Monday Night Ne'er-do-wells Sci Fi

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Monday Night Ne'er-do-wells Sci Fi

Post by Lurker »

Ok like I mentioned , if Tree does run the fantasy mega dungeon game, and unless someone else wants to take over my spot when we finish Masque of the Red Death, I'll run a sci fi game

It is not anything I expect to happen in the near future – heck we started Red Death in September 2019 and are only now at 3 rd ish level with things starting to get interesting, So yes we have plenty of time left in 1880's fight against the Red Death

However, regardless of what ever we chose, I'll need to do A LOT of work on rules setting adventures etc, so we can start the discussion on ideas on what everyone prefers now so I can start slowly working through the work with plenty of time to get it done correctly and not be rushed thrown together.

With that the options are:

Star Wars – d6 rules – limited house rule for force user characters, and a more 'Rogue 1' grittier feel

Star Wars – House ruled Victorious rules for Star Wars – again more Rogue 1 grit

Traveler (which ever rules Tree uses ) with house ruled character creation and skill advancement

Star Trek – Modiphius rules – house ruled for field grade/NCO rank lower deck level of play instead of command of a star ship with 800 + crew – this will be a system with the biggest learning curve for you all as players and me as the GM

Home Brew setting – based off Rift's Manhunter setting (mix of Predator, Terminator, Blade runner,, and other influences, but set in the future with faster than light travel, different stellar empires on the verge of war, and areas of lawless [or Firefly like western style law space] and throwing in some Star Trek and real earth history influences to round it out – using house ruled Amazing Adventures

Cyperpunk – House ruled from Interlock [or Cybepunk Red if you prefer] – it has been YEARS since I played or ran that so it will be rusty !

Any other ideas you would prefer

I have all the base rules for any of the above I mentioned, so I can get you copies of what ever we chose to use. However, outside of Star Wars and Star Trek, most of the setting specific stuff will be house ruled so it will be a bit before I can have that worked up for everyone.

I'll let tree know and put any comments in here for him.

Other than that, everyone discus and debate freely here so we all get to play something we all will enjoy playing (and don't worry, if I mentioned it above, it is something I would be interested in and enjoy running)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Monday Night Ne'er-do-wells Sci Fi

Post by Lurker »

pre tree

I would be fine playing any of the above. The Star Trek idea being slightly above the rest.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

Which edition of D6 Star Wars would you use?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I have both the 1 & 2 e version, but I'd use the unofficial REUP update of the rules

I got it from the d6 Star Wars forum 4ish or 5ish years ago.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I think I would be down for some Star Wars D6.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

If we do Star Wars D6

Here's the link for the newest updated rules compilation

https://rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/ ... dition.pdf

I'd have to look through them but I don't think there is much in it I would house rule, except for making a force user character

Here is one that has printer friendly and B&W versions

http://waveyourgeekflag.blogspot.com/20 ... dated.html

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

1. Traveler
2. Star Wars d6
3. Star Trek
4. Whatever Rigon doesn't want to play

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

maximus wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:07 am
Jagoff. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Mr & Mrs Old School Gamer both gave an enthusiastic vote for traveler

That is a running vote or

1 iffy vote for Star Trek
1 vote for Star Wars D6 (or a vote for anything Rigon does not want to play)
& 3 votes for traveler.

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Rigon wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:27 am
maximus wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:07 am
Jagoff. ;)

R-
Lol!

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

I don't know if I'm allowed to post here, but Star Trek Adventures wouldn't need to be house ruled for lower deck characters, rules are already in place for that, the system just assumes you're playing the command staff of something, star ship, star base, fleet. I'm a fan of the system and find it very versatile.

old school gamer
Red Cap

So what about the other Star Trek games? There was the original FASA, the Last Unicorn version and another one I think.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

anvil242 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am
I don't know if I'm allowed to post here, but Star Trek Adventures wouldn't need to be house ruled for lower deck characters, rules are already in place for that, the system just assumes you're playing the command staff of something, star ship, star base, fleet. I'm a fan of the system and find it very versatile.
Of course you are allowed to post here. Any honest discussion or debate tends to be better with more people throwing meat into the pot.

I guess my saying 'house rule' is not completely correct since yes the rules are set up to paly that type of game. I guess I should have said my game would not follow the normal assumption of players of Star Trek who plan on playing a full bird captain commanding an 800 + crew ship , or the chief medical officer of the ship, etc but go on a small away team to a hostile planet. If it was the choice it would be a lower ranking officer or mid ranked NCOs - again completely in the rules btb - doing all the standard adventure thins like being on the away team, being the first into an area that suffered a disaster, beaming down to assist an outpost in destress. etc. While the high rank Os etc stayed aboard the ship and made sure the away team had the support it needed.
old school gamer wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:10 pm
So what about the other Star Trek games? There was the original FASA, the Last Unicorn version and another one I think.
I don't have any of those rules, at least not easy access in PDF - I may have my OLD paper rules somewhere in a box hidden away some where, but no telling where they are .

I wouldn't even have Mod's Star Trek rules if it hadn't been on sale in a bundle of holding offer.

C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

Okay, I agree that even though I like TOS, the whole idea of senior officers going on away missions didn't make any sense to me. The point I was trying to make is that the rules do allow you to play something other than crewmen straight out of the academy.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ok didn't get to talk any Monday due to winds and SLOW internet, so don't know if anyone is changing their mind on the game they would prefer.

If the decision holds for it to be Traveller, my next question is what flavor do you all want

Traveller is highly flexible and the setting is a HUGE sandbox, so the options are numerous. Plus there are a ton of modules and adventure seeds floating around out there with different focuses.

One option is the 'Trader' or commerce style game where you are traveling around transporting goods (some legal some a little less than legal) and selling for a profit. That is the main focus of the game and the adventures pop up around it. I'm not sure how good I'd do at running that, but I'd try if that is what you want. The side adventures would be easy, but the actual buying selling goods, cost for the ship and profit margins … that is more accountant number crunching than I'm good at.

Another option is the military/merc style game - lots of combat & combat is DEADLY in traveler - You are a merc unit or support one in all the little brush fire wars popping up on the planets. I could easily handle it, but I'm not sure how fun in the long run it would be. Especially as brutal as combat can be and the fact that in Traveller there is no Cleric with instant healing

Another is spy/intrigue - it would be role playing heavy and since we will be doing this after Red Death which is a lot of investigation it may be just more of the same same. Youd be spying for a government world corp etc &/or stopping other governments worlds corps etc from spying on your patron. Again I'm not sure how fun it would be back to back with Red death.

Another is exploring - either in unknow space or in the cracks and gray areas of know space - this will also be a little slower passed spending blocks of time floating around scanning rocks in space etc etc etc.

Another can be a little of a mix of everything . To me kind of a Firefly type feel, where at one time you may be transporting (or smuggling) goods then you need to help a friend help a back water community, then you are doing a survey of a low population world (or stopping others from surveying it and keeping them from claim jumping on it.

There are other options too

However, before I start digging into the setting an thinking about adventure/campaign ideas, I want to know what feel or flavor of game you all want to play

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I like the "firefly" idea. A mix of trader/spy/merc. Assuming I don't die in character creation, I have an idea of what direction I want to go in. :)

old school gamer
Red Cap

How would feel about someone else running a game for awhile? My wife and I would like to GM something.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

maximus wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 pm
I like the "firefly" idea. A mix of trader/spy/merc. Assuming I don't die in character creation, I have an idea of what direction I want to go in. :)
Rgr That is the most flexiable, but it means the group needs to be well rounded and not singularly focused.
old school gamer wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:22 pm
How would feel about someone else running a game for awhile? My wife and I would like to GM something.
I'm fine with it if everyone else is.

Do you want to take over when Tree joins, and I'll put Masque of Read death on hold?

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Per last night's talk before the game

My sci fi will be put on hold or canxed with OSG starting a BASH Sci FI game set in the 1970s (I think you said 1975 as the specific year, but I may be wrong) every other week when Tree starts his modified C&C game (aprox 3 Aug).

I'll keep prepping Traveler incase that is ever an option. Along with the other possible games too.

C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

So can I get a rundown on what characters are playing in the upcoming BASH game? I want to know this so that I will know what I am up against.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'm in with the spy
Max has the monster hunter
Tree has the Brick
Rig has the blaster

I'm not sure if anyone else is playing

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Which game are we playing tonight?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Game tonight?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

old school gamer
Red Cap

As far as I know.

old school gamer
Red Cap

Who is coming?

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm in

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'm ready to kill some zombie soldiers and hunt down some mole people mutants !

C&C Society