New D&D Movie Trailer

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Persimmon
Ulthal

New D&D Movie Trailer

Post by Persimmon »

Saw the trailer for the upcoming D&D movie on Youtube the other day. I have to admit that it looks entertaining at the least. Certainly better than the dumpster fire Amazon is about to foist on the world.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Grandpa
Ulthal

Re: New D&D Movie Trailer

Post by Grandpa »

If it isn't directed by an experienced DM it will be crap most likely. As far as a movie about D&D goes at least. I hope it is being made by people who know the game well.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Persimmon wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:45 am
Saw the trailer for the upcoming D&D movie on Youtube the other day. I have to admit that it looks entertaining at the least. Certainly better than the dumpster fire Amazon is about to foist on the world.
I agree with you on all that.

Honestly I was not looking forward to the movie at all. I'm to the point that I've written off ANY fantasy movie / series coming out recently. The Hobbit annoyed me and things have gone worse from there.

However, the other night I saw the trailer and it did look good. I'm still wary but at least interested in it.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Yeah...they actually got stuff right so far from what I'm seeing in the trailer. Not thrilled with the music in the thing...but it looks amusing.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Yeah, the choice of Zeppelin for the music was a bit curious, but I'm not looking for high cinema here by any means. Just make it fun and it seems like they're trying to do that.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Lurker wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:01 am
Persimmon wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:45 am
I agree with you on all that.

Honestly I was not looking forward to the movie at all. I'm to the point that I've written off ANY fantasy movie / series coming out recently. The Hobbit annoyed me and things have gone worse from there.

However, the other night I saw the trailer and it did look good. I'm still wary but at least interested in it.
The monsters look pretty cool, but I'm a little put off on the way they portray the lead as a buffoon. I guess we'll see if the plot and acting hold up.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Persimmon wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:22 pm
Yeah, the choice of Zeppelin for the music was a bit curious, but I'm not looking for high cinema here by any means. Just make it fun and it seems like they're trying to do that.
Agreed. I thought that choice was weird as well.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

The lead being a buffoon type is pretty standard trope among anime and manga. Gets by more by luck, charm, and the competent help of their companions than directly by their own considerable skills which only show up when in a pinch or confronting the main big bad. It seems to be a really popular portrayal among isekai type heroes especially. I think they were going for heroic comic relief to dull the seriousness for the younger set.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The main character (Pine) is supposed to be a bard, which has a stereotyped cast as a jester/ragamuffin/hobo clown... and, with recent(ish) movies such as Thor: Love and Thunder, Guardians of the Galaxy (both of them), and Thor: Ragnarok being a mix of action, adventure, and comedy it seems natural that "fantasy elements must be combined with humor to be effective." (Also, this explains Zeppelin.) It certainly can be since hard dry approach can be very boring, especially to a majority - this move may simply be providing lip service to fans.

Anyway, it was cool to see a mimic and a displacer beast. I didn't really pay much attention to the trailer as my mind is still in the "pass" phase on watching it.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

So I read this thread and my take away is there is a movie where a murder-hobo clown rocks out to Led Zeppelin as he makes his way around doing what murder-hobo's do.... I'm torn this might be good. ;)

-Mike

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Owlbear! :-D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Tadhg wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:41 pm
Owlbear! :-D
Yeah that was a good part too !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Has anything else dropped on this yet?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Doesn't look like anything new yet, with the vast majority of related videos being one month old, per Google. Unless you want things like casting but even those are exactly fresh.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Thanks. I'll just keep an eye out.