Saturday C&C - The Tomb of Abysthor

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Kayolan
Lore Drake

Saturday C&C - The Tomb of Abysthor

Post by Kayolan »

Looks like I'll be starting a game soon. It will be on Saturday nights, starting around 8-9 Eastern. We play on Roll20 for our tabletop and use Discord or Skype for voice, depending on what works best for everyone.

If you are interested, let me know, post a player character if you like. Follow the rules in the C&C Players Handbook, only you may give yourself maximum HP at first level and may roll 4d6 and drop the lowest die six times, then assign the scores to your attributes as desired. Don't concern yourself too much with background or setting at this point.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Re: Calling all players - Saturday C&C game

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Hurrah! So excited to game again (if you'll allow me to join)
I used the Rappan Atthuk space on roll20 for my rolls
E.B.
Half Orc Fighter
Neutral good

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 13
Int 13
Wis 13
Cha 8

hp: 11
ac 15
Weapon Spec: Bearded Axe

primes: str, con

Armor: cuir bouille
spent: 65/100 gold
Attachments
eb for josh's game.png
eb for josh's game.png (58.51 KiB) Viewed 14560 times

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Here's an illusionist. I also rolled a cleric to use instead if we don't get a strong "core 4" party.
Robespierre, CN Human Illusionist
STR 8 *DEX 15 CON 9 *INT 18 WIS 14 *CHA 17 HP 4 AC 11
Sharp Senses, Bonus Spells, Disguise (CHA)
Club, Darts x 6
Spellbook ("The Long Lost Friend"):
0: Prestidigitation, Detect Illusion, Light, Message
1: Charm Person, Color Spray, Read Magic

43.29 gp

Equipment
--------------
Spellbook
Ink, Quill, scroll case with 10 sheets of paper
Chalk
1 week rations
waterskin
bedroll, blanket
torch, flint, steel
Component Pouch
Shoulder Pack

"They say that he's famous from the waist down
But the top half of his body is a corpse.
His gold can't buy him sleep
His poverty runs so deep
In winter, he cracks; in summer he warps."

"His skin looks like he slept in it
Or had something rotten kept in it."
Robespierre Roll20 Token
Robespierre Roll20 Token
robespierre-2-token.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 14549 times
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Looks good, glad you are both able to play :)

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Treebore's Character:

Davin Stoneman

Campaign: Josh's
Level: 1/1
Race: Human

Class: Ranger/Druid (holds Freya as a patron deity)

Alignment: Neutral Good

STR 16 +2 Prime

DEX 12 Prime

CON 17 +2

INT 18 +3

WIS 17 +2 Prime

CHAR 13

Languages: Common, Fey, Giant, Sylvan

Secondary Skill: Construction

HP 11

AC 14

Armour: Cuir Bouille (+4)

BTH: +0

To Hit/Damage: +2/+ 2

Weapons:
Sling
20 stones
Dagger

Animal Companion (Animal Friendship): Wolf, 2 HD, 14 HP, AC 13, BtH; +2, Damage ?

Equipment:

Backpack
Bedroll
6 torches
50' hemp rope
3 large sacks
2 small sacks
Waterskin
Pot
Iron Kettle
Fishing Gear
Flint and Steel
Grappling Hook
Crowbar
Horn
10 iron spikes
2 weeks iron rations
Wolvesbane
1 bar of soap

Class Abilities:
Druid: Nature Lore (WIS), Spells, Resist Elements (2nde level), Woodland Stride (3rd Level), Totem Shape (6th)
Ranger:Comat Marauder (bonus Damage), Conceal (DEX), Delay/Neutralize Poison (WIS), Move Silent (DEX), Scale (DEX), Traps (WIS)
Survival (WIS), Track (WIS), Favored Enemy (6th Lvl)

Magic Items:

Spells:

Create Water
Light
Endure Elements

1st
Calm Animals
Entangle

Treasure:

93 gp 1sp 4 cp

rom90125
Red Cap

Post by rom90125 »

Gab,. With your permission I will roll up a cleric for the party...cool?
Achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is within you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

rom90125 wrote:Gabe,. With your permission I will roll up a cleric for the party...cool?
Sounds good!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

rom90125
Red Cap

Post by rom90125 »

http://www.charactersheet.net/rpg/dice- ... b4adecb046 (17, 14, 13, 13, 12, 10)

Name: Damelon son of Berek
Race: Human
Class: Cleric of Thyr - https://adventures-in-the-lost-lands.ob ... s-pantheon
Level: 1st
Alignment: Lawful Good
XP:

Attributes
*STR 14 +1
DEX 13 +1
*CON 13 +1
INT 10 +0
*WIS 17 +2
CHA 12 +0

Languages: Common

Abilities:
HP: 9 (d8 + 1)

AC : 15 (Armor +4, Dex +1)

Armor: Cuir Bouille (+4)

BTH: +0

Weapons: Mace, Heavy (1d8)

Spells: 3/1+1/0+1
**0th**
Detect Magic, First Aid, Light

**1st**
Cure Light Wounds, Shield of Faith

**2nd**
Lesser Restoration (unable to cast until 2nd level)

Equipment:
Includes a backpack, blanket, a hammer, knife, 10 blessed pitons, 6 torches, 6 candles, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it. A belt pouch with two internal pockets: one with salt and the other with incense. Prayer book (digest sized tome), prayer beads and holy symbol (4" silver cross on medium weighted chain)

Magic Items:

Treasure:
Gold: 2
Silver: 5
Copper: 20
Gemstones:
Jewelry:
Attachments
Damelon.jpg
Damelon.jpg (213.14 KiB) Viewed 14509 times
Achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is within you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Saturday C&C - The Crucible of Freya

Post by Kayolan »

Fun game last week all, good first session!

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

I really should have been posting notes here before, but here is the first set of notes with coherence after my debacles of note posting with windoze.

SNG with Josh 11/24/2018

Gnolls on the horizon!

Session 10 of campaign

Rumors in Fairhill

“These orc raids have been growing more and more frequent. Bah! It’s
as if we live next to Rappan Athuk or some other den of evil!”

“It’s horrible! I hear they found the whole family by the road, mutilated.
And the women and children…they were…I can’t speak of it!”

“So, you fancy yourselves adventurers, do you? You’re probably friends of 
that halfling, Lannet. You tell him he owes me for those beers.”

“Eralion? Wasn’t he the wizard who built that old keep off in the forest?
They say it’s ruined now. I wouldn’t go near it. ‘Happy is the village
whose wizards are all ashes,’ I say.”

“Eralion’s Keep? Everyone knows that a vampire lives within those
ruined walls. What else can explain the shadowy figure people see at night.
I would advise you to stay away from that accursed place!”

“Shandril has been here for a long time—as long as I can remember.
Without her, this village would have disappeared long ago. Praise be to
Freya.”

“The wizard Eralion? He’s been dead these last 20 years or so. His keep
is in ruins now. Someone said he used to worship Thyr, but how can that
be when his keep was built by demons and held together by magic? You
won’t catch me going near some ruined wizard’s castle.”

“Have you heard the story of Fendrin? He lost his wife and children
to some evil beast. A manticore I heard it called, though I’ve never seen
it. He’s probably over at the Cockatrice now, drowning his sorrows.”

“Adventurers are you? Huh! Some villagers went missing recently.
They fancied themselves adventurers. Never saw them again, did we? One
of them was the blacksmith’s girl, Arialle.” 

“You know, they say that Arlen used to be a great adventurer and that
he even served in the Lyreguard at Bard’s Gate.”

“Some say Shandril is more than she seems. I think she might have used
some strange magic on Arlen. He always seems to do what she wants. I
don’t trust her.”

“I heard merchants talking. They said someone has destroyed the old
way station on the Tradeway through Stirge Wood. The Duke’s men will have 
to do something about that or the merchants won’t be able to get here 
from Bard’s Gate.”

Heard from merchants: “We were beset by a group of gnolls in Stirge
Wood. Seems they’ve taken up residence in the burnt way station. We left 
with our lives but not our purses. And they took three of our horses!” 

“Stirge Wood! Hah! You wouldn’t catch me dead in that place. And dead is 
what you’ll be if you go there. Full of spiders and stirges, it is! Nasty!”

“I wouldn’t cross Shandril. They say that when she first came to Fairhill
she drove out an old witch who tried to kill her. They say Shandril blinded
her. Some say she still lives in the forest near to Eralion’s keep.”

“I heard tell that long ago Eralion was in love with both Shandril and
some witch and Shandril cursed the both of them! They say the old witch
still lives in a cave near his keep and mourns for her lost love.” 

We have spent a week in Fairhill. Pahni forages the woods nearby and we buy some local veggies as well.

An entourage arrives, Sir Erlinar, the sheriff. We see a mounted knight with 6 footmen accompanying him. He bears tidings that things must be done, one of the way stations has problems. Gnolls have taken it over. They also burnt the stockade which will need to be repaired. He demands lumber, and craftsmen, and 8 men. Mognar, the loud mouth, exclaims we could possibly help. He barters for a mark, a pass in the land from the duke. The sheriff suggests he is parched and can wait a day to leave. We all head to the Drunken cockatrice. He is something of a Dbag. It seems he always stiffs the innkeeper for food and drink.

In the morning, he is riding through the market, making people get out of the way and he seems to look down on people. He is making sure the lumber will be supplied. Robespierre gathers pigs swill into a glass, and using prestidigitation, makes it seem is something fine. Then gives it to him, and he is initially impressed, but disgusted at tasting. EB suggests he may not be man enough to drink it, but he only dismounts and retches. Mognar speaks a blessing over him asking he gets what he deserves.

We learn a little of Lannete. He is a thief and a scamp, but allowed freedom because he is good for info.

He tries to back out of giving us men, but gives in and gives up 2 but we must pay their burial tax of 50 GP each if they die.

We barter from 100 GP each but he doesn’t go up, so Robespierre casts charm person. Then he beckons him down from his horse. He tries to convince him to pay us 175 GP each in advance, but he doesn’t have it on him He gives up 5 amethysts (100GP) and 6 men. Robespierre could pocket the gems discreetly but chooses not to. Mognar gets his written mark granting authority through the Autumn and can also demand from peasants and farmers shelter and labor. The 6 footmen carry long swords and spears.

We embark on our venture! It is the first week of November. There is a severe thunderstorm, with 65 MPH winds. So we are forced to wait to leave until noon. We arrive at a way station around dusk. It is a square 60 foot to a side compound with 15 foot walls but no roof, and very large 20 foot doors. This is where we will pass the night. We set a watch list, which sees Pahni sharing a watch with EB, and he is slightly worried about that. Pahni and Mognar head out at dusk to gather wood. We find a little to replace some that we use.

The night passes uneventfully, and the next day is cool and wet. We passed an unoccupied way station. In the afternoon, we near our destination, and deploy the hawk (Eye of Dogmaron) of the druid to search out the lay of the land. He can see 11 gnolls wandering around, armed with polearms and light cross bows. They are about a mile away.

We come up with a plan, and put it into action. As Pahni attempts to sneak up, he very clumsily makes a ton of noise that is easily heard by the Gnolls nearby. The alarm is set! They all move in the direction of the noise, sniffing and looking around. The closest, guarding the broken down section of wall, can actually see him, and steps out to shoot at him. Fortunately it flies off into the forest.

The rest of the party begins to run in at the alarm, but they have no time to take any action after that, but make it to the northern wall and remain concealed. Pahni nails the one that shot at him and then takes some cover behind a tree. Ilo and her wolf move in close to Phani and hide behind another tree, before the gnolls make their move. As they group up along the west wall, Mognar casts a sleep spell. 2 fall to sleep, and Robespierre casts color spray on a couple close to him. One falls to slumber there. Then he makes way for EB and 3 of the footmen to rush by, and she steps over the sleeping guy to attack their leader. She slashes him wide open and he is grievously wounded! Pahni drills another shot into the same foe but only manages to hit him in the arm. Ilo casts entanglement on a large group to the east of the way station.

The footmen come under attack! The first is hacked down immediately as the polearm slides right through his leather armor and pierces him directly in the heart. Some struggle to escape the entangle ment. Another attacks another footman and he also falls quickly! 2 down in the first round! One of the strugglers breaks free and moves out of range of the spell. Pahni is slammed with an arrow Another footman is hurt but survives. The leader takes an opportunity to swipe at EB but his wounds are too great and he swings wildly to no avail. Another footman takes some revenge, slaying a gnoll, and another hurts a gnoll. Mognar moves in to deliver coup de graces on the sleeping gnolls. Robespierre retreats.

EB directs one footman to kill a sleeping guy before swiping back at the leader, who is able to desperately lunge backwards, but not enough, and he falls to her mighty axe. Pahni slays the gnoll he has been engaged with with a 3rd arrow. Ilo moves in close to Pahni, and Vargo moves in to help support EB. He almost immediately takes a pole arm in his gut, and yelps in pain, while the other, engaged with EB, manages to slide a blade past her armor, and spills a large amount of blood. Another footman falls skewered.

Mognar asks Robespierre to handle the other sleeper before rushing with his men to the aid of those of us on the east side. Robespierre taunts the sleeping gnoll to have at him, before sticking a dart into his jugular. EB engages another gnoll, but has yet to do any damage to him, but does manage to drink a potion of CLW. Pahni fires a shot and misses while Ilo casts a spell of good berry, then hands them to Pahni, before moving for cover and tries to convince Vargo to do as she wishes. Vargo is in a ferocious state of mind and ignores commands and attacks the gnoll, snapping, biting and growling, but there is no damage done. This gnoll does attack one of the footmen, ignoring Vargo, and slays that footman. Another turns to attack EB, stabbing away but she dodges easily. Another footman is flanked and falls. While Pahni is able to dodge a crossbow bolt.

Mognar casts a sleep spell! 3 of them fall instantly asleep. Robespierre uses the pole arm of the fallen gnoll and slices its neck, then he moves away. EB faces off with another gnoll, but her axe is feeling especially heavy in her wounded hands, and no damage is done. Ilo hands Pahni 4 good berries quickly before firing an arrow at the gnoll menacing her wolf companion, but joggles her shot and Pahnis as well! Vargo is still evading attacks as the last footman falls to a violent onslaught from 2 gnolls in unison.

One of the gnolls wakes a companion. Mognar, in frustration, casts sleep once again. 2 of them fall right back to sleep. Robespierre foolishly runs up into a flank position on one of the gnolls, distracting it long enough for EB to spill some of its guts on the ground, as Pahni tries to fire around the tree in his way and misses. Ilo is just as unfortunate and Vargo menaces it from the ground. Bravely, the wolf leaps towards the gnoll, but is impaled on the pole arm of the gnoll and with a final whimper, falls almost dead.

EB is fending off attacks as Mognar slays the gnoll threatening EB and Robespierre, leaving them facing a final living gnoll, who casts color spray again and it falls asleep and all are coup de graced. Mognar runs to Vargo and lays hands on him. With the power of Dogmaron coursing through him, he brings Vargo back form the brink of death. With a wag of his tale and a yip of relief, he bounces up and licks his face before running to his mistress, who hugs him in relief.

Inside the compound we find a chest of 1000GP and 8 GP that were found on them. From the footmen we harvest 80 GP .

SNG 12 1 2018 The uprising in Fairhill

(In game) November 7th

The gnolls have made a makeshift roof.

Mognar and Ilo search for a large rock or two. Mognar wishes to make a permanent marker but they find nothing. “Bah! “ exclaims Mognar :” Is this not the stone heart forest? “ Ilo does not give up heart and finds a very large hunk of petrified wood. Upon it Mognar inscribes

Six brave men
Of the Duke of Westmarch
Lie here eternally vigilant
So that you can rest easy

It is left at the entry to the way station for all future travelers to see.

Pahni is applying himself to collecting wood like a man possessed, for he fears the judgment of EB, and while he wants to keep the 80 gold, he wants even less to be tossed into another hole unprepared.

The hawk sits in a high tree and watches over us as we work.

The gnolls are piled up well away from the way station to avoid stench. We take up residence for the night in the way station. Planning on leaving in the AM. Watches are set, but it seems the gnolls have cleared this section of the stirgewood of any dangers other than themselves.

November 8th, 19 MPH winds, and a brisk 53 degrees F (night low is 36 degrees) as we head out on the road. Before we leave though Mognar gives Vargo another 5 points of healing, and he is rewarded by a lick on the hand. Ilo feels as if he might listen a little better when told to pull back. He might be becoming slightly domesticated. Ilo stays close to him, and pets his coat often trying to reassure him.

After most of a days travels we get back to the same station we stayed at before. So we spend an uneventful night there as Mognar heals Vargo again for 2 more HP

November 9th on a crisp Autumn day Vargo gets another point of healing as we head into Fairhill. WE immediately hunt out the sheriff. His 2 men are nearby, watching the area, and sort of guarding him. The town militia is going about regular business, but they seem more on guard. Business in the market square is pretty brisk, and piles of wood shows they have been busy while we have been away. He is speaking to Arlen the magistrate. Erlindar trots over on his horse. We inform him his men fell bravely, and that we gave them a fitting pyre and a plaque in their honor. He speaks of repairs to the way station, and speaks disparagingly of the local shrine. He promises to pay in the spring when he returns. Robespierre asks if he does not return where can we go to get paid? Pahni challenges his claims to rule Fairhill, and he gets very defensive, speaking as he may crack down on the town and bring more men in the spring to crack down on us and is very threatening in his tone. Then he turns and makes as if to ride away, when Pahni leaps at his back and leaping through the air, stabs at the back of his neck. Unfortunately, the sheriffs armor turns his blade!

Baran(Captain of the watch) grasps the hilt of his blade, wondering where Arlen is. Two men of the watch (Halbor and Jerinor) are nearby, who have adventured with the earliest group and helped them take out orcs, and another 2 we do not recognize. The square erupts in motion as most move out of the way to avoid conflict.

Pahni slides off the back of his horse, and Erlindar shouts “What indolence is this?” as Pahni scrambles to his feet prepared to dodge. Robespierre rides towards Arlen and is watching his worried and upset face closely. Ilo tells Vargo to heel as she crosses her arms. Arlen makes no movement as he is totally flabbergasted. EB feels the same and stands in amazement.

The sheriff spins on his horse and uses it to his advantage. The horse rears up and attacks with his hooves, and one lands on his head. It bites as well, then Erlindar swings his sword and clomps his head, knocking him flat to the ground, unconscious, and not moving. Erlindar clomps away from him as Mognar calls out “You know you still owe us some gold, sir.” He has moved away about 25 feet, when he does a pirouette, and shouts “Kill them all!”

Mognar steps up and dragging Pahni behind EB, tries to negotiate, apologizing. Baran shouts “What have you all done,” and pulls his sword, walking close to Ilo, and faces Erlindar. “Not this day Sir Erlindar, we will not bend to your will any longer! You will face the men of Fairhill if you wish to kill these people!”

Robespierre looks to Arlen for a sign, but he looks unsure, and says “this is more trouble than I was ready for,” then pulls out his rod of ruler ship (A mace) and slaps it into the palm of his hand. “I knew this day would come, I just didn’t think it would be so soon.” So Robespierre dismounts, as Ilo tells Vargo to heel and renders first aid on Pahni, stabilizing him.

Arlen says “Damn it, just couldn’t leave well enough alone, if you are going to take someone on, take on me.” Erlindar curses him for a fool, then charges him, attacking him with his lance, but he passes right on by with no effect. Erlindar’s 2 footmen follow his lead and atack Areln as well, but Arlen fends them off easily, then Mognar puts them to sleep, then steps behind EB.

Baran swings around to face the sheriff, and prepares for an attack. Robespierre assesses Baran and Arlen compared to Erlindar, and sees that Baran, although missing a hand, might be a match for the scoundrel. Baran has ordered his men to ready weapons. So Robespierre readies color spray.

Ilo, thinking her way through the situation, sees no other choice than to fight the Sheriff. First though, she creates 7 good berries.

EB, seeing a person in peril, shoots an arrow at Erlindars horse, missing badly.

Having just wheeled his horse, and seeking a flank, charges at Ilo. The small target is too much for him to reach and his lance passes by her head safely, then Mognar puts his horse to sleep, and it collapses under his weight. Showing his skills, he avoids any true damage but falls prone. Baran begins to taunt him “Your men now your horse too?” He walks towards the bounder.

Robespierre moves closer to Baran, as Ilo stuffs all a couple of good berries into Pahni’s mouth, who begins to respond to the ministrations. Arlen, with a cry of “I have had just enough, no more, Erlindar” charges the prone figure of the knight, and smashes his mace into it. Erlindar is hurt but obviously not grevioulsy injured, then EB runs in to his flank as Erlindar stands to face his attackers. Drawing and engaging the two of them at the same time, he obviously has a thing for Arlen.

Mognar stays neutral, having done no real harm, picks up the weapons of the sleeping footmen. Baran, looking surprised, whistles and commands the town militia to his side, and advances on the battle. His men, having bows, fan into a circle, and looks ready to render aid, but holds any real action. Robespierre also stays non committal as Ilo crams 5 more good berries into Pahnis mouth, and Arlen and EB, flanking Erlindar, trade hits and strokes of ax and swords, no one breaching the others defenses.

Mognar is still staying away from offensive action, but warns Robespierre that he might want to help him tie up the footmen, and they begin to do so. Baran and his men continue to watch as Pahni, coming groggily to, immediately comes to his knees and fires a shaky shot at the sheriff, missing completely. The tying of footmen continues as Ilo follows Pahnis suit and fires at Erlindar. That arrow just bounces of his armor.

As Areln and EB have at the man, suddenly Arlen connects a blow of his mace, knocking the knight out of the way of a deadly blow from EB. Erlindar says “Don’t you know what you are doing? The duke will never stand for this!” Then swinging wildly, he crashes through EB’s armor then Arlen calls for his surrender. Pahni has nothing for that as he fires almost blindly, missing again. Ilo misses as well. More clashing of swords and axes as Erlindar shouts his derision at us, for being ungrateful scum. Mognar runs up and lays healing hands on EB, allowing Dogmaron to have his say about the battle. Baran is offering terms of surrender. Pahni is still aghast at the idea of letting him live, but his close call with death has obviously ruined his aim, and Ilos as well!

Arlen slams his sword into Erlindars gut, and EB clips his arm with her Ax, and Erlindar begins to make a fighting withdrawal, talking terms. Baran offers terms again, but an arrow whizzes past his head, shot from Pahni and lands in his shoulder. Erindar curses him for a liar, grabbing the arrow, and his footmen begin to revive. They are told to stay down and live, they go along with it, as Ilo lands a killing blow with her arrow. We begin to discuss healing him so he can face trial. Arlen begins to move to him to finish him off, but stops himself. “Bind him up and put him in the dungeon, along with his men” he orders, and walks off. Walking past Pahni, he looks at him and says “ I hope you know what you have done.”

Pahni replies “But he was a scoundrel, and over reaching bounder who took advantage fo your town and gave nothing in return!” but there is no reply.

It is decided there will be a meeting in the morning, and a decision will be made about what is to be done. Baran says “Arlen, you knew this was just a matter of time, you can’t blame this man, Erlindar was a thorn in our side, operating outside of his jurisdiction. If the duke comes, we should stand against him if he will not see reason.”

Arlen is really concerned. He could die. He could lose his position. The town may be suppressed, taxed heavily, garrisoned, things could be bad. Loriel eventually arrives. She argues Erlindar must die. The duke can not find out. If the town does not obfuscate, terrible tidings will fall on them. She calls for his death, to hide his body, and not tell the Duke a thing.

Robespierre suggests the Sheriff died fighting the gnolls with his 6 men at the way station, and Mognar says his two footmen of course are really farmers with new land grants to the north who would never tell tales to the Duke.

Pahni offers to slit his throat, and Arlen is disappointed in Loriel. Baran agrees with her though. There is concern of being found out. Baran thinks Shandrel can seek the advice of Freya for this. EB says to Loriel, there are other ways than killing to solve this. She agrees, says she is not a murderer, she wants it to end and wants a way out. EB says an eye for an eye leaves the world blind, have mercy, send him on his way, and just refuse future extortion. EB says this is how civilized people act? Just kill? I need to have a drink and think of this. Her words sting and Arlen disarms Loriel, and says Erlindar and his men should be kept safe. She lays down arms and walks off. She is disgraced, fallen from command that was resolved and secure. There are many conflicting emotions around the village. Where was Loriel? Why did she show up so late?

End session

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Great summary Scitzz!

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Re: Saturday C&C - Stoneheart Valley

Post by Scitzz »

Josh SNG 12 8 2018 Session 12 The Sad Triangle.

Still November 9 in game.

There will be a meeting tomorrow to decide the fate of everyone after the upheaval. Some want Ehrlindar to be killed, since he might return to the Duke and bring back an army. Others say let him go and let the dice fall where they may. Some are stuck in the middle and more have differing ideas.

Davin Stoneman, a Ranger/Druid has arrived in Fairhill, as a follower of Freya. He is accompanied by a wolf. He finds the burned down shrine of Freya. Piles of lumber are nearby, as if it is about to be rebuilt. Eventually, he makes his way to the market square.

Mognar asks him if he be for or against the revolution, but he says he is for Freya, so Pahni tries to convince him to join, as the Sheriff is against rebuilding the shrine.

Mognar pulls Shandril aside to have a little talk. She seems lost in thought, standing near the burned down shrine of Freya. She looks at the remains of the shrine, then to the trees, then to the sky and a falcon that flies there. Davin reveals himself to her as a devotee of Freya and promises to help rebuild the shrine when we return. She is glad, for others with the ability to work wood will be consumed with rebuilding the way point. She asks what has brought him here? He says he is on a pilgrimage, to the shrine, not knowing of ts construction. She says she knew of his coming, from a dream. He will help her bring balance back to the village. That was her dream. She warns of many dangers in the wild. Then she wishes us safety on our journey to find the manticore (that no one believes really exists) and save those that have gone missing.

So, we need to spend some time for Robespierre to study and EB to train, and it makes sense for Davin to work on rebuilding the shrine, as Pahni slowly and carefully scouts the surrounding area of fairhill. He moves slowly, taking his time. He wants to learn the area and he searches for berries and herbs that might help delay or neutralize poison.

We discover that Ilo is tied to the earth and serves the balance and the earth, raised as a country girl and slightly barbaric. No real deity does she worship.

Shandril has lost her winter wolf cloak in the fire, and if we fight one fairly on our travels and bring its well preserved body back, sprinkled with holy water, blessed to Freya, she can sacrifice it and skin it for another cloak. She can make several.

<Training will take until November 30th. >

EB will be having her armor worked on by Voril the blacksmith.

Pahni is joined by Ilo in his foraging in the stirgewood forest. The first few forays are uneventful until Ilo finds some berries. At night Pahni stirs dissension against the duke. He makes sure no orcs return to the keep, and no dangerous creatures get close to the city.

One day, he finds a well hidden cave opening he hasn’t seen before from a distance, making note of it, studying it. Wondering if he should investigate further. Slowly, he feels as if he is being watched, when Herl, a half elf ranger with a beard, is standing with a hilt on his hatchet, his other hand stroking his beard. He has been watching me. He tells me of the cave, it is a special place. We need to leave the cave be. Ilo “We aren’t looking for no trouble.” The “She” in the cave wants to be left alone, and he will make sure of it. Her name is Gethrame.

He takes care of the town in the shadows, stopping monsters and threats, as well as taking care of Gethrame. He leaves food at her cave but he can not see her, for he believes she hates him. He hears moans from time to time. He fears for her, he says she is not dangerous, but Shandril thinks she is, for she is cursed for a small crime. He says Gethrame was smitten with Eralion, and so was Shandril. Gethrame was cursed because she was skilled in the art of scrying, and spied on Shandril, who did not like that, and blinded Gethrame, who now lives alone. He has looked over her for 90 years for she will not die. He has not seen her, but his animal friends tell him she is there. Sometimes she leaves and makes tracks but does not go far.

Suddenly we hear a faint moaning in the distance. He says this is not good, there is something wrong. I have seen tracks, like those of rats, but unsure they are related. Ilo agrees to go, but we discuss getting our friends. Herl warns of the winter wolves. There is no help for us if we run into them. They are very large, from the north, raised by the frost giant Yarlls. Let go for sport perhaps. He says Pahni reminds him of someone. When we return, he will seek us out. We leave peaceably as he slips into the forest, disappearing gently into the growth.

We make our way back to Fairhill that evening. EB has finished her training, as has Robespierre. EB looks so much stronger, and healthier, and Robespierre has learned a new spell, silent image. Mognar and Davin have finished repairing the shrine. Shandril is very grateful, for it even has a door. Mognar carved three symbols, one stag, one winter wolf, one falcon on stone. The falcon appears so lifelike.

Erlindar is still in the dungeon but his 2 men have been released and living with Fendrin, promising to help him with the farm come spring. They are grateful their lives were spared, but saddened by the death of their companions. They never like Erlindar and will stay in Fairhill, even if their lives are forfeit. They know nothing of the duke.

Mognar consults with the druids, and tries to create a new spell, coming from the know direction, and calls it Orient Map. This is going to take a while. It will cost time and money for research, supplies, study and preparation.

November 30th. Winter is here.

Today is a clear day, 26 F -4 C and the night is 14F -10C with a light 3MPH wind. The sky is crisp and blue. Ilo and Pahni arrive, and relate what they learned from Hurl.

Looks like it is going to be a hard winter, they say winter wolves have been seen between the two winters,

Robespierre has found a human male with 2 HP s who swears he is the bastard of local nobility who will not reveal his real name, but calls himself Toombs. He has a spear, but is needed only to carry a torch. 0 level, no possessions. He looks to be 16 or so.

Another one as well. Human male with 4 HP. Used to be a mercenary, and owns a dagger. Goes by the name of Noz.

Robespierre hires Toombs for 15GP a month, but dismisses Noz. Pahni decides to hire him for 10GP a month and food. He needs more equipment. He got kicked out of the army for sleeping in. Noz speaks poorly of Toombs, that he is a coward. So Robespierre plants a suggestion into his mind that he will not run. Does it take? No one knows.

Robespierre visits Shandril to try to find out info. He takes her Eralions journal. And brings up Gethrame to get her side of the story. She looks away, and begins to speak. Gethrame was a problem she had to deal with. She doesn’t think Gethrame is dangerous. She asks for the journal of Eralion. She says she cursed her for spying on her, but won’t tell much of a tale. She says she wasn’t jealous. Said she warned her, and was challenged, so at the advice of Freya, blinded her. Is unhappy with what she did. Can not lift the curse, confused as why she still lives. Freya also commanded her to cut all ties, and she has. She cautions us that she may be dangerous. She was into sorcery. Shandril seems to like Robespierre. We take our leave with her thanks for the journal.

We travel north, beyond the keep, to see the witch. (For surely she is the witch of the rumors.)

Pahni and Ilo see the cave, but no sign of Herl. No noises are to be heard.

Set into a hillside, the cave is behind bushes and brambles. The others are not able to see it at first, to Davins dismay, for easily he can spot it as well. So Robespierre casts light into the mouth of the cave. Moaning comes forth. A voice says “Come, I can sense the light, come inside.” “What is it you want? Are you afraid fo a blind woman” “Yes madam “ says Robespierre, “ The people of the town call you a witch” then he mentions Herl inadvertently. She invites us in. Some are scared to enter. They speak of her living their nearly a hundred years. “Do you need assistance” says EB, and she says yes. EB enters with Pahni behind. It is a nice cave, largeish. With a curtain separating another section. “This is cozy” says EB, and it is, and what must be Gethrame is there. Quite old, she must have been a beauty in her day. Her milky eyes look at us as if she can see us. She seeks help getting her things back. She is kindly. Robespierre enters and casts detect illusion, but finds none. She admits she lives from Herls charity. She says she told him never to come see her. She fears he doesn't want to see her. She loves him.

Vile creatures, ratlings, have taken her staff. Robespierre hides his staff as she speaks. But EB snatches it and hands it to her, but it is not hers. She recognizes it as Eralions. “Let go of my ear” cries Robespierre as she questions him. She blames Shandril for his fall.

When asked about her moaning, she admits she has been afraid and cries out. That is her moans. She misses her staff of scrying. She says she is no longer interested in Shandril. She asks us to find her staff. She knows they lie under a tree. She doesn’t know what tree it is. EB swears to bring it back. The ratlings are a coven and powerful. They live under a twisted tree, that is ow we will know it, but the tree itself is a danger. With deep and evil roots. It was at one time, a sapling of a tree ent, warped and twisted by the dark goddess of the ratlings.

She offers the contents of her chest for payment, Hidden in furs are gems. She says she has no need for it, just get her staff. We extract a promise not to scry on us or Shandril. We even leave the gems for now. But maybe she can help us scry on the others we need to help. She says yes, she could and will try. Mognar inspects the gems.

Worthless pebbles he cries! He puts them in his pocket.

She says the manticores come from the foothills. We decide to go for the staff. We make our way outside. It has become cloudy and warmed up a little. It is about mid afternoon. Then Herl suddenly appears, first to Pahni. Pahni tells him she loves him well, and knows of him. He tries to drag Herl to her but he resists. He agrees to help us find the twisted tree. If anyone gets near there the ratlings avoid attack. Pahni says if we get the staff back, she wants him to return it. He says we will need help. He says he will help and we accept.

He tells us ratlings walk on two legs, like small humans, like rat men, unnatural seeming. He usually hides when he sees them. He indicates it is southeast of us, at least a half days travel. It will be nightfall before we can arrive. Since he knows they are nocturnal we decide to wait until daylight to travel. So we travel a short way and camp for the night.

End Session

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

12 15 2018 Josh SNG Session 13 Glaathaa’a doom

We head out for the tree. Herl and Pahni scouting, with Mognars Hawk in flight overhead, helping to keep watch.

The sky begins to darken as we travel, looks like rain but none falls as we travel southeast through what is known as the Stirgewood, past Erallions keep. The light of the sun barely gets through the trees. The shadows on the trees and the darkness seems quite normal.

In the distance, we see a tree in a clearing. This is odd, for the tree has bark that is almost black, and looks like no other tree in this forest. Gnarled, with only a few sickly green color, with purple veins. The bark seems to be rotting and falling off in pieces, and an accompanying smell of rotting wood and fungus. There is a hole in the trunk large enough for a man to walk through. It looks just like Guthrame described. We think it may go lead to under the Earth. It is directly on the south side of the tree. The tree almost looks to have a face, but only in the way a cloud can seem to appear as different forms.

Hurl signals the main group, then returns to them, and waits for Pahni to arrive. “There it is,” Herl says “it is definitely twisted.” “Should we backtrack and camp again or make use of the daylight that is left?” He relays he has never fought these ratlings before, and although he doesn’t wish to now, he will for the staff. Robespierre wonders if they are shape changers but he does not think they are. They do go armed with blades and bows. Robespierre thinks we should maybe lay traps, and not go into the tree. We discuss possibilities.

Herl is first to go in. “By Freya, he really does go into the earth! It leads down!” Suddenly a big branch swings at him from the tree. Almost as if the tree has agency. So engrossed is he that he has no time to react. It knocks him flat down, then he tumbles back with a loud groan. “That thing is alive! It looked dead” he cries with embarrassment. Robespierre addresses the tree, and it shudders, dropping bark. “Treant” he says and suddenly it shakes heavily, rotting bark flying off the tree, then it stands still again. “Can we do anything to help you” asks Robespierre, but it has no reply. We know it has been corrupted by the ratlings god.

Pahni and Herl search for tracks but find nothing. EB picks up some of the bark and we debate going back to Shandril to see if she can do any healing on it. It is very punky, leaving black marks on her hands as it becomes almost powder like. Pahni threatens it with fire but the rest of the group is not happy with that idea. Herl warns us of Owl bears in the wood, but Robespierre mocks him for this, although Pahni defends him. We part ways with Herl, him walking off holding his hurt shoulder. “I am getting too old for this” he says, disappearing into the forest. We hear a tapping sound from the tree as bark falls, and a couple spots look suddenly moist. We head back for the keep. The dead lay around the keep, rotting and smelling badly. We go for the room only Erallions amulet will open and hole up for the night. Turns out to be a good idea for we pass the night uneventfully.

November 1st

Next day the sky is clear and blue with a slight wind, and it is 25 degrees. Back to Fairhill we go. WE pass Fendrins farm, the released footmen working hard to help him for the winter. He banters with us, Robespierre tells of how we killed a bunch of owl bears, Fendril laughs, “Owl bears, right? Comes back Robespierre.

Speaking with Shandrill, she says we will never rid the woods of ratlings, they are in league with hell. They are working “with her” and have the power of death on their side. Robespierre warns they now have Guthrame’s staff. She says her 8 holy waters may enable us to pass if we make a circle around the tree of the water. She also pulls out a sword, named Valkria, a sacred blade. It may be of use. She hands it to Pahni. The sword has a handle made of horn. A scabbard made of leather and covered in winter wolf fur. It belonged to a Valkrye, and the holder may hold communion with Freya. She has no need of it, and it feels right to give it to him. She hands it over scabbard and all. “Draw the blade and hold it over your head, and you will be blessed.” So he does. Gripping the handle, it feels like it fits his hand perfectly. He feels an intense feeling come over him, there is a flash in his mind of a woman wearing glimmering chain mail, a winged helm, a shield, and an empty scabbard. She says in his mind” It really grabs you doesn’t it?” It feels like it might not be best for combat. The workmanship is exquisite, as the length of the blade is etched in runes, and an ethereal quality comes from it. It seems to glow almost with a light, maybe it is his eyes playing tricks on him? Almost as if it has a brilliance to it.

Shandrill gives a knowing nod and says “I thought as much.”

The holy water comes from druids and she tells us how to reach them, and we make note on our map. It is to the foothills to the north of the keep. Called the Grove of the Moon. They worship the moon goddess, who they call Narrah, the lady of the moon, who is also worshiped by star gazers and were creatures, but she is not evil, nor harmful. Those that beseech do sometimes harm others, but she has nothing to do with that. Pahni thanks her for the sword, but she says it was not her decision, will not name who. Says just to respect the sword.

She also mentions Loreile used to have the sword but it was taken from her, and she has been acting strangely, so we search for her. No sign of her or Arlen in the market square. Beren is there and slowly approaches us. Beren says Lorielle is angry with him for siding with Arlen, but also she seems out of control, and may hold anger in her heart. He fears for her safety, for she has been going off in the woods on her own. She doesn’t seem to enjoy any ones company. He says Owl Bears are a fairy tale. More scoffing is done although Pahni demands Herl must be right. He thinks she is jealous. Then noticing Pahnis sword, he says he wouldn’t let her see it, that she thinks it is hers. She hoped Shandrill would take her on, and looked up to Freya. She felt she could do justice, righting wrongs, with that sword.

As the day wears on, there are some clouds in the sky, but nothing too bad for travel. We decide to see if Vargo can track Lorielle from the smell of her on the sword scabbard. He takes one whiff, and excitedly leads us in a direction, off into the woods, with the eye of Dogmarion flying over head, so we follow. We follow for a couple hours into the woods. Soon after, though, Vargo seems to lose the scent, and Pahni, trying to find tracks, goes in circles tracking himself. It is kind of embarrassing (rolled a natural 1) We try for a while longer but we just can’t pick up the trail, so back to the keep we go, and back into the tomb we go. Another uneventful night passes with our watch, and we awake on:

December 2nd. Light wind (8 MPH) in clear blue skies and 15 degrees F We make our way back to the blighted tree.

We think it may be colder. Pahni draws his sword, but the glow and the brilliance is gone. As if being in the presence of Shandrill gave it a gleam. He swings the sword, and he begins to be impatient, as a strong desire to go down the hole and do something about what is going on here. It is even stronger when the sword points at the tree. As if the sword wants something done and is impatient to do it. It doesn’t feel wrong, and hard to tell if it is the sword or his own mind. It isn’t an anger though. Just a strong feeling.

Damelon approaches the tree staying just out of reach, splashing holy water on the ground with a prayer to Thyrr, but the water smokes and steams as it touches the ground, then splashing the tree, the bark burns and falls off, as if touched by acid, and the tree begins to shake. “Have you Druids ever seen anything like this?” Ilo calls it a “Vast distortion of nature, anything we can do should be done!”

Mognar tries with the sacred water form the grove of the moon. He sets it in a circle around the tree, using up all 8 vials.

“Cmon people, we need to go, we need to do this thing!” cries Pahni impatiently.

Not smoking, the water turns greenish as a lichen like growth starts to form, as little bits of weeds and small stalks grow up. The tree shrinks back in apprehension, but doesn’t shake, and EB dashes into the hole. She sees a dark low hanging area made of earth, with stairs carved out of the roots of the tree, and it is very dark. Immediately on her tail, Pahni cries “Come Noz, she isn’t going down there without me!”

We all dash in behind her, leaving the Hawk outside in case of monkey bears. Down the stairs, we see the roots of the tree hanging from an earthen ceiling, only 5 feet tall. They seem to be like pillars, but don’t touch the ground, and are almost a foot across. We would have to walk deeper into the lair to see more, due to the low height. There is a strong smell of earth, and Ebs strong nose smells rats. It seems otherworldly. Damelon whispers he can hear a noise. Vargo appears very apprehensive and gives a low growl. There is something there the growl says, and maybe it is one of the roots is moving and twisting, like rope being pulled tight, creaking. EB crouches down and moves forward. She sees the tunnel further down, and another root, although this one goes into the earth below, 3 feet across. Then she something she hasn’t seen before. An anthropomorphic rat with a bow, and an arrow nocked, ready and waiting. Neither are we surprised. Toombs lights his lantern and Noz a torch, while Damelon moves close to EB at her signal. Then he casts shield of faith on her. So she runs up to the ratling, and sees she is in a nest! She sees several more roots and pillars some big enough to be cover and 3 other ratlings, looking like they may be laying down. Another bow wielder is also seen.

Mognar waves Noz and Toombs to move to the side, then steps up into cover, then throws his hammer into the darkness for some reason, hitting the wall with a thump. “That was a warning lad, there will be no other” he says. The first bow wielder drops said bow and swings on EB while the other proves deft with an arrow, but not deft enough to hit Mognar. There is a chittering and screeching raucous being set up by the ratlings. Robespierre directs Toombs to set the lantern down and hide in a corner until called for, and he does. Then Robespierre moves up a little. Pahni runs right up, sees a guy with a bow, and takes some cover. AS Mognar moves forward he sees another nest, and warns us of it. Damelon advances 30 feet, keeping behind cover, getting close to EB as she cleaves the ratling with her axe, and it falls at her feet. That was kind of easy she thinks. Then she advances towards the next foe, and Mognar prepares a sleep spell. Ratlings begin to come out of nests and arm themselves with bows. “You shall sleep the sleep of the wicked, foul creatures” Mognar cries as he casts sleep on all four of them to the west. Three more from the North arm themselves and move in, as Robespierre takes cover. Pahni cries out, sword in hand, “By Freya, I will end you!” and runs up to one of the ratlings. EB stumbles for a moment, feeling faint at this uncommon bravery. Ilo moves behind Mognar, then takes a shot at a ratling behind cover, but it steps behind it and the arrow flies right by.

From the south, something comes out of a nest, a ratling with no armor and carrying a stick and screeches its skittering words, and a root next to Mognar tries to grapple him. It wraps around him and holds him tight. He shouts out there is a witch. At the same time, another ratling drops his bow and slices at EB with his sword, swinging wildly but bounces off her armor. Pahni does not do so well, and takes a swipe to the side, and is cut by the ratling in front of him. Robespierre moves in to help Mognar. Pahni is trying to repay the ratling for the cut, and although it is +1(for now) he can not connect. Ilo shows her usual proficiency with her bow, and misses another shot before making a short move. Peeking at Pahniin concern, Damelon doesn’t see too much to be worried about and then makes an attack that does nothing. EB cuts another ratling in half with her axe. Mognar has no effect in the fight for now, still being held. The spell caster to the south chitters away but nothing seems to be happening.

Pahni manages to dance around the vicious attacks coming at him before Damelon takes some damage, but Robespierre notices one looking at him and drooling. He ignores the attention and avoiding the roots, moves towards the witch and lobs a dart at it. He trips and it lands at its feet. Pahni dispatches his ratling before running to help the squishy spell casters to his south. Ilo runs in as well and EB carves another ratling.

AS Robespierre tries to move, it becomes clear the chittering did something after all, and he realizes he can not move at all (hold person) and another ratling witch appears. An icy feeling seems to over come Ilo as he too is held. Pahni runs hard at one of the witches. Not believing her eyes, EB runs right behind Pahni, and Damelon moves to help, just as Mognar continues to struggle. EB sees a chest in the distance. The 2 spellcasters have at EB but she handles it easily. If only Valkyria did as well, for Pahni flails away doing nothing. Ilo still struggles against being held, and Damelon swings at the root to try to free Mognar, and it lets go of Mognar! Mognar is shook up, and red in the face, but otherwise undamaged. EB is unable to kill the spell caster in front of her, but it is grievously injured. Mognar puts the injured spell caster to sleep as the other tries to club EB to death. At the same time, a noise emerges from the cave with the chest. A strange looking creature emerges with a staff, and it has an eye on the top of it. Like a Rat-ling with horns. Mognar shouts “Is this girl an owl bear?” as she stands behind a pillar for cover. Pahni with a shout “Cmon Valkyria” slashes a nice sized gash into the spell caster in front of him, and aided by Damelon who slams it as well. EB s shield of faith falls, as she finishes off the spell caster still awake, then moves I on the scary guy. Mognar finishes a sleeping ratling.

Big bad casts a spell at EB. It lands a poisonous touch, and the spoiled blood of the earth goes into her skin and begins racing towards her heart. Her body feels the force of her will, and her purity of heart, and it begins to reject the effects! Smiling, she stares this ratling in the eyes and readies her ax. It begins to chitter, but then the sounds take the forms of words, “can’t take the staff from me, they stole it, its mine now. My staff, you took her eyes to make this staff, it was our ancestors eyes, and we want it back.”

“Valkyri-dont” screams Pahni, rushing in and tripping as he reaches the big bad, doing nothing, before Damelon rushes in and lands a blow. “I wonder if there is something useful in that treasure chest” says EB to Pahni before rending big bad wide open with her ax, leaving it reeling. Mognar has finished off the last of the ratlings that slept, and Glaathaa (Big Bad) utters a curse against Pahni, but somehow, maybe the intervention of Freya? She can not touch him and the spell goes to waste. Robespierre kills the sleeping witch. Freya does not help Pahni enough to damage her anymore, and flanking her, Damelon does nothing as well, but EB cleaves her in half, as easily as the other ratlings. Clutching her staff in her ratlike hands, she gasps out her last breath. EB calls in Robespierre to grab the staff, refusing to touch it.

Mognar charges in rapidly to do...nothing. Nothing at all. Everything around is dead. 2 Shamans, Glaathaa, 8 regular ratlings. All dead. We find 47 SP on the regs, the shamans have 8 GP, and Glaathaa, 20 GP and the Guthrames staff. Her dying words were a curse for the eye on the staff were her ancestors, a crime was committed to make the staff, perhaps unknown to Guthrame.

In the nests, there are 25GP and 51SP and witches nest had 10GP and 158 SP. Glaathaa nest holds a small locked chest. Pahni checks it for traps, and opens it safely. Pahni tries to block the others sight, but they gather round and watch closely, finding a topaz, three vials, a wand and 2 potions, one light blue, the other has snowflakes inside.

End session

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

SNG 12 22 18

As we are gathering treasure, Damelon is called away for some mysterious reason known only to him, and up he goes, out of the trunk.

EB is standing guard as we are looting Glaathas nest when 2 more ratlings appear, then a 3rd. She can also hear the sounds of more approaching, and the 3 in sight are preparing shots with a bow. EB takes the closest one by surprise, although they are taking no measures to be quiet. In true EB fashion, the ratling flies through the air already dead from the blow. Mognar cries “For Dogmaron” and bounces a hammer off one, although Ilo slays one quickly. The third gets an arrow to the knee from Pahni, and it fires right back, missing, before taking cover with 3 more of its arriving friends.

Mognar casts sleep on them and down they go. Ilo is investigating slowly approaching a sleeping one to dispatch it, but sees something to the North! 2 more shamans chittering, and the column by her comes alive, sprouting roots that entangle her, but Vargo deftly avoids one near him. Pahni runs towards EB “Do you know what is going on?” but she can’t see anything yet either. “To the North, by the other nest, “ Ilo shouts.

EB runs towards one of the Shamans, but it is hiding behind one of the columns, and it commands it to entangle EB, which it does. Then it wakes one of the ones that has been sleeping. Vargo is still tangling with the root, and finally succumbs.

Mognar runs up to help EB, and Ilo struggles to attack, as Pahni moves forward and fires at a shaman, but it has good cover. EB has as much lck as the others while entangled, ie none. The freshly woke ratling runs to wake up one of his brothers, but it runs right into Mognars hammer, head first, and falls dead, catching the attention of one of the shamans, who casts hold person on Mognar. Dogmaron seems to intervene and the spell has no effect! Mognar then hammers at the roots holding EB, landing a hammer blow but it doesn’t have much effect. Ilo struggles with the roots holding her, as does Vargo, but neither can get away. Once again Pahni can not shoot through cover, and Robespierre casts color spray at the shamans.

Suddenly, they go all hippy. “Groovey, man, what a cool show.” They seem completely undistracted, though. In a fit of pique, EB destroys the root holding her. Robespierre is first entangled by a root, then caught in a hold spell by the one shaman. The other runs for the stairs to save itself. Mognar dispatches a sleeping ratling, but Ilo can not free herself, neither can Vargo. Dodging roots to get a clear shot Pahni can not manage to land a shot, but he has a way to cut off the last shaman from running.

EB calls for the surrender of the other Shaman. “We have you surrounded.” “Not without the staff, it is ours, give us the staff and we will leave. Otherwise, I will kill you all,” So EB moves close enough to attack, but is caught in another set of roots.

(Noz and Toombs have been entangled) Pahni can’t penetrate the cover either, and EB attacks the root holding her. Pahni hollers at Ilo to stop struggling and start hacking at the root like EB is doing. The last shaman runs off and up the stairs, cursing us and our families, looking at Pahni specifically.

The shamans will escape, since Pahni can see no clear path to pursue, and they can spread the word. The roots eventually let go without direction, and we clear the rest of the rat warrens. The nests are all empty. We decide to try to save the tree. We also find more treasure.

9 gp
24 sp
16 gp
11 sp
6 gp
20 sp
34 sp

Mognar lays hands on Pahni and behold! All his past hurts are healed! Mognar relays this is the judgment of Dogmaron on his moral behavior. In his heart, Pahni feels good for having done something to help someone else.

Toombs feels like he needs a new weapon. Robespierre tells him if you hold a weapon, people shoot at you, and you have to use the weapon. Toombs relents.

The trip back on Dec 2nd is a snow storm! 2 inches of snow fall in the first hour. Pahni is taking the lead as we make our way to the keep, and there is 7 inches of snow on the ground. We spend the night and awake on

December 3rd. We know hunting season for the winter wolves begins when storms like this hit. This days is warmer, and the snow slowly melts away in 38F weather as we make our way to Fairhill. The people there think they saw Robespierre just an hour ago. Spotted going to see Phendrin. He tells the towns person the code word is Cheesewiz, if you see me and I don’t know that, come find other members of my party right away, and hands over a silver, promising more. So we head to Phendrins. His two helpers are with him sitting around the table. They have also had a recent talk with Robespierre, about his doings with Lorielle. How he hated his party members. He gives them the code word as well. Doppleganger told them to talk Beren into retiring. Also suggested Lorielle should take over. They want to turn in so we seek out Beren in the dark. We warn him of sedition. Beren wants to keep him in strict observation. We will stay in the aristocrats house under guard. Keep Robespierre carefully under our eyes. So we identify items and train ourselves for a while.

Starting with Guthrames staff. Magical staff of lesser wizard eye.

If you are blind, holding it allows you to see through its eyes.

Wand of paralyzing. Casts a cone of paralysis. 12 charges remain. Can not be recharged.

Potion of CLW and one of flying.

As we train we catch glimpses of Lorielle, and rumor says she should be getting her job back, since she has shown remorse for losing control of her emotions. This please Beren.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Josh SNG 12/29/2018

We stay in Fairhill for 2 weeks to train, which gains us extra skills, and some of us even more hearty.

Robespierre puts up signs all over the town. 15 gold reward for information leading to a manticore.

Dec 17th Today's moon phase is waxing gibbous 69% illuminated. We try to travel to the druid grove. We now the general area, but we must search. Robespierre pays Toombs his 15GP of a months work, so Pahni pays the 10GP to Noz he promised. Robespierre also sends Toombs for supplies. Pahni doubles the 10 GP to 20GP this month(for supplies) and he gets a leather coif a leather coat and a small wooden shied taking his AC to 12 (+2) and he gets a dirk. He uses his last 3 gold to buy himself 6 darts. Both workers are very happy. Noz puts his old hat on top of the coif though.

Robespierre buys a mule and a couple weeks of feed. Plus a cart.

Departing, we follow the river. We travel until evening time, and Pahni tries to find us a good spot. He does pretty decent job, in an area in the trees with a nice sized boulder and downed trees nearby. Plenty of loose wood and other fire starting materials abound. Looking for Ilo, Suddenly Robespierre realizes she isn’t with us, neither is Damelon for that matter, nor Davin. Such a small party to wander into the world. We camp overnight with no encounters, and awake for breakfast on an overcast day.

Dec 18th.

We can see the foothills in the distance. We know somewhere in this area is the grove of the moon, but where are they really? EB sniffs the air. The Eye of Dogmaron(Hawk) flies overhead and looks for any signs. We have passed no farms or settlements. He spots an area looking a little different, a thorny briar of bushes that almost seems to form a ring. The trees are shaped oddly, like they are trying to stretch together and form a canopy, that can not be seen through the trees. Very large and scary looking wargs seem to be skulking around the area. They are not entering, but they surround it, at least 3 of them. Not regular wolves, they have darker fur and are larger. Unsure of their alliances, we approach cautiously in case they are on the sides of the druids.

Pahni notices a large boulder and climbs on top to look around, and sees nothing. Suddenly, 2 wargs approach his boulder and try to climb it! They are very protective. Mognar puts one of them to sleep though. EB makes her way to the boulder, and looks ready to climb up. Pahni is worried they may be protecting the druids, so he trues to hit it with the flat of his blade. Ducking under his swipe, the warg jumps up on the boulder and tries to knock him down. Scrambling for purchase and wrestling it, Pahni manages to stay in place. Robespierre casts color spray and a few are blinded. EB takes the flat of her axe to one, and knocks it a good one. It gives out a loud yelp as she tells it to sit.

Mognar puts another warg to sleep. Robespierre blinds another with color spray.

Pahni puts away his sword and offers a beef jerky, but the warg only pushes him off the boulder. He falls off and lands prone.

The one close to EB snaps blindly at her. No harm is done though. Another sniffs near Robespierre, then EB calls to the druids to call off the hounds before swiping at the one near her. It is knocked flat out, and may die. Suddenly a loud shouting comes from the north, and Mognar casts CLW on the urt warg.

“Enough” is a cry as a figure comes from a tree. “Enough, leave them be”

An elvish woman in black robes appears magically from a tree, and she holds a spear in her hand, made of wood. With intense eyes, she stares at us “What do you want?”

We tell her of foul ratlings poisoning a tree, and that we wish it to be returned to health.

At her insistence to lower arms, we drop them.

She reveals it was once a walking tree. It fell under a dark spell, where it took dark root. She has tried to speak to it, but it enjoys its existence, its decay and corruption. She questions our motives. She says the ratlings only used what they found, and didn’t turn the tree. She protects the ratlings. They are victims. To be protected from burning out. We can only pretend to know nothing. The wargs awaken and begin to form a circle around her, licking her hand. She fears a nearby owl bear. She warns of winter wolves and their love of sport. The owl bear has been immune to help from her calming powers. Our lives may be in danger around it, and we should heed her warnings, for fear of death. Other black cloaked figures begin to appear from the woods around us. We feel there are many of them around. The wargs back away running off.

And that is where my notes disappeared last night. The Druids can not help us with the tree.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

SNG 1 5 2019 Reunited and it feels so good. The raid on stirge hill

After leaving the Druids grove, who have told us the tree doesn’t require healing, Pahni insists that they get the staff to Herl before going to Guthrame. He wants badly to see the two (re)united. Poor romantic soul.

Once entering the Stirge wood we have to dismount to make our way in. Suddenly we are approached by Herl, and he is surprised we found the staff. We are trying to convince him to take the staff himself and finally he agrees. He snatches the staff from Robespiere. And promises to return it to her and bids us farewell, saying he will take time to prepare. We will have none of that. We talk him into the cave, and escort him all the way. He enters the cave and we feel our job is done. The lovers, reunited.

Leaving there we head next for Crimormere, thinking of making the waystation before nightfall, which we do. No one is there. So we spend an uneventful night

December 19th dawns with an overcast sky. We take a fork in the road and arrive in the evening in Crimor. It is a city slightly smaller than Fairhill. It is a small fishing village basically.

We find a tavern called the merchants wagon, a single story building that extends quite a ways to the back. Lights are on inside, no militia or watch in sight and no passerby's. All in all a dismal building.

Catty corner is another tavern, the blessed nets, and many noises emanate from it. Nearby a merchants hall, docks with small boats tied off, a wheel wight shop,

The sun is beginning to set on the deserted streets. So we enter the Blessed Net. It is a dilapidated watering hole. A half dozen people that smell like fishermen are inside. A balding man with large ears and sideburns wears an apron and washes a mug with a dirty rag. Nets and fish trophies decorate the walls. They appear to be Very large largemouth bass, but are purple. The tavern keeper greets us while conversation stops, and warns they have no fish, as they have all stopped biting. There have been no Crim(local purple fish) in quite a while. Robespierre inquires of lodging, and finds only a common room. The merchants wagon has rooms. Many grumble when we say we can stay in a common room, but the charismatic Robespierre offers to buy a round and says we love to hear local stories. The bartender says he is glad we arrived before sundown, as it could have meant our lives! The stirges attack every night. Merchants don’t come around any more. His business is close to failing. The tavern is amazed to hear Robespierre say the only way to kill them is to get them in their lair, and we will find them. Robespierre calls it the Plague of Crimor.

It is said there is a dragon sized Stirge commanding them all. Pahni asks if ayone has seen it.
Lindriarog lives in a tent on the side of town, who sells trinkets as a widow making her own way through life. Bartender doesn’t believe her.

Mognar shows his scar and proclaims he has faced stirges before.

We decide to pay and are charged 4 silvers each, then Robespierre gives him 4 GP and tells him this is a seed for future prosperity. That it is the beginning, and the town will be even better than before. We are getting a place to eat, sleep and stable our horses.

Robespierre decides to go to the tent quickly and see if we can get this widow to come back to the inn and join us. The tent has a small path leading to it and smoke comes from inside. Robespierre polishes a gold piece and asks her to come to the inn with us. She refuses but invites us in, and promises the stirges can’t bother us in there. She doesn’t want to go to the inn. She invites us all in for tea. Inside are many figurines carved from fish bones. She offers them for a silver. EB buys one for a gold. Shaped like a cat. Ilo gets one like a tree.

Something smacks into the tent, she says a stirge. She says they can not come in because of her charms inside. She dismisses rumors of dragon sized ones, but thinks someone commands them to attack. After they started the fish disappeared.

She marks on our map where they fly to and from. It is a large hill. There is a rumor, she says, of a large hill that had a hole blown in the side of it a year or so ago, and maybe these came here from there. She invites us for the night since it is too dangerous outside. We promise to leave at dawn for the hill. She can not believe we will try that! She warns there will be many up there. Then she fills us in on local flavor. The wheelwright is the only one who sees business from merchants. Her husband drowned on the lake, she had to sell her house. The people treat her OK.

The tea invigorates and brings deja vu feelings of nostalgia, as if we have been here before.

As we sleep, the cats occasionally climb over us, waking us fitfully, but otherwise it is uneventful. She offers us each a charm. Pahni is strangely drawn to a Swan made of crystal, and gives her a gold.Robespierre takes a toad, Mognar a shield, Ilo a wooden tree pendant. We give her gold for them.

We start into town and look for fish oil, for Pahni thinks we may set them on fire. We each grab 5 pints of oil then head out with the sun,singing the dirge of the stirge. We approach the forested hill. We have some difficulty finding the entrance the stirge use. So we deploy the eye of Dogmaron. Pahni is also looking for droppings and any other signs. So is Vargo. The hawk sees nothing, However, the smell of the nest is so powerful, Vargo catches the scent, his ears perk up, and he lumbers with a purpose towards it. We all follow quickly after.

We come to a hill and Vargo is very intent on a spot. It looks to be a cave entrance. It isn’t easy to see at first, but we notice the spot he focuses on, and we close in on it. It is a large entrance, well hidden by trees and bushes. Maybe about 20 feet in diameter. Mognar sends in the eye of Dogmaron to scout. Right away, 4 stirges emerge. Mognar recalls his hawk, and it tells him they are coming!

As they come through the opening of the cave Robespierre casts color spray on them, and they are knocked out. They spiral out of the air to the ground. We dispatch them carefully and quietly. Mognar leaves his hawk outside as rear guard then creeps inside with Pahni on his tail. Rob casts daylight with his staff. Noz feels very brave and comes right behind Pahni. We enter the cavern and hug the wall travelling to the south. Mognar casts sleep at 8 stirge that suddenly come flying at us. 5 immediately fall out of the air, allowing the other 3 to attack EB, Robespierre, and Mognar. Rob gets bit and starts spewing blood. He starts screaming for help but Mognar covers his mouth. Meanwhile, Pahni moves in and with unusual luck, kills the stirge trying to drain Robs blood. Mognar flails away ineffectually, as does Ilo. EB slices one deftly from the air with her Axe. Rob waves his staff in the air in the general direction of the last stirge, smacking Pahni in the arm making him miss as well. Pahni stumbles into Ilo and spoils her aim. Mognar takes a fully defensive stance allowing EB to dispatch it. We quietly wring the necks of the sleepers.

We continue our explorations until we run into another half dozen, but Mognar sleeps 3 right away. The other three swoop in and one latches onto Mognar. Pahni tries to help to no avail. Ilo is scared to shoot at that one and takes a shot at another by Rob, and does some good damage to it. Mognar attacks the one attached to him, but its flapping wings knocks his efforts away. EB can not hit one and Rob evades another attack. Pahni encourages Noz to make an attack on Mognars stirge, showing him how with a minor swipe, but Noz is inexperienced and rams his Dirk into Mognar instead. Io sinks an arrow into it, but it continues to suck Mognars blood. Fortunately Pahni is able to slay that stirge but one has attached to Robespierre now! Mognar is unable to Rob in spite of Pahni’s encouragement. EB finishes it off though. There is only one left flying around and Pahni swats it a good one before EB finishes it off. Mognar heals Rob

So we explore some more before 6 more fly at us, but Mognar takes them all out of the air with sleep again, He can only do this once more. We wring their necks on the floor. Moving further 4 more attack and are color sprayed by Robespierre. To build his confidence, we have Noz strangle them. Then we explore more.

Finally, we are attacked by ten and one attaches to Pahni but he dispatches it. Ilo casts Paralyze from her new wand. 3 fall from the sky. Mognar casts sleep towards Pahni and EB, hoping only the stirge will sleep. EB charges the last to kill it. Then she stomps the rest into the dirt.

At this point we decide we should head back to town.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Re: Saturday C&C - The Tomb of Abysthor

Post by Scitzz »

Death to the Doppleganger

We head off from the cave on a clear crisp day and travel to the way station where we stay the night. Then the next day it is even warmer. We are carrying the stirges we found in cages with us, thinking they me have suffered the same fate as Robespierre. We arrive at Fairhill unmolested, and seek out Shandrill.

It is December 24th

Shandri is in the grove area with the newly built shrine to Freya, and Damelon is there. Mognar explains to her what has happened and begs her blessing for the newly made stirges. Mognar sleeps them and then we tie them gently outside the cages. Her attempt to dispel fails! She must try again tomorrow she says, so we thank her.
Damelon builds a small fire and has some spices ready. He seeks to ask Tyr for aid in dispelling the magic, but it isn’t very likely and Tyr does not intercede.

Turns out Baran has fallen ill and Lorielle has taken over as Captain of the watch. Damelon offers to help him but she insists he wants to be left alone as he recuperates. Pahni does not believe it,a nd searches out the residence, and finds a guard at the front door. It is a 2 story building with a small window at loft height on the second floor. There is a chimney on the side of the house.

Casing the joint, Pahni sees Lorielle walk up and dismiss the guard and then walk in. He has some Goodberries given to him by Ilo. The Eye of Dugmaron flies overhead for aerial lookout.

Pahni tries to lasso the chimney but fails his first attempt then his second, but the third time is a charm, and he begins to climb up the house, and gets to the roof silently. Working his way to the window, then peers in, the widow is grimy. Two figures in a bedroom, one in bed, and another across from it, taking a seat at a small desk. He hears an almost cheerful female voice. He notices a small hinge on the window. He tries to open it but it slightly squeaks, and he stops. The voice stops. He stays very still and the voice continues. He knows a squeaky wheel needs oil and he oils the hinge. Working the oil into the hinge for a minute he lifts the window quietly. He hears a man moaning in pain and a fevered voice. “No I must get up” And Loriell, and e “No, stay there you fool until I finish.” “You best stop your rambling”

Baran asks who she is, ut she says that matters not, then she turns into something else, changing form into something hideous and alien. Suddenly she is figure with scars for a mouth. Pahni rubs his eyes for the change is so sudden and drastic. Baran moans out “Gods be damned, what are you” as she walks towards him and smothers him, blinking its eyes then looks towards Pahni. There is a wind blowing through the crack and it starts to walk over. She shuts the window, and the window is firmly latched. Pahni has flinched back and she doesn’t see him.

So, Pahni Rappels to the window and kicks it out, bow and arrow in hand!

With a loud crash he sees Lorielle and feverish Baran. She looks up suddenly with a look in her eye of sheer hatred. He draws and pulls his arrow. She is not that surprised though and runs to the window, sword in hand and stabs at him, grazing him. His retort is an arrow to her shoulder. Baran feebly raises his head but it falls feebly as Lorielle tries to pull Pahni into the building. He kicks away from the building though and as he swings back in he takes a wild shot with his bow, and it is obvious she worries Pahni will get away. Mognar, trying to find a nonviolent solution, not knowing of her change, runs to the front door.

Pahni doffs his bow, and pulls Valkyria, which causes a flash in his mind and the same armored women says well, what are you waiting for? So he swings but she dodges back! She looks at the sword and the ferocity in her eyes is renewed and she stabs viciously at him! He almost drops his sword from the pain. Mognar charges into the room and says milady there is a misunderstanding but she smacks him in the face with the back of her hand. Mognar is trying to calm the situation but Pahni takes her head off, and as Mognar screams “What have you done” the lovely Lorielle is gone, and the legendary doppleganger is revealed. Baran begins to cough up blood and Mognar does some healing to him. Baran is thankful, for he knows she would have killed him. It meant to take his position but to what end he does not know. Now we must discover the fate of Lorielle. He warns of the drink on the table, she has been poisoning him. She enjoyed the terror in his eyes as she told him of his evil plan. Mognar wants to know if she was working alone but he doesn’t know. His first concern is the village.

Eventually Arlen is notified and convinced. The evidence is overwhelming and the town is on high alert. Paranoia runs rampant as town guards wonder if others are who they say they are. Arlen hopes Shandrill can reveal imposters, and calls for her.

Mognar and the goodberries heals Pahni all up for….

December 25th A windy and cold day. Townsfolk are sullen. Militia are very watchful. We head for the temple and Shandrill. Pahni asks of the woman he is seeing. She says to consider himself lucky for her to be speaking to him, and he should listen when she speaks.

Then she tries to dispel the magic again. “Robespierre, are you in there Robespierre?”

He is not.
We decide to spend a few weeks training and looking for Lorielle. Robispierre is changed back but the other two in cages were just stirges.

Vargo accompanies us. Damelon, EB, Mognar, and Pahni look for her. The snow is melted to 6 inches.

On the second day, Vargo picks up the scent and leads us to the speared remains of Lorielle. Her skeleton is well preserved. Her hands are on the spear as if she died trying to break free. We take her remains to the town. The people in the village gasp and stare in shock. The town watch brings Baran who exudes a tear or two and he prays for Shandril to help. He is obviously overcome with emotion and thanks us for bringing her home.

However, Shandrill has a scroll she unravels, written in runic script. It may be able to bring back the dead. Baran says of course. Shandrill nods very well, but this can only be done once. With a flourish and chanting, she tires but the scroll ignites into flames and the spell does not work. Baran is angered.

The party helps Shandrill build a pyre and she is honored. Noz and Toombs are overwhelmed with emotion.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

I missed a few sessions on my grand adventure into deep caverns.

2 16 2019 Attercop!

Cleaning up in the temple of Thyr. The party sets out. It is a chilly morning, the moon is still in the clear sky, and even a couple stars still twinkle. The lake in the distance looks as a brownish green smear and the Minotaur knows it is tainted. It used to be a crystal clear lake, and the fens were no where near as thick. One probably would not want to jump in the water and the frogs in the fens are known to be dangerous. Larger than any frog should ever be, with an almost malicious intelligence.

In the distance Alistar sees two Romanesque buildings. Coming out of one is a group of people. They do not notice him. Suddenly a long something lashes at him, and croaking sounds begin to surround him. He tries to dash for the buildings and the people there. Unfortunately for him, he is suddenly surrounded and they lash at him with monstrously long tongues. They are large and gruesome looking, almost as if they are diseased, and the size of wild pigs. He dances lithely past the tongues.

Suddenly, the party notices a robed figure standing out of the reeds, making wild motions as cord like appendages snap out at it. It is a large figure moving very deftly. EB watches as Lannete covers his head with a hood and suddenly disappears. The rest of the party moves closer to see the fight of monsters, and as we watch, one tongue lands on the robed figure and grapples at him. Although he struggles, the tongue hangs on tenaciously and the others move in, baring rows of sharp, nasty teeth.

Mognar casts sleep on a few frogs as Sister Fidelma detects the frogs are evil and the robed figure is lawful. EB Steps up to Sister and crosses her arm, and watches the show, noting he is not asking for help. The eye of Dogmaron warns Mognar something comes from behind us, and warns the rest of the party. Ilo directs her bear to attack, then plops an arrow into a frog.

Three human like forms approach from the back side of the shrine. As Mognar looks closely through the eyes of the hawk, he notes razor like claws instead of fingernails, they look as if they are rotting, and their eyes look dead, their skin wet and slimy.

Io calls out that there is a frog problem and asks what he is doing there, but he begs we extricate ourselves first.

Meanwhile, Damelon approaches the 3 approaching from behind us, and implores his god to turn them away and they begin to turn!

Mognar begins to run into the fens, but is slowed. EB runs to help him as Pahni sinks an arrow into a frog. The bear breaks free from a tongue that had entangled him, then Ilo puts another arrow into another frog.

Mognar hammers one of the ghoulish appearing creatures, and all of them run back into the temple of Muir.

Pahni focuses on the frog, sinking yet another arrow and Damelon moves in to aid. Pahni finishes it off as others come in. Damelon whacks a sleeping frog and it dies. Another tries to get a tongue around Alistar. The one engaged with the bear hops away and is gashed, but makes it to the water, and the last moves into the water.

Cut scene as Mognar, Sister Fidelma and Damelon go skipping through the fens, and chase down the ghouls.

The rest of us follow suit, and we have them up against the wall of the temple. Fidelma slams one with her sword as EB smashes another straight down. The one attacked by Mognar retaliates, but Mognar is well protected by his god. Ilo sends in the bear, who sinks teeth into a ghoul, and gore comes flying out. Pahni feels Valkyria begging to be used against this evil, and slides her right into the last ghoul, and its undead “life” departs.

We face the new stranger. He explains he has come down form the mountain and has noticed the fouled lake. He gives his name as Alistar, and many of us gasp as his hood removed reveals the head of a bull with horns. We make friends with him and then travel for a forest that holds (we hope) a tomb.

We make the forest and the woods appear fairly thick.

A few notice very large green spiders, well camouflaged, coming from the treetops. Sister Fidelma screams “Attercop, Attercop!”

Pahni, surprised, is attached by a web and lifted up towards a spider, who clicks mandibles in anticipation, as Sister Fidelma shouts “Get back down here!”

Ilo, Alistar,

dodge webs but Fidelma and Damelon are lifted off the ground as well. Same time Alistar whips one.

Pahni has managed to keep an arm free, and uses it to draw his sword as he is pulled close to the spider, and swacks it across the face drawing a minimum of ichor.

Damelon has both arms bound, and gnashes fitfully at the air around him, raging against the dying of the light. EB Runs up and fires an arrow into the spider hauling Pahni up, as Mognar casts shield of faith on himself.

Sister Fidelma is likewise pinned close and is kicking against her fate. Alistar has darn near killed a spider though, as Ilo assesses the situation and casts entangle on 3 of the spiders, including the 2 that are holding our helpless party members. In spite of this, the third one shoots a strand at Ilo, dragging her up to it, both arms pinned to her side. Fidelma and Damelon are being bitten at. Sister Fidelma s bitten and poisoned. Damelon armor fends off the attack on him. Ilo is bitten and poisoned.

Alistar is missed but Pahni is bitten and poisoned. He chops part way through the web. Damelon bites ineffectually at the web. EB puts another arrow into the spider holding Pahni. Mognar lights a torch

Fidelma resists the poison as Alistar whips the spider holding her.

Noz dodges a web! Pahni is bit and the spider moves away. Fidelma is dragged off and bitten. She is unconscious. Damelon is dragged back but his armor fights off the bite again. Same thing for Ilo, dragged away and bitten. The bear grows in desperation. Pahni deals a massive blow to the spider dragging him, and it is barely alive. Damelon fails to break free, and EB, beckons Noz out of range, but misses a shot to free Pahni, and Noz uses Pahnis bow but misses.

Mognar directs Alistar to throw him into the trees. He gladly complies. The dwarf goes flying into the trees. As he approaches the tree branches, he douses the spider holding Fidelma in oil and drops the torch on it. It takes fire damage. As the fire burns, so does the web and she falls into Mognars arms. The bear continues to shake the tree to no avail. The fired up spider flees!

Damelons spider manages to bite through his armor now. Alistar is caught up in a web, and Pahnis armor deflects a bite, but his spider moves back. Noz tries to help him, but misses again. Ilo is bitten yet again. But it is stuck in the entanglement. Pahni misses a swing with his sword.

Damelon is able to fight off the poison and tries to break free, but fails.

EB pivots to help Pahni and takes a shot, killing the spider holding Pahni. Pahni is still stuck to the spider but has not fallen to the ground.

Mognar heals up Fidelma and she skitters with him to try to help Damelon. She has to move very slowly though.

Alistar with his arm free, had almost killed the spider earlier with his whip, and punches it to death, still stuck to it though. Ilo still is not freed by the bear. Damelons armor continues to protect him, but the spider gets stuck and can not move farther. Ilo’s spider fails to break free from the entanglement as well. Pahni sheathes his sword, pulls out a rope and ties off to the branch the dead spider holding him is on. He pulls this off, and EB kills the spider holding Ilo.

Mognar and Fidelma make their way to Damelon, the sister gets there first, and attacks the spider, but she is terrible at those kinds of things.

Alistar is still attached to the dead spider with one arm free. He frees himself from the web and begins to climb down. Damelons spider breaks free from the entangle and drags Damelon 20 feet away! Bravely, in a show of clerical solidarity, drops her shield and hangs onto the spider, and is dragged along as well. Pahni cuts the web holding him and lowers himself to the ground. EB tries to take a shot at Damelons spider in spite of desperate odds.

Using a grappling hook and rope, Mognar swings free of the area. Fidelma stabs at the spider, missing and it keeps dragging away, biting at Damelon along the way.

Pahni rushes to the group looking for info, and Damelon is bitten again. EB tries to climb to help Ilo. She gets stuck in the entanglement. Mognar calls out “Follow me, to freedom!” and he heads in the direction he thinks is right, while commanding eye of Dogmaron to keep them in sight. Sister heals up Damelon a little bit, and Alistar stays still. Damelon is bitten again. Pahni catches up with Mognar. EB breaks free of the entanglement for now.

The chase continues, when FINALLY Damelon breaks free! Fidelma swings at the spider valiantly and uselessly. Alistar lumbers up to just under the spider, and starts to climb the tree. The spider begins to move away, fleeing the circus. As it flees, Fidelma and Mognar almost takes it down and Damelon finishes it with a lone dagger thrown through the trees.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Josh SNG 2 23 2019 Death comes a knocking.

Ilo jumps on his bear and takes a wander off into the woods. He doesn’t really mention where he is going, we figure he will be back.

Sister Fidelma does some healing to Pahni and herself, but it seems her god is not quite happy, and Mognar heals Pahni up some more. We make our way to the halls, where there are two white marble, or at least used to be white, pillars that have been blackened by fire, chipped away at, and the tops broken off. Evil looking symbols have been scratched into them. We decide to backtrack a little and Pahni finds us a good spot to camp for the night just off the path. We are able to rest the night without any encounters.

Approaching the columns again, we notice a rune that Sister Fidelma finds to be magical. It looks fairly recent and unweathered. It looks the same as those seen in the temples that exploded.

EB tosses a rock at it, nothing happens. Damelon, with prayers to Thyr, splashes it with holy water. The water hits the stone and rolls off. Suddenly! He is engulfed in a ball of fire! He manages to live through this, and Thyr at east answers his prayers for healing, and soon, only a few scuffs of ash hold to his armor.

Then, 4 skeletal warriors attack. Sister Fidelma feels further removed from Muir than he has ever felt before, and is unable to turn them, but Mognars faith is strong, and they turn and try to flee. EB slashes one. Another is attacked by Damelon, so they stay to defend themselves. With a flurry of blows Damelon disengages and Alistar the Rose rushes in with a whip and destroys one. Pahni helps surround the last one with EB, who makes short work of it.

In the next room, it is small, and has 2 small, desecrated (former) basins. Filth and foul symbols of evil cover the walls with shreds of tapestries that used to be Muir and Thyr. EB and Alistar search ahead. A way down sounds of bubbling come to the ears of EB. THere is a large open room. In the room is a fountain, what may have been a holy water fountain, one that might be seen in a great city. This one is bubbling and churning with blood and bones. Once possibly white marble, now stained red and black. The floor around it is spattered and a pall of evil hangs over it. There is a glowing symbol on the back wall Then skeletons begin to form and rise from the fountain. They rush in to attack us and the pall of evil seems to make them harder to hit, and stronger over all. Even so, Pahni destroys one with a Godentag. Another glances a blow off his armor. Alistar destroys another with his fabulous whip skills. Lanette shouts “Way to go Alistar, you get them my friend!”

Another crumbles to EBs axe, and finally, Sister Fidelma slides behind the last and harms the thing, but it seems stronger than the others. It takes a blow from Mognars hammer and another 4 come from the fountain. The sister turns them right away. Pahni runs to the glowing sigil and bounces his Godentag off it. 4 more appear and we fight our way to the staircase to the west. 2 are turned and 2 dispatched quickly. Lanette has found the room is empty except for a sarcophagus, and no exit. We break for the staircase to the north, and Alistar is grievously injured, but Mognar lays healing hands on him. The skeletons follow us. We make a tactical withdrawal down the staircase to get in good fighting position. 2 Skeletons come up the stairs behind us. Lanette makes a back stab on one threatening Alistar. It retaliates and damn near kills him. Using his cestus, Alistar destroys it. Lanette retreats.

EB gets hit! Minor though. The sister takes dire damage as well. AListar kills one as Lanette whimpers in the darkness. “Fairhill wasn’t such a bad place, I should have taken my chances there, we are all gonna die.”

Sister Fidelma goes down as Pahni destroys one. Mognar rushes to Fidelmas aid taking a scratch along the way. It takes a couple of CLW to get her up. Pahni takes some hits, and things are looking dire. Eb is trying to get him a potion. Then Alistar falls! Sister Fidelma takes another lethal blow! Mognar has been protecting her as well as he can. Noz has found the healing potion and the holy water as Pahni falls, and EB stands over him. Noz gets him healed up. Alistar is completely destroyed as the skeleton spears him in the head. Noz misses with Holy water and goes down for his trouble, then is stabbed again while down.He is almost dead.

No one can barely hit these skeletons!

But finally, using the skeleton being distracted trying to end Nozs life light to his advantage, nails it from the higher round and from behind killing it. Unfortunately, Noz bleeds out. Sister casts divine favor from a scroll. Bless and Bane had been cast earlier.

Fidelma and EB team up to take one out! EB moves to help Pahni who has been in full defense.

OK, so this is going round after round after round of constantly missing. I do mean a couple hours of swinging and missing. The skeletons have been unusually lucky and the party amazingly unlucky in their attacks. It becomes a slow battle of attrition as the party picks them off one by one. The last one turns out to be the strongest of the bunch (Max HP.) He even lands a heavy blow on EB! Finally Mognar kills it. We are fairly certain we need to run for our lives, and leave this place. Pahni is given some healing before we go, thankfully. He is very upset at the loss of his hireling.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

SNG 3 2 2019

The group dashes from the room we were in, and immediately run into Ratsila. Pahni had wanted to do some looting and burn the corpses but there is no time. Then we return to the camp we had used before. Nothing seems to follow us. Mognar protects Lannette through the night. He says since the skeleton stabbed him he feels so cold.

The next morning dawns on March 15th. We make our way back to Fairhill. There is a constant moaning of wind blowing through the mountains. Paranoia lurks on us, but we make it to another good camping spot. We make camp for the night, when something comes across us on the 3rd watch, with EB and Damelon standing watch.

From the dark, Damelon first heres something, then sees a dark shape fly across the night sky, then sees it as it floats in and lands. Black bat like wings extended outward, its tail out, the Manticore is diving as if towards EB. It has taken her by surprise! From the air, about 50 feet above her, it whips two spikes from its tail into EB, but at the last moment she manages to fling herself out of their path and is only scratched. Damelon screams “TO ARMS TO ARMS” then casts light onto his mace, and suddenly a silvery, even holy looking light begins to emanate from it. It wheels and turns in the air and swoops back to fire at both Damelon and EB. They miss and EB replies with an arrow into its underside that causes it to roar. Everyone is now awake.

Ratsila awakes to the sound of a roaring dragon, and sees it flying around in the air above him. He decides to toss his Bolas at his front legs. They are bound together!

Sister Fidelma jogs up with her sword, while Lanette helps Mognar armor up. Pahni bounces up and puts his leather armor on. Meanwhile, Damelon has managed to grab the attention of this foul creature, and 6 spikes are thrown from its tail at him. 5 spikes pierce him and he is severely injured. EB steps in front of him to absorb any more attacks, but misses her shot with her bow at it. Ratsila then uses another set of Bolas to tie up the rear legs.Fidelma runs over to Damelon and gives him some healing and holds up her shield. Damelon then heals himself. Mognar runs to him, now in armor, and puts up a shield as well, while Pahni misses a shot at it with his bow.

It is getting to be in bad shape, but it whips some spikes at EB, but is so shaken they all miss. They come close enough to disturb her aim for a return shot. Another set of bolas wrap themselves around the neck of the beast. It is obviously frightened at this point. Mognar does more healing to Damelon. Pahni fires a worthless arrow as it wheels in the air, and flies off into the dark. Mognar returns to his tent and says “Lets get this armor off, Lanette, I must to sleep!”

March 16th dawns clear and cold with a light wind, and clear skies. We travel out of the mountains. We are out in the open and Pahni is unable to find a decent camping site, and sleep for the uneventful night.

March 17th, in the 9th hour of the day, we happen on something. North of the stirgewood, south of the mountain, we are waylayed by bandits. From a distance, Pahni sees something like 6 figures. Before he can do a thing, they begin to fire on him. 3 arrows sink into him but none hit vitals. The others can only see that he is taking fire, since he is about 100ft ahead of the party. Daemlon runs right up to his position. Ratsila and Lanette have been taken by surprise and stare in amazement. Mognar drops a sleep spell in the general direction he thinks most of the arrows are coming from. 2 of them fall asleep. Pahni runs a few feet to take cover behind a large stump and nails a brigand to the east with an arrow. EB and Damelon evade arrows as another sinks into Pahni. Damelon charges one to the west and hammers him. Lanette runs for his life. Ratsila finishes off the one Pahni had hit with his arrow, by an uppercut that shatters his skull.

Pahni, hurt badly, rattles a poor shot at one to the southeast as EB charges the one Damelon has hit. Fidelma joins Pahni under cover at the stump. One of the bandits slaps another awake, and then shoots Ratsila in the arm. Another pulls a sword and begins to move off into the woods, while another misses a shot at Damelon, and moves off. Lanette takes cover beyond him. Ratsila charges the leader Bloody Svenson, killing him. No one will ever know his story.

Mognar rushes in to the one next to Svenson screaming none may live. EB chases the one by Damelon, then Pahni charges another with Valkryia “Freya damn you” and kills him. The last waking bandit drops his weapon and begs for his life. Mognar says his only choice is to help us fight evil. We wake the other and offer him the same. They want to bury their friend. But, Fidelma casts detect evil, and they glow brightly. They look like they have been beaten a lot.Mognar offers a ritual that one seems to accept. We eventually decide we must march them bound in front of us. We find a potion on Bloody Svenson and some treasure. Even the regulars have some treasure.10 sp 24 cp 1 gp 5 sp 2 gems worth 100 gp. A potion We march the survivors to Fairhill. Baran greets us. He recognizes the boys we have marched here. He says they will hang. They begin to protest. Fidelma promises to check their alignment in the morning. Mognar is willing to take their conversion, but Bran has the watch grab them and manacle them. One is smacked in the jaw with the hilt of a sword for resisting.

Three weeks pass. April 7th is coming as players level.

Pahni searches for and finds the herbs etc needed for delaying and neutralizing poisons.