OSR via C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
paladinn
Ulthal

OSR via C&C

Post by paladinn »

So branching off of the "Running Classic & OSR Campaigns" thread..

I dearly love C&C.. it's definitely my "modern" game of choice now. And it's infinitely tinkerable:)
I also love the feel and experience of the old Classic/BX/BECMI games, and several of the newer OSR games (like Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, etc.)
So theorycrafting.. how/might one emulate the OSR-ish experience within the C&C game? Running Classic/OSR modules is a benefit, but not the entire purpose.

I see this manifesting in 3 ways:
1. Features and mechanics from core C&C to retain, maybe with minor tweaks
2. Features and mechanics from Classic/OSR games to import, again with possible tweaks
3. Features and mechanics to import from other games (preferably in the same "family") that might make for a better RP experience, for the player Or the DM/GM/CK.

Let the theorycrafting begin!

paladinn
Ulthal

Re: OSR via C&C

Post by paladinn »

So to get things started.. I'll use the Classic HD progression:
"Warriors" (fighters and such) - d8
"Priests" (clerics, etc.) - d6
Mages - d4
I'm torn on giving rogues/thieves d6 or d4

Is there a problem using Classic hit tables, adapted to BtH? Would C&C BtH be overkill for a OSR game?

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

I am more of a purest, keeping AD&D, C&C, and DCC-RPG separate (the three games I get to DM on occasion). Each has their own feel and I've players who prefer the game based upon the feel and style.

That said, I'd give thieves a d6 and run your mixture game using the Siege Engine. If you are not going to go with complex tables to look up 'to hit' and 'saves' than the Siege Engine is the way to go. That is my two cents worth. :)
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

I'm definitely running using the Siege engine! So much better for running class abilities and such.

Fighters and such get +1 per level BtH. Classic games typically don't. I do have a converted BtH chart for Classic games. I just wonder which BtH scheme would be best. And if I use the Classic BtH, how/should that affect the "add level for class abilities" from C&C?

On the subject of fighters, here's what I would propose for fighter's features in this game:

1. At L1 and 7, weapon specialization as per C&C. A fighter can either choose a new weapon to specialize or add a +1 to an already-specialized weapon. Pondering allowing at L13 and 19 as well.

2. At L4, in place of Combat Dominance, give Cleave. A fighter can attack up to his/her level times as long as foes keep dropping. If there's a miss or a foe Doesn't drop, the cleave ends.

3. At L10, the "fighter combat options" from BECMI: Smash, Parry and Disarm.

4. At L12, a straight-up extra attack, ala BECMI.

I think that strikes a good balance between Classic and C&C in terms of power. Is it overpowered?

Brick Hardslab
Mist Elf

Post by Brick Hardslab »

I prefer running the OSR modules through C&C. If you run btb it feels very osr to me especially AD&D. Maybe make race as class if you want to simulate Rules Cyclopedia or Holmes.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Pressing on.. In adapting the C&C paladin for a more OSR-level game, is Smite Evil too powerful? A +1damage for every paladin level really amps things up. What might be something more fitting? I've seen a treatment that just adds a flat +2.

Ultimately I want a paladin that can be either start at L1 Or can be an add-on to a high level fighter, ala BECMI.