New to C&C, a few questions

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
DM_Curt
Skobbit

New to C&C, a few questions

Post by DM_Curt »

Hi all!
First, the context:
So, I've been playing D&D for a while (starting with the red box in ~'84, going to 1e, 2e &5E) and decided to go with C&C.
I managed to get my current 2e D&D group to agree to switch over to C&C as soon as we finish our current thing, so they should be 4th-5th level when we convert the characters (Human Ranger, Dwarf Fighter, Human Wizard, Human Cleric, Elf Thief) into their C&C equivalents at about the same level.

I purchased the A-series adventures boxed sets for A-0-12. I'm a sucker for boxed sets and these look really good.

My questions:
1: Are there any particular issues with conversion from 2e D&D, that I should be wary of? (It looks pretty straightforward)

2: Are there any particular optional rules from the Castle keeper's Guide that I especially should/should not use?
I'm currently considering using:
-Faith/Skill-based spellcasting (P.41 of Chapter 2 of the CKG).
-Luck Points (p350 of Chapter 19 of the CKG)
-Critical Hits (p313 of Chapter 17 of the CKG).

3: Any tips, guidance or warnings you would give an old D&D guy going forward into C&C?

paladinn
Ulthal

Re: New to C&C, a few questions

Post by paladinn »

Hola! And welcome aboard! I'm from a similar background, and I too have been "assimilated" by the greatness of C&C.

You'll find that C&C plays a lot like "basic" 2e (without Players' Option stuff), other than ascending AC. It's a little adjustment for old school folks like us, but not too hard. For newer people, it's easier to grasp than negative AC's, by far. Things like proficiencies are already baked-in and don't really need to be managed separately. Weapon specialization is a fighter-only thing, but it's simple too. Thief skills are class abilities and managing those is baked-in as well. The Siege engine is a great general adjudication system, and very easy to tweak.

I would try running a few sessions as-is before grafting anything on. But once you do, there are a lot of things you can tweak. Personally I prefer a spell slot or point system; the Vancian fire-and-forget concept is the bane of my RP existence. Advantages (from the CKG) are a good way to add some individuality (and flavor) to a character. And if you want a little more skill-crunch, there are ways to accomplish that too. There are a number of 3rd-parties that have produced some great materials, many for free. I particularly like Duke Omote's stuff: https://sites.google.com/site/advancedc ... dcrusades/

Again, I would try to play as close to BtB as you can until you get a feel for it. But it really is a great system!

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Before using any of the options other than the different attribute bonus charts on page 11 I'd play the system straight for a bit as and get a feel for the PC vs monster power levels. Skill based casting makes caster more powerful. Luck and crits adds a lot of randomity into combat and make it a bit like super heroes. Crits favor monsters.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I'd say that by far the biggest difference comes in the scaling of saves, since they're tied to the opponent's level. In other words, if you're a higher level character, your saves won't necessarily get much easier when you level up, assuming you're facing commensurate foes. To me, this is a plus of the Siege Engine, as it keeps things pretty challenging throughout. At lower levels you won't likely notice much difference between C&C and AD&D 1-2e in this respect. But the extra spells (due to useful 0 level options) are quite nice.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Well I just rolled a 1... dropped my hat on the keyboard and killed my whole post! So yes a 1 is a fumble.

First, I checked the dates this is not a thread resurrection!

Welcome, the galls and guys here are super helpful and always willing to help, just use caution getting them all riled up!

Like you can guess, I think 1s and 20 should do something special and I bet we've been house ruling that since like '79.

My first group was unlucky, one all the time and average in moments when they tried so hard to "do heroic stuff" so we use luck and hero points and really like them.

But I agree go with the basics and add as you go and keep player input as you go to see what they think too.

Shoot me a PM and I will send you a nice write up on conversions. But you can just let them pick the class they think is closest, could be multi class or class and a half. Then if some ability is really missing make it a magic item.

I think casters have great power here, but then fighters rock too.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Dm Curt

First Welcome to the boards, hope you find some good ideas and advice here.

As said before, I'd stay with BTB C&C for a bit until you have figured out. After that ..... modify as you see fit and enjoy!

Personally, I am a habitual rule tinker. Some times they work out better than I'd think and other times .... well not so much. however, that is the great thing about C&C's Siege system. It is very very robust and can handle endless fiddling without coming apart.

Like Cap K's gorup , I'm famously horribly unlucky, so I after playing Call of Cathulhu & Traveller, and seeing how helpful a 'luck' mechanic of some type can be, I've added a fate point/luck to my games.

...... Cap K ...... us get riled up ...... I don't know what you are talking about. We are all meek as kittens here ! :mrgreen:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Welcome to the boards!

I have used a lot of 2nd ed stuff in C&C. In many ways, i play 2nd ed AD&D but with C&C's mechanic. So it definitely can work. But as others have said, try out the basics first, and then you can integrate those features from 2nd ed that you miss.

There are two things in particular from 2nd ed i like adding. The first is 2nd ed proficiencies- very easy to add. The other is 2nd Ed Priest spheres; i created a document that creates 2nd-ed style from the C&C spell lists. So if you feel the need to re-create some specialty priests, let me know.

Have fun!

-Fizz

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Fizz wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:11 am
Welcome to the boards!

I have used a lot of 2nd ed stuff in C&C. In many ways, i play 2nd ed AD&D but with C&C's mechanic. So it definitely can work. But as others have said, try out the basics first, and then you can integrate those features from 2nd ed that you miss.

There are two things in particular from 2nd ed i like adding. The first is 2nd ed proficiencies- very easy to add. The other is 2nd Ed Priest spheres; i created a document that creates 2nd-ed style from the C&C spell lists. So if you feel the need to re-create some specialty priests, let me know.

Have fun!

-Fizz
I'd love to see the specialty priest stuff too :)

How do you do the 2e proficiencies? Are they treated as class abilities or ?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Welcome...while not strictly 2e, I have many resources I've put together to make things easier and expand on such as a random familiar generator by biome, adapted spells from the 2e published spell encyclopedias (and many more), an expanded starting spell list by caster class as starter spell book help, etc. Just drop me a PM if interested.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

I am agreeing with several who are suggesting stay with vanilla C&C at first, just to get the conversion kinks out. The learning curve isn't bad as the Siege Engine is a simple yet enjoyable system and things will quickly become second nature.

Do try a straight conversion and then begin expanding where you and the players want. I only dabbed in 2nd edition for a year or two, and went back to 1st edition, so beyond switching out of the ol' THAC0 and Saves verses Categories to the Siege Engine mechanic, I don't think there is anything that will give you trouble.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

DM_Curt
Skobbit

Post by DM_Curt »

Grandpa wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm
Before using any of the options other than the different attribute bonus charts on page 11 I'd play the system straight for a bit as and get a feel for the PC vs monster power levels. Skill based casting makes caster more powerful. Luck and crits adds a lot of randomity into combat and make it a bit like super heroes. Crits favor monsters.
Crits based on (option 5?) the chart where a certain number will collapse a lung, etc. make large numbers of small opponents very deadly. Most of the rest scale by the power of the individual foe, although larger numbers of rolls will still favor more often crits.
I'll let the players choose their poison except the one where you have to make a save, (option 3?) because that seems clunkier than the others. I'm sure they'll want some form of crits for the PCs to use, even though the monsters will get them too.

I think I want to have some equipment wastage rules, because otherwise, PCs just accumulate gold endlessly until it has no meaning.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

DM_Curt wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:44 pm
I think I want to have some equipment wastage rules, because otherwise, PCs just accumulate gold endlessly until it has no meaning.
Yes, I do that with a simple % charge per significant encounter on non-magic equipment. Also charging for any physical spell component that has significant cost