Bored and thinking about streamlining my game

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Bored and thinking about streamlining my game

Post by Breakdaddy »

Was sitting here a bit bored and was thinking about what I would do to optimize C&C to better fit my gameplay style. I really like the way that ICRPG streamlines and handles skill and ability checks. It occurred to me that I could integrate that system into the SIEGE engine system and come up with something that theoretically was speedy and worked well for my table. In the spirit of the aforementioned boredom, I share it here and look forward to reading your thoughts. Firstly, we do away with the 3-18 attribute system and use just the bonus instead. All attributes start at zero and each character gets, say, 6 points to distribute amongst their attributes. We can go as low as -1 in any given attribute to add to the pool during character creation. Our hero Daedrinn Locke is a human fighter with the following stats… Str +3 , Con +2, Int +1, Wis -1, Cha +1 . These work as normal with +3 to hit and damage on melee attacks, for example, due to his strength. Next, we assign the two additional primary attributes allocated to human characters with the SIEGE engine mechanic. We automatically have Strength due to Daedrinn’s career path as a fighter. We also want him to be good at negotiating contracts and prices for the various goods and services he will need during the course of his adventures so we mark Cha as a primary attribute. Daedrinn is tough and resilient so we mark Con as a primary attribute. For any attribute or skill checks that are made based on Str, Con, or Cha he will receive a +3 bonus on his roll due to being primary attributes. He will also add the bonus for the listed attribute if any. If Daedrinn wants to negotiate a better price on that longsword with the local weaponsmith, he would make a Cha check (D20+3 for primary attribute, +1 for Con attribute bonus). He rolls a 9 and adds his bonuses for a total of 13. For target numbers, I also really like the way ICRPG handles those but that is a whole other conversation so for the purpose of this discussion, I would generally assign a target number of 10, 12, 15, or 18 to the skill check based on difficulty with 12 being the default for most checks and 18 assigned to only truly herculean tasks. Anyone else a fan of various ICRPG systems and ideas or like/dislike the approach I outlined above?
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

paladinn
Ulthal

Re: Bored and thinking about streamlining my game

Post by paladinn »

Glad we can help alleviate the boredom! That's what we're here for.

First, forgive me ignorance, but should we assume by "ICRPG", you mean "Index Card RPG"? Just wanted to clarify in my addled brain. And I've honestly never played a ICRPG. The closest thing has been the old Saga Dragonlance and MSH games.

Honestly I don't know how much what you propose will really streamline that much. Most people who play C&C (or D&D, or PF, or....) are used to dealing with the standard stat scores and bonuses. When Mutants & Masterminds stopped using stats and just went with bonuses, it was the start of them really leaving the D20-based world, IMO.

For my game, I've gone with a few ideas for streamlining. I use a flat 15 as the Siege target number, and give a +3 for primes. It's a tad simpler and less-swingy. I also use a unified XP/level progression, which is simpler for me and simplifies multiclassing and such. I've adapted the 5e model for spellcasting, which both enhances and limits casters.

For me, as a GM and as a tinkerer, it's important to do nothing to add more complexity to actual game-play.

Just my $.02

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

paladinn wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:23 pm
Glad we can help alleviate the boredom! That's what we're here for.

First, forgive me ignorance, but should we assume by "ICRPG", you mean "Index Card RPG"? Just wanted to clarify in my addled brain. And I've honestly never played a ICRPG. The closest thing has been the old Saga Dragonlance and MSH games.

Honestly I don't know how much what you propose will really streamline that much. Most people who play C&C (or D&D, or PF, or....) are used to dealing with the standard stat scores and bonuses. When Mutants & Masterminds stopped using stats and just went with bonuses, it was the start of them really leaving the D20-based world, IMO.

For my game, I've gone with a few ideas for streamlining. I use a flat 15 as the Siege target number, and give a +3 for primes. It's a tad simpler and less-swingy. I also use a unified XP/level progression, which is simpler for me and simplifies multiclassing and such. I've adapted the 5e model for spellcasting, which both enhances and limits casters.

For me, as a GM and as a tinkerer, it's important to do nothing to add more complexity to actual game-play.

Just my $.02
Hey thanks for sharing your thoughts, Paladinn. Yes, with apologies for my initial lack of clarity the reference is to Index Card RPG. I also like your take on the SIEGE system and since Ive yet to playtest my own yours could prove more efficient. For the attribute change, for me, its more about speeding up character generation and getting in to the game. The original system has long been abstracted to bonuses anyway, so I dont think we are losing anything but maybe gain a few minutes during chargen. Admittedly, this wouldn't be something that frequently occurred in most of my games. I really would like to try the "effort" system as well but one thing at a time.
Ref on "effort": its a system that treats many tasks that take an extended amount of time sort of like combat (mechanically). So if you roll and succeed at a Dex check to pick a lock you would roll to succeed as usual with a D20, but an "effort" die (a D6 if the character is using lockpicks, D4 otherwise) would be rolled to complete the task. Most tasks would be completed after expend 10 points of effort. So if you succeeded in this check and rolled a 5 on the D6 effort die, you would still need to expend 5 points of effort to complete the task. I can see where it could add needless bookkeeping if overused but Im thinking about it in context of when the characters are under duress or time constraints and it would potentially add a degree of tension to the scene. I was skeptical about this effort mechanic when I first read about it but after seeing it in action on another GMs session, I saw the potential. Those players were on the edge of their seats while the rogue tried to pick that lock. The GM had picked up a D4 at the beginning of the scene and said "your loud blundering about in the near-dark has caused the guards to be alerted. They will arrive in..." rolls D4... "3 rounds! Can Van Eijke pick the lock before the guards arrive?"
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Off the subject, but Breakdaddy has one of the best avatars out there. Cracks me up every time I see it.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

maximus wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:02 pm
Off the subject, but Breakdaddy has one of the best avatars out there. Cracks me up every time I see it.
Haha it's the primary way I add value to the forums :D
-Genghis Khan