Very sorry to announce the loss of Kayolan

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Very sorry to announce the loss of Kayolan

Post by slimykuotoan »

Many of you have perhaps gamed with him or chatted with him on these boards, as C&C was his favorite rpg.

I'm sad to say that Kayolan passed away today in hospital, as related by his brother.

I considered him a dear friend and gamed with him once a week for the last 15 years.

I'll miss him very, very much, and know that my world will be a lot emptier without him.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Very sorry to announce the loss of kayolan

Post by LordSeurek »

If anyone wants to post any fun kayolan stories and things he said/did while playing and/or running games, please post them here. Even just a hey, I remember playing ??? whenever with him would be great.

All of our gaming experiences have been made infinitely better by knowing and gaming with kayolan.

RIP old friend. You are missed more than I can say.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Very sorry to announce the loss of Kayolan

Post by LordSeurek »

I think the first time I gamed online with kayolan was maybe when he was doing a lejendary adventures game. I think either him or Wulgarn was running and it was pbp. Kayolan was amazed with the idea of using skype to communicate. (Slimy got me into skype for gaming) I still have those original GG LA books and haven't used them in such a long time. .

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Waaay to many games for me to count.

I particularly loved that he was always up for a one-shot at very little notice, and how we would often spend an hour or so after game chatting about rpgs, philosophy, and etcetera.

Kayolan and the crew here got me through some really tough periods in my life, and those years of gaming are among the best times of my life.

Laughter, good cheer and comradery.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Rest in Peace Kayolan! My condolences to his family and also to the members here who regularly got to play C&C (and other games) with him. He will be missed.

-Mike

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

My very first online game was when he ran Rappan Athuk. Next month will make that 7 years ago. I've spent most Saturdays since then gaming with that group that he put together. I'm going to miss him.

I don't have a quote, but i will relate that years later, my first GM joined my game as a PC by floating into the middle of a battle from a castle in the sky as it was being destroyed. That was his chosen way to enter the game.

He made his own games come to life. From his descriptions to the situations.

His knowledge of the history of gaming, rules, modules and do much more was legendary.

RIP my friend

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I gamed off and on with Kayolan over the last 15 years or so. He had been absent from my game for several years, but when I started up a new campany this past summer, I invited him to join. He did and it was great to get to reconect with him.

He will be missed tremndously.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Condolences and Peace to Kayolan's family and friends.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:48 pm
I gamed off and on with Kayolan over the last 15 years or so. He had been absent from my game for several years, but when I started up a new campany this past summer, I invited him to join. He did and it was great to get to reconect with him.

He will be missed tremndously.

R-
+1 to that. Can't believe it has been 15 years, and can't believe he passed that quickly!

Prayers to his family
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Definitely a blow to the community here. He was one of the old guard.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Wow, I'm stunned. I was wondering why I hadn't seen any messages from him Monday. RIP Kayolan and prayers up.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Condolences and sympathies. Hopefully he got a good isekai to continue gaming in.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I'll miss him a lot. We'd sometimes stay on after a game and talk til dawn about the minutiae of RPG history, about philosophy, etc. He had lots of diverse interests. He could talk your ear off. I've been on opposite and same side of the GM screen with him many times over the years.
I wonder if I still have any game notes about his characters. I can't remember any stories off hand but that is not to say he wasn't a memorable player.
Because of the quirks of modernity he is still logged in on Discord as I type this; I can imagine he'll post a link about a new game or controversy any second now...
Trollzah, friend.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

I was part of the same game that Scitzz was in, Rappan Athuk, where I met Kayolan and formed a relationship with him and the gaming group we both shared. He was a constant encouragement to me and one of my favorite people to game with. I remember game sessions often having talk portions included, especially the legendary talks after game. Kayolan introduced me to C&C and brought me back to role playing games after a 14 year hiatus while I dealt with the issues of my life. Truly my world shifted with his passing, and I will miss him so much. It's still sinking in for me

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Dammit, sorry to hear this. RIP, Kayo.
I enjoyed gaming and talking with him through the years.
:-(
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth