Castle of the Mad Archmage to be published...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Castle of the Mad Archmage to be published...

Post by Treebore »

"The agreement includes the publication and distribution of all twelve of the Castle of the Mad Archmage dungeon levels included in the previously released pdf of the same title, plus two additional levels that Joseph wrote exclusively for inclusion in the Black Blade Publishing release of the Castle of the Mad Archmage. These two additional levels will be

-- Surface Level – The Upper Ruins, and

-- Level One – The Storage Rooms

The Black Blade release of the Castle of the Mad Archmage will be published with several other design features that will make this a truly stand-out print product, including:

-- A 220-240 page hardcover containing the encounter keys and level by level detail for all 14 levels;

-- Full-color poster maps on heavyweight stock for all 14 levels;

-- A folio or folder to organize and store the poster maps when they're not in use;

-- A deluxe box or slipcase for storing both the level key hardcover and the map folio with all of the poster maps;

-- The addition of a number of original black & white interior art pieces to highlight specific set piece encounters or unique features of the Castle levels;

In addition, Black Blade Publishing and Joseph Bloch have discussed plans to release further expansions of the Castle of the Mad Archmage, including several sub-levels and level-expansions for the twelve primary dungeon levels beneath the ruins of the Mad Archmage’s Castle."
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Castle of the Mad Archmage to be published...

Post by Rigon »

Very, very cool.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Very, very cool.

R-

Yep. I know the price tag is going to make me at least flinch, but I have no doubt it will be worth it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Now that is a mega-dungeon done right.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Go0gleplex wrote:Now that is a mega-dungeon done right.
a big +1 on that

(and yes, only +1, this is Old School D&D here, not the new fangled one where the whole party is all level 30 and everyone has at least a +8 weapon and rides on Hippogriffs. Nope, Old School, we've been playing the game for 5 months and we have only one magical weapon for the whole party, we're all either 2nd or 3rd level and we're running for our lives deep in the underdark from slavers).
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

this sounds great. i'll be excited to own a copy and, hopefully, inflict it on my players. (I do already have the download, but still)
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

While, overall, I'm excited about this project, I do hope they update those maps. Sure, they look old-school an all, but the maps are just SO boring with the simply blockiness of them. None of the old TSR modules had such blocky, boring dungeon maps.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I look at it this way, it is a great oppertunity for those of us who missed out on the CZ:UW box to get a CZ-type dungeon. Especially with the added material described.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Rigon wrote:I look at it this way, it is a great oppertunity for those of us who missed out on the CZ:UW box to get a CZ-type dungeon. Especially with the added material described.

R-
I certainly won't deny that, but let's be honest here for a second. Castle of the Mad Archmage is nowhere near the quality of Gygax's Castle Zagyg: Upper Works. Not even close. However, if you can't get a hold of that one, I guess the next best choice would be COTMA, though IMO it doesn't have the heart or the feeling of CZ at all. YMMV.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I saw the first and second levels and thought they were OK, not my cup of tea and I agree with Omote - they are not necessarily a CZ alternative. Not a bad thing, but I suggest people read up and research the product when released so you won't be disappointed in what you receive.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:
Rigon wrote:I look at it this way, it is a great oppertunity for those of us who missed out on the CZ:UW box to get a CZ-type dungeon. Especially with the added material described.

R-
I certainly won't deny that, but let's be honest here for a second. Castle of the Mad Archmage is nowhere near the quality of Gygax's Castle Zagyg: Upper Works. Not even close. However, if you can't get a hold of that one, I guess the next best choice would be COTMA, though IMO it doesn't have the heart or the feeling of CZ at all. YMMV.

~O

I think we should wait and see the final product, which is predicted to be between 220 to 240 pages. No doubt it won't have the same heart or feeling of CZ, it isn't created or written by the same people. Nor do I think anyone wants it to have the same heart or feeling. This is only similar in concept and maybe style. Personally I like most of this in its fan made form, but do I think its in any way "identical" to CZ? Heck no! Is it something similar enough to be useable or adaptable in a similar fashion? Absolutely. Can it stand on its own merits? I think so. I think it already does.

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

I saw the first and second levels and thought they were OK, not my cup of tea

May I ask how? As far as I'm aware the only people who have seen them are myself and the folks at BB.

If you're referring to the levels that were done as a sort of adjunct to the Castle of the Mad Archmage by a third party author, those are NOT the Surface or Storage Room levels that will be included with the BB edition. I had nothing to do with them, and have created completely new levels that are exclusive to the BB edition, and fit in thematically and structurally with the other levels of CotMA.

I should also point out that the Castle of the Mad Archmage will be a self-contained product, complete unto itself. It will *not* be dependent on anyone having CZ:UW.

Joe Bloch
http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Thulcondar wrote:I saw the first and second levels and thought they were OK, not my cup of tea

May I ask how? As far as I'm aware the only people who have seen them are myself and the folks at BB.

If you're referring to the levels that were done as a sort of adjunct to the Castle of the Mad Archmage by a third party author, those are NOT the Surface or Storage Room levels that will be included with the BB edition. I had nothing to do with them, and have created completely new levels that are exclusive to the BB edition, and fit in thematically and structurally with the other levels of CotMA.

I should also point out that the Castle of the Mad Archmage will be a self-contained product, complete unto itself. It will *not* be dependent on anyone having CZ:UW.

Joe Bloch
Hi Joe.

Thanks, I might be misremembering. I thought you released those early levels on DF when they were completed last year or the prior one. May I ask who then actually created those levels in question?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

That would be Richard Graves, who published his level under the title "The Mad Demigod's Castle" in 2009 (after I asked him not to use "Castle of the Mad Archmage"). He goes by the name "Rath" over at DF.

I never looked much past the cover, myself, but it seems like he only did level 1, not the surface ruins.

Joe

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Thulcondar wrote:That would be Richard Graves, who published his level under the title "The Mad Demigod's Castle" in 2009 (after I asked him not to use "Castle of the Mad Archmage"). He goes by the name "Rath" over at DF.

I never looked much past the cover, myself, but it seems like he only did level 1, not the surface ruins.

Joe
Oh, him. Yeah, a major dickwad and basher of Gygax Games as well as a disrespectful poster on DF after Gary's passing. He has an account here too, but hasn't been around in a few years thankfully.

So, sorry to have inadvertently associated you with him. Probably due to that situation that you mentioned.

But that aside, are there any samples of your maps or work that can be viewed/pre-viewed?

I'm reading positive posts about your product, but I'm now wondering where or how people are getting their info - in order to express these opinions regarding same.

Many thanks!

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

If you go to my blog, over in the "free downloads" section, you'll find a link to the free pdf version of the dungeon, which has levels 2 through 13. It includes maps, although a link to poster-versions of the maps are also available right below the first link.

The print version will include everything from the surface through level 13, with redone maps, extensive editing of the text, artwork, and other niceties to put it head and shoulders above the free pdf version. But at least that will give you some idea of what's there.

Joe

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Joe,
Joe Bloch, from GreyHawk Grognard Post Wednesday, December 31, 2008 wrote: My gaming resolution for 2009 is thus. My big gaming project will be to design my own Castle of the Mad Archmage. And I'm going to publish it here, level by level. I don't pretend that I'm going to get through the whole thing, but I will get the core levels done. Hand-drawn maps, the way the Gods intended, and a simple one or two-line description for most rooms. Set pieces will be more fleshed out, but the idea will be to bring back the idea of Spartan design to incite GM flexibility and creativity, and the use of random tables to fill in some of the blank spots.
Thank you for keeping your gaming resolution and congratulations on getting it published. You're labor of love freely given to fans has opened the way to seeing this published - congraulations and thank you for putting Castles of the Mad Archmage out there. I was curious if it was going to be system specific or system netural. I know your working on Adventures Dark & Deep so I didn't know if it would centered on that, another product, etc.

Also, have you considered releasing the levels as on module at a time, soft cover or PDF? That way there is as long a wait or those using Castle Zagyg can just get the levels we interested in?

Thanks!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

rmckee78
Skobbit

Post by rmckee78 »

I met Joe at last year's DexCon, through his invasion of the Grognards, and he is a really nice guy. I am really looking forward to this as I really enjoyed reading through the free version. I even printed it out as a booklet so I could stealth read it in class. I found it to be very good at capturing the "mega-dungeon" style of play. I am thinking about setting it under a ruined caste by The City State of the Invincible Overlord in my Wed. C&C game.

I am hoping to make it out to NJCon for some Ogre in May too.

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

Treebore wrote:"The agreement includes the publication and distribution of all twelve of the Castle of the Mad Archmage dungeon levels included in the previously released pdf of the same title, plus two additional levels that Joseph wrote exclusively for inclusion in the Black Blade Publishing release of the Castle of the Mad Archmage. These two additional levels will be

-- Surface Level – The Upper Ruins, and

-- Level One – The Storage Rooms

The Black Blade release of the Castle of the Mad Archmage will be published with several other design features that will make this a truly stand-out print product, including:

-- Full-color poster maps on heavyweight stock for all 14 levels;

-- A folio or folder to organize and store the poster maps when they're not in use;

-- A deluxe box or slipcase for storing both the level key hardcover and the map folio with all of the poster maps;

-- The addition of a number of original black & white interior art pieces to highlight specific set piece encounters or unique features of the Castle levels;

In addition, Black Blade Publishing and Joseph Bloch have discussed plans to release further expansions of the Castle of the Mad Archmage, including several sub-levels and level-expansions for the twelve primary dungeon levels beneath the ruins of the Mad Archmage’s Castle."
This is absolutely awesome!
-- A 220-240 page hardcover containing the encounter keys and level by level detail for all 14 levels;
This, however, is not. Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I like my modules split into smaller softbound books for easier use by me the GM. I will say that it IS good that the maps are separate as that is one of the most absolutely infuriating aspects of more modern modules (like WotC's 3.x Expedition series and Zeitgeist's Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor).
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken
Μολὼν λάβε

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

TheMetal1 wrote:Also, have you considered releasing the levels as on module at a time, soft cover or PDF? That way there is as long a wait or those using Castle Zagyg can just get the levels we interested in?

Thanks!
At the moment, I think the focus is on the hardcover/slipcase version. I will leave it to the good folks from Black Blade to comment on any future plans.

Joe