View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
What gaming stuff are you reading? 
Ulthal

Post Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?
DC Universe. It was West End Games' foray into supers, using the D6 Legend system (a variant of their D6 system that counts successes, instead of adding totals, using pools of six-sided dice). Short-lived, and very polarizing, it is nonetheless interesting, with some high quality supplements.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:08 pm
Ulthal

Traveller Hero - I don't play Hero System games (no real reason), but this is the only iteration of Traveller that I don't really have. So, I bought the CD-Rom.

Squadron UK - an updated/revised version of Golden Heroes. Written both to avoid Games Workshop's copyright, but also to implement changes that author Simon Burley says he would have made anyway. I have been playng Golden Heroes with my nephews for a year or so now. I always felt kind of bad for Burley, because the game he will always be remembered for is one he can't get paid for (although he has been teasing that that's perhaps going to change). He also insists that SqUK is the better game, being written with decades more design experience under his belt.

My first impression is favorable, but somewhat mixed. There is a skill system added (a plus), and many options to incorporate intentional design elements into the still-mostly-random character generation (another plus). Golden Heroes' signature four-panel combat rounds are gone (which I do not like), but combats have become faster and less predictable.

The original Golden Heroes is, in my experience, a game that on paper does not give a true sense of how it plays. That is to say only in playing it do you gain an appreciation for just how clever and well-balanced it is. SqUK may be the same, so I will reserve final judgement until I have played it. But on first reading, it retains enough of the original's flavor, while adding new innovations, that I am eager to try it out.

Squadron UK is available for purchase at drivethrurpg. There is a book of adventures called Legacy (an updating of EVERY GH module/magazine adventure) in the works.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm
Lore Drake

Adventurers Backpack, of course!

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:05 am
Ulthal

Prime Directive from Task Force Games. It seems that most people judged it on how good of a Star Trek game it was, rather than on how good of a game it was in general. Which is a shame, because the core system is solid.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:29 am
Cleric of Zagyg

I've been reading the 5e PH in preparation for an upcoming online game to be run by Rigon.

So far, I like what I'm seeing, but the game will be the real test of how well things work.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:57 pm
Lore Drake

Art & Arcana, Basic Fantasy RPG (core rulebook and others), Moldvay Basic Rulebook, Marsh/Cook Expert Rulebook, some gaming material I have edited/am editing for ThrowiGames.

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:32 pm
Mogrl

Career Compendium for Warhammer FRP 2nd edition.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:55 pm
Ulthal

Recon, 1st edition. Recently got a hold of the core rules, referee's screen, and 2 modules. Interesting game.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 pm
Skobbit

At the moment I'm working my way through Danger International with a view to using it to run a game of Fringeworthy. I could use the original Tri Tac system, but it's a bit of a mess to sort through and find the relevant information, so I thought I'd go for something that's rather more coherent and also has lots of expansion options.

Reading a third edition Hero System game now is interesting: it's compact and clearly explained. Since DI doesn't have the powers system from Champions included it's also quite simple, with a very straightforward and flexible resolution mechanic. Such a shame that anything Hero is regarded with horror for its supposed impenetrable complexity these days, when it's actually considerably simpler than Pathfinder.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:20 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Well I finished devouring The Hobbit - see the 'what are you reading post - so I decided to break open all the Bundle of Holding copies of 5e Adventures in Middle-Earth I bought back in December, and dig into them more than the quick glance I have given them before.

Very nice. I love the feel of it, I think it fits the feel of the books nicely. It does well at modifying it to D&D based games , and it isn't as odd as 'The One Ring' . Love all the different cultures, classes, backgrounds, vultures, and especially the corruption. Out of al the modifications I like that best (cultures are a close second)

However, as I read it I thin "boy this would be easy to modify into C&C" . I think that should take care of some of the modifications that are there to dial back the 5.e rules and assumptions. Things like You don't the benefit of a 'full rest' - return of all HP, return of all spells, etc - when you rest during travel. Things like that.

So, I would love to play 5e Adventures in Middle-Earth - if the DM loves ME that is, and would love to work on a house rule modifying Adventures in ME into C&C incase I ever can run it (when I get good internet, have a job that doesn't burn so much time, and life becomes huggy bears and rain bows ...

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:58 am
Battle Stag

If I had the ample amount of time it would take, I would convert ME5E into C&C. There is a really good Middle-Earth game buried not-to-deep in the Cubicle 7 ME books.

I. Just. Need. More. Time.

~O

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:20 am
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Omote wrote:
If I had the ample amount of time it would take, I would convert ME5E into C&C. There is a really good Middle-Earth game buried not-to-deep in the Cubicle 7 ME books.

I. Just. Need. More. Time.

~O

Rgr that !

If I didn't have to waste time working and such I could make some good conversions and my dream home brew world ... stupid real life ! ;)

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:42 am
Clang lives!

I've been pouring over D&D 3.5 stuff for my upcoming summer gaming vacation and 5e for my current game. I am still converting 4e material, so I am looking at that stuff also. A lot of irons in the fire right now.

R-

My Game Threads

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67