Whats changed?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
GameOgre
Ulthal

Whats changed?

Post by GameOgre »

I have been gone for a while and am just now getting back into C&C again.

The last book I bought was the (at the time) brand new Castle Keepers Guide. I actually bought the small version or miniaturized version and loved it.

I just decided last night after running 5E for the last time, that I was heading back to C&C and took a spin and saw all the new lovely new book printings.

Has the game changed much? I do plan on eventually buying all those new awesome art versions of my old books but I need to priorities.

I think I have the 3rd or 4th printings of all the basic books other than the above mentioned CKG.

Are there any actual rules changes? If so what book should I get first?

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: Whats changed?

Post by Omote »

For the main books, there is little to no changes other than cosmetic for the current PHB, M&T, and CKG. I couldn't speak for any other book in the C&C line.

M&T is getting a redo pretty soon (2019?) where TLG is going to combine the M&T, Classic Monsters, as well as monsters that have appeared in individual adventure modules into one full-color product. The Monsters and Treasures of Aihrde book will remain a separate product. It looks like according to TLG's last Kickstarter the new M&T will be a big ole' hardbound book, as well as a binder with loose-leaf pages for each monster. Though TLG has admitted they are having a spot of trouble making the binder small and usable enough to encompass all of the monsters from the various sources. Work continues.

The CKG has not been updated, with the exception of the cover art.

Of course, minor corrections and errata have been updated for most of the recent printings of these books.

I think starting with the 3rd or 4th printing of the PHB, there was an additional appendix added regarding multiple-classed characters in various forms first appeared (multi-class, class-and-a-half). A very nice section if you don't already have it. Of course, the most recent printing of the PHB still contains this appendix.

The most recent PHB with the alternative cover (4 heroes on the cover with the red/firedragon) is just too damn cool for school and rocks so hard.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

Thanks man! Just what I needed to know.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The second printing CKG has 342 pages, and the first printing has 289. Certainly there is something new.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

The page increase is due to changing the font size from 9 to 12. Lots of grammar and mechanics fixes for the optional rules in the book, but I don't recall adding anything new.

EDIT: To clarify, I was talking about the Castle Keepers Guide above.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Welcome back! Plenty to catch up on.. fun stuff by your peers to read in the Domesday Books. Lots of plans and some coming to be.. I think the TLG store should summarize what's reprinted and whats new too.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Mediapig71
Skobbit

Post by Mediapig71 »

Between 4th and 7th printing, Barbarian Intimidation ability changed a bit...

4th Printing: Target(s) must make a CHR save or be intimidated.

7th Printing: Barbarian must make a CON check to intimidate the target(s).

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Much prefer the original version. It stays inline with standard abilities like "target must save vs. fireball" and not 'wizard must save to cast it.'

But, that's fine... definitely alters the game play.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

If we're talking about the basic books and not just the CKG, the biggest change made in Monsters & Treasure is correcting the XP values of every single monster in the book. The second biggest change was to fix the armor and shields tables so they actually worked. Most monster and magic descriptions received a polish. Spell resistance got tweaked. SR for all creatures is at least 1, and magic items which provide spell resistance now do so in the form of a modifier to the spell resistance rating. The biggest change in the PHB was the revamp to the Barbarian, which I believe GameOgre knows about already, followed by the simplification of the encumbrance rules.

There's lots of little things that got fixed such as the page count of spell books and the maze spell, but what I listed above were the big changes.

Mediapig71
Skobbit

Post by Mediapig71 »

serleran wrote:Much prefer the original version. It stays inline with standard abilities like "target must save vs. fireball" and not 'wizard must save to cast it.'

But, that's fine... definitely alters the game play.
Does anyone know why they changed it?

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Mediapig71 wrote:Does anyone know why they changed it?
They didn't; the target must still save.

Mediapig71
Skobbit

Post by Mediapig71 »

Obviously its your game, your rules, but according to the 7th printing, the intimidation takes effect when the barbarian makes a successful CON check. No save for the target is mentioned, and it specifically states says the ability takes effect as soon as the barbarian uses it.

That being said, I think I kind of prefer the older "target makes CHR save" version myself.

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

You guys forgot to mention the healing Illusionist. See, the Illusionist sucks as a class as it is really just a Wizard that cast Illusion spells. Much like an Enchanter, Conjurer, Pyromancer, etc. The earlier versions try to make it unique by making it so Wizards can't cast a lot of the Illusion spells and by adding some abilities like disguise, which makes it "unique". It still sucked, but it is one of the Troll's favorite classes, so he said hey lets make the Illusionist heal too. How you may ask? Well the official explanation is the recipient truly believes they are healed, so it works.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

The "official explanation" is that illusionists alter reality. They change reality to one where the wounds are healed.
An illusionist uses magic to alter the perceptions of others and even reality itself. This magic deceives the senses, creates false images and sounds, changes sensory qualities, affects the mind’s perceptions, and in some cases fashion arcane energies into something real.
(Emphasis mine.)

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

The cure/heal spells say otherwise. They make an Intelligence check. If they fail it, they realize the magic is fake and don't heal.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

If the Int check succeeds the recipient of the spell rejects the alteration of reality (same is true of all Illusionist spells - making the save rejects the alteration of reality). Also, the healing spells are marked as (h) which means the recipient can refuse to make the save and have the spell act normally.
A parenthetical (h) indicates a harmless spell, one that is usually beneficial but still allows a targeted creature to attempt a saving throw if it wishes.

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

If the Illusionist is actually altering reality, someone being smart wouldn't stop that. The mind of matter crud in the explanation fits more with the Psionicist archetype. The real Illusionist archetype would be an offshoot of the Rogue.

Mediapig71
Skobbit

Post by Mediapig71 »

Oh that's interesting... I never realized that. Maybe a troll could chime in here? Can recipients of Illusionist healing spells choose not to make a saving throw (in which case, it makes them much more powerful.)

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Well, I quoted the PHB, where it says those throws are made "if [the recipient] wishes".

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

There is no (h) on the save, it is on the spell resistance. It specifically says that a saving throw must be made.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Very excellent points, re: illusionist class by y'all. For me, you add to and support my thoughts on why The Trolls destroyed this class with their changes.

I always like to go the example, as mentioned above - illusionist faux "heals" and the subject "believes" it.

Larry, "thanks man, I feel great!" Leon, "you're welcome, dude!"

Joe, "glad to hear it Larry, but one thing. Blood is pouring out of that sword wound and you'll be dead shortly! Earl! - calls for the cleric, "you better help Larry or he is gonna be one dead muthahubbard. And by way, everyone, forgettabout Leon's "healing", ya know!

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Peter wrote:There is no (h) on the save, it is on the spell resistance. It specifically says that a saving throw must be made.
7th Printing, Page 75:
VOLUNTARILY GIVING UP A SAVING THROW: a creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this if he or she wants to.
No one is ever *required* to attempt a saving throw.

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

7th Printing, Page 99, Cure Light Wounds:
The illusionist version of the spell acts in the same manner with one important exception. The spell recipient of the spell must make an intelligence saving throw.
If the author's were to put every exception to a rule into that rules section, the book would be a mess. I've seen it done tho :P