AD&D 1st and 2nd Ed Conversions

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
tcabril

AD&D 1st and 2nd Ed Conversions

Post by tcabril »

Has anyone done any work in converting AD&D 1st and 2nd Edition spells, magic items or Monsters into C&C?

If so how did you do it? I don't think it would be to hard - but I am lazy.

Oh and while I am at it - has anyone converted D20 3.X

Thanks

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Re: AD&D 1st and 2nd Ed Conversions

Post by Jason Vey »

tcabril wrote:
Has anyone done any work in converting AD&D 1st and 2nd Edition spells, magic items or Monsters into C&C?

If so how did you do it? I don't think it would be to hard - but I am lazy.

Oh and while I am at it - has anyone converted D20 3.X

Thanks
http://www.grey-elf.com/candc/conversions.pdf

There's your 3.x conversions.

For AD&D...just use spells and items as-is, straight up. No conversion required. For monsters, just reverse AC. Take the AD&D AC and subtract it from 20. So a creature with AC 3 in AD&D has AC 17 in C&C. A creature with AC -2 in D&D has AC 22 in C&C. Then decide if the critter's Primes are Physical, Mental, or Both, and you're set.

tcabril

Post by tcabril »

Thanks Dude - you are most helpful.

I am a true convert to C&C but I happen to have boxes of AD&D 1st and 2nd Editon - never mind D20 3.x (I refuse to call what WOTC produces Dungeons and Dragons) and Hackmaster.

Thanks again.

Todd

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

tcabril wrote:
Thanks Dude - you are most helpful.

I am a true convert to C&C but I happen to have boxes of AD&D 1st and 2nd Editon - never mind D20 3.x (I refuse to call what WOTC produces Dungeons and Dragons) and Hackmaster.

Thanks again.

Todd

No problem. Welcome to the crusade!

sieg

Post by sieg »

Yeah, welcome aboard! Backwards compatibility was one of the design goals of C&C so you're set there. Grey Elf's D20 conversion should fix you up for anything in the D20 market.

tcabril

Post by tcabril »

I sent Grey Elf a PM about this but what about Magic Items and Spells - I think just a swap in would be fine - any thoughts?

Jungger

Post by Jungger »

Just wondering how other people are handling a non-human fighter/ thief. I ask because this build is not optimal at find/disable traps while in AD&D there was no such disadvantage except in the divided exp.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

tcabril wrote:
I sent Grey Elf a PM about this but what about Magic Items and Spells - I think just a swap in would be fine - any thoughts?

Conversion is neglegable between AD&D and C&C. Everything ought to port over fine.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

tcabril

Post by tcabril »

This is the coolest news - because...

AD&D 1st & 2nd Edition = Hackmaster (with some tweaks) = C&C which is just about the coolest thing ever.

What does one end up with - a super cool (flexable and easy) rule system (the SIEGE Engine) with Hackmaster attitude!!!! 8)

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

tcabril wrote:
This is the coolest news - because...

AD&D 1st & 2nd Edition = Hackmaster (with some tweaks) = C&C which is just about the coolest thing ever.

What does one end up with - a super cool (flexable and easy) rule system (the SIEGE Engine) with Hackmaster attitude!!!! 8)

Thats the spirit. Swirl it all together.

C&C, the Melting Pot of Rpg's.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

So far all magic items/spells I converted from 1E/2E went over as is, monsters, just flip the AC and pick thier primes. From 3E I really havn't done a lot with spells(most have either a C&C or earlier edition D&D version), magic items I eyeball, usually adjusting down, and for monster you need to tone them down, taking away 3Es stat bonuses in most cases (hit and damage bonuses for strength, con bonus to HPs, etc.) Most feats I treat as monster abilities.

Dragonhelm
Red Cap

Re: AD&D 1st and 2nd Ed Conversions

Post by Dragonhelm »

The Grey Elf wrote:
http://www.grey-elf.com/candc/conversions.pdf

There's your 3.x conversions.

Fantastic! Thanks for the link.
tcabril wrote:

One of the things that I really like about C&C is that I can easily convert not only AD&D, but also d20. I've got tons of books from all editions myself, and I'd like to be able to use as many as possible.
gideon_thorne wrote:

LOL! So true!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Conversion from nearly every game is a snap. There are a few (Amber Diceless and the like) that can be a tedious chore... but that'd be true for any conversion from those to any other system.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

gideon_thorne wrote:

Exactly why I tried it (I have lots of 1E/2E/OD&D/and 3E too) and exactly why I have fallen in love with it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

gideon_thorne wrote:

Heh...
I buy every C&C module that comes out, because they're new (and quality) adventures for AD&D or C&C, whichever I feel like using 'em with. Use AD&D spells in C&C, or vice versa, it all works.

tcabril

Post by tcabril »

How do y'all handle the fact that in AD&D Cleric and Druid spells only go up to 7th level and in C&C they go all the way to 9th?

Just curious

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Depends on the edition, there... but one can simply shift spells around. Or, say "so what?" and convert the AD&D level to the C&C level and give the proper spell adjustment. Doing it in reverse gives the same result... a cleric that has access to the spell elvel for its appropriate game. I don't see the problem.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

We've taken a few spells from 1E and ported them over directly to C&C. In all cases so far, we have used the level of the 1E spell, and just converted it straight over to C&C. However, as CK I didn't permit every spell from 1E PHB, just the ones that didn't already exist in C&C.

In the later levels this is certainly give a slight "power shift" to the cleric spells, but not too much to worry about IMO.

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

So far we're using spell levels from the 1E stuff (havn't got to any of the 2E spells yet). We're using the same spells levels as 1E with C&C. This hasn't caused a problem yet, but none of the players that I run can uses spells of the 7-9 spell levels yet anyways, although NPCs have.

No formula here, as we havn't encountered any problems.

.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Spells and magic items port over pretty seamlessly from 3.x to C&C; when possible (assuming the spell/item doesn't already exist in the C&C PHB or M&T book), I always use the AD&D 1E versions (see the old DMG for magic items), but where that's not possible, I hit http://www.d20srd.org/ and use it as-is. If it seems overpowered in play I work with the players to nerf it as needed. Underpowered is rarely an issue; if it's not powerful enough, there's always more magic items to be found.

As for nonhumans with class levels, my conversions pdf covers that.

sieg

Post by sieg »

Keep in mind a few spells from 1E became Cantrips (0 lvl) in C&C. The one that sticks out to me most is "Light". However, the Cantrip light can't be used offensively. So, I treat the 1E "Light" as a slightly different spell than the C&C light.