An interesting trap

Where CKs swap ideas and players figure out what's coming.

Moderator: Keeper Advice Moderators

Geroblue
Mist Elf

An interesting trap

Post by Geroblue »

I decided I was tired of my players just rushing into a room with no door. I understood why they did it. But I decided to see if I could cure them of that.

Their characters are several levels down in a dungeon. They find a room with no door closing it off from the corridor. There is a door way down the room from the opening.

The floor is absolutely clean. They get a spare backpack, put some broken gear in it. Tie a rope to it, and while holding on to the other end of the rope, toss in the backpack.

The floor gives way, hinged on the far fall, the backpack falls around 50 feet down.

They glare at me, and move their characters on down the passageway.

Most of the store players just rushed right in. Wheee ! Thud !
My mind is backed up... somewhere. But probably not over the rainbow. More likely in another dimension.

If I post too much just let me know and I'll slow down.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: An interesting trap

Post by Go0gleplex »

I have a few 'greedy PC' killers which pretty much takes advantage of murder hobo psychology when confronted with something pricey. The floating pillar is a favorite of mine. A bowling ball sized golden statue sitting on an ornately carved pillar in the center of a room. The statue is hollow or simply plated over wood though, so pulling an Indiana Jones on it will backfire just as spectacularly as simply swiping it...as the pillar is pumice and floating on a column of water underneath it. A change in water equilibrium will trip a hidden pressure switch sealing the room and initiating a rain of hydrochloric acid from the ceiling for the next ten minutes.

On the other hand, I've also used the reverse of that where I've placed stairways and doors hidden within pits, by falling blocks, and even spring loaded platforms. Most PCs tend to disarm and or avoid such mundane traps when spotted thus bypassing the route to the the next level or actual treasure room.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."