute checks, and there are a set of maneuvers (e.g. Barrel Roll) detailed. The rules are fairly basic and don't really concern themselves with your exact speed or location in 3d space and the effects of these are converted to modifiers.

I don't know of any winged humanoids such as you describe. Aihrde has several evil winged creatures with vaguely humanoid features, but nothing like, say, Hawk-men from Flash Gordon. I would assume they'd have the "fly" movement type so if you have the PDFs you can search on that, but I didn't see anything like that in those books.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

The 1st print CKG should have the same information in it. It would be with the water movernemt/combat section.

Off the top of my head, there is the Aurakra and the Avriel (winged elves), and Kenku. Not sure if they have a C&C version of any of these, but you can use the 2e version and extrapolate.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

CKG 1st print, info on air travel/movement/combat starts on page 147.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Crusaders Companion has something in it I think.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Ah, thanks for the help.

For a long time I assumed I had a later CKG because it talks about how Illusionists can cast healing spells, which is a development that didn't occur until later in C&C's evolution. Things I'd read online had me doubt that, and I began to get the idea that a CKG didn't come along until much later in C&C's production history.

This post pretty much confirms it, and yup, I've got the old one. Suggestions for aerial adventures begin on page 147. Perfect!

Thanks also for letting me know that there's no "Flash Gordon" style winged humanoids in the C&C books but for pointing out where to find them. Much appreciated!