Best ON SCREEN dragon.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Omote
Battle Stag

Best ON SCREEN dragon.

Post by Omote »

With the recent discussion of bad fantasy films, let's change it up and and discuss your favorite dragon that has appeared on screen in movies, or television.

I'm going to go with the vicious Hungarian Horntail dragon that Harry Potter faces in the Goblet of Fire movie (HP4). The special FX for Harry's dragon battle during the TriWizard tournament is exquisite. While we don't get to really see the dragon's personality during the movie (other than being relentless and vicious), we do get to see the danger such a middle-aged dragon could possibly inflict on PCs in a D&D game. The scene in this movie where Harry Potter has to defeat the dragon really puts into perspective just how dangerous fighting a dragon in D&D can be. Harry Potter has a magical artifact that helps him fly. For any would-be dragonslayers on the ground, the scene from this movie makes it seem virtually impossible to defeat without some sort of flight, and wizardry at your side.

Best dragon sequence ever on film in my estimation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Qx_lzj1NM

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Best ON SCREEN dragon.

Post by maximus »

I always liked Smaug in the Rankin-Bass '70s cartoon.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Smaug in the new movies is pretty awesome. The one my mind goes back to frequently is the Reign of Fire dragon, when it attacks the castle.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote: The one my mind goes back to frequently is the Reign of Fire dragon, when it attacks the castle.
I forgot about that movie. That was a bad ass dragon.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Vermithrax Pejorative
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I like the Smaug from the new Hobbit movies.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

To echo my comment in the earlier thread, I'd have to go with Vermithrax from Dragonslayer. He just moves in an organic way that matches my imagination - even puffs up his chest before he breathes fire!

Other favorites from my youth include the chained dragon from 7th Voyage of Sinbad and King Ghidorah from various Godzilla films. CG dragons don't do it for me (though the trio in GoT are pretty good).

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well I'm an avid Tolkien fan so I HAVE to vote for Smaug. Other parts of the movie may annoy me (the fight in and rolling ball in the goblin cave etc) but the movie got Smaug right.

That said I do like Dragonslayer (the movie and the dragon in it)

Rgr on HP and showing how dangerous a dragon fight should be.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Another vote for Vermithrax 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I like Smaug from the Hobbit movies for sure. But what about Draco from Dragonheart? A dragon with the voice of Sean Connery deserves consideration.

-Fizz

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I have to go with Reign of Fire as well. I think the alpha could've given the Xenomorphs a run for their money.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Also going to vote for Vermithrax of Dragonslayer fame. Just re-watched it, and the special effects still hold up. For being silent, the dragon still come across as cruel and malicious.

Smaug in the recent Hobbit...hrm. I liked the voice, especially the low bass register that made it feel like a massive creature was speaking, but something about the look didn't quite do it for me.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Also going to vote for Vermithrax of Dragonslayer fame. Just re-watched it, and the special effects still hold up. For being silent, the dragon still come across as cruel and malicious.

Smaug in the recent Hobbit...hrm. I liked the voice, especially the low bass register that made it feel like a massive creature was speaking, but something about the look didn't quite do it for me.
Was that the look of the dragon or the look of the rest of the movie ? ;)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Lurker wrote:
Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Also going to vote for Vermithrax of Dragonslayer fame. Just re-watched it, and the special effects still hold up. For being silent, the dragon still come across as cruel and malicious.

Was that the look of the dragon or the look of the rest of the movie ? ;)
Or both. ;)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Heh, I actually liked the design on a lot of The Hobbit – I thought Guillermo Del Toro’s influence was clear in a bunch of places. Heck, I loved the zany hair and beard styles of the dwarves. Did not love the bird poop on Radagast – I think that Peter Jackson’s instinct towards designating a character as comic relief has lead him down some wrong turns.

But anyway, as for Smaug, I think, if I had to pick one thing, it’s the shape of his jaw, the curve of his mouth. Seems a petty thing, when I write it down, though.
Lurker wrote: Was that the look of the dragon or the look of the rest of the movie ? ;)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If we ignore animation, Godzilla.