C&C Homebrew/ Houserules

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
paladinn
Ulthal

C&C Homebrew/ Houserules

Post by paladinn »

So here is my latest rendition of the fighter for C&C:

1. A core fighter, as RAW, has a BtH equal to level. As usual, s/he is proficient with all armor and weapons.
2. A fighter who has an 18 Str automatically gains an extra +1 damage (an homage to the "extraordinary Str" feature from AD&D)
3. A fighter gets an improvement every 4 levels, starting at L4 - like all characters; more in another thread
4. At L1, a fighter gets a choice of:
a. a fighting style, ala 5e - more to follow, Or
b. weapon specialization with one weapon of choice
5. Weapon specialization grants a +1 to hit and a +2 damage (from AD&D) with one weapon
6. WS is again granted at L7, 13, 19 and 25. Each time, one of the following can be chosen:
a. a new weapon may be chosen, granting a +1/+2 bonus with the new weapon
b. an existing WS may be enhanced by +1/+1. The max to-hit for any one weapon is +3
7. At L3, Combat Dominance is gained. When fighting creatures of half the fighter's HD or less, the fighter gets a number of attacks equal his/her level. This tactic ends if/when the fighter misses, or attacks a creature that no longer meets the criteria. the effectiveness scales with the fighter's level.
8. At L9, Martial Prominence is gained. On a given round, a fighter can choose to allocate some or all of his/her BtH to either AC or damage in lieu of to-hit.
9. At L10, 15 and 20 and 25, a straight-up extra attack is gained.

I think this makes a core fighter very competitive at pretty much all levels, and should be an improvement over most older D&D versions' renditions, as well as over the higher-level features from the CKG (some of which are a bit lame). And hopefully without bogging anything down.

Thoughts?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: C&C Homebrew/ Houserules

Post by Go0gleplex »

"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

paladinn
Ulthal

Re: C&C Homebrew/ Houserules

Post by paladinn »

With all the talk about houserules on other threads, I thought I'd take a step back and mention some of my basic houserules.
1. Max HP at L1 plus CON bonus. After L10, the flat HP listed plus CON bonus.
2. A flat 15 CB, subject to CK fiat. Primes are +3. Non-primes are nada.
3. Either spell-points or spell-slots (I've had both). Spell effects limited to spell level, not caster level
4. Characters limited to 20 levels

Beyond these, I'm pondering the following:
1. A unified XP/level progression. Since "class balance" is not an issue in C&C, there's not a reason Not to
2. A Very limited advantages/skills model. Advantages and skills from the CKG, and skills from Players' Guide to Aihdre 5e. Every character gets 1 advantage (feat) and 2 skills (+2 bonus) at L1. No "feat chains". The list of available advantages and skills also subject to CK fiat.
3. Every 5 levels, a character can choose one of the following:
a. Increase one attribute by +1
b. One new advantage or skill
c. Increase existing skill bonuses by +1

Thoughts?